The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 13, 2014, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Technical Foul to Start 3rd Quarter

This happened in the lower level boys game before mine.

Home is up by 25 at halftime and clearly the better team, so the atmosphere is pretty lax in the gym.

Vistor has the possession arrow and is about to inbound the ball to start the second half. Before the trail official hands Visitor the ball to inbound it, a home player decides that it's a great idea to jump up and snap the rim. Trail official decides to call a technical foul. So Visitor shoots the two free throws and then they inbound the ball opposite the table and the game continues. Home coach doesn't seem to care because he knows he's going to win (ended up being by 40+ points).

Later in the 3rd quarter, there is a held ball and the officials give the ball to the Visitors. Home coach doesn't like this and asks why. Official says that because there was a technical foul Visitor never "used" their AP throw-in. Home coach politely protests and the official then tells him that "technical fouls trump everything."

Should the the arrow should have switched after Visitor inbounded the ball after the technical foul? I can't find the exact ruling, but it would seem that if Visitor gets to inbound the ball after the technical foul AND they get the subsequent held ball that Home is being "punished" twice.

Who's correct?
Old Thu Feb 13, 2014, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Assuming FED rules were used, the officials were correct. THe penalty for the T is two shots and the ball. The "AP throw in to start the half" never happened.
Old Thu Feb 13, 2014, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

When do you reverse the possession arrow?
Old Thu Feb 13, 2014, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mregor View Post
It would have been when the ball was legally touched in bounds. Since there was a Technical foul first, the ball was not legally touched in bounds and the arrow is not reversed.
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 12:23am
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
It would have been when the ball was legally touched in bounds.
Or when the throwing team violated the throw-in.
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 02:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
Should the the arrow should have switched after Visitor inbounded the ball after the technical foul? I can't find the exact ruling, but it would seem that if Visitor gets to inbound the ball after the technical foul AND they get the subsequent held ball that Home is being "punished" twice.
NFHS 6-4-5
The opportunity to make an alternating-possession throw-in is lost if the throw-in team violates. If either team fouls during an alternating-possession throw-in, it does not cause the throw-in team to lose the possession arrow. If an opponent commits a violation during the throw-in, the possession arrow is postponed.

The rule reads "during" but the team entitled to the AP throw-in also keeps the possession arrow if there's a foul in the period before the ball becomes live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mregor View Post
In relation to the OP, the AP arrow will be reversed when the ball is legally touched following the next AP throw-in, whenever that takes place.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)

Last edited by JetMetFan; Fri Feb 14, 2014 at 02:44am.
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 09:16am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
This happened in the lower level boys game before mine.

Home is up by 25 at halftime and clearly the better team, so the atmosphere is pretty lax in the gym.

Vistor has the possession arrow and is about to inbound the ball to start the second half. Before the trail official hands Visitor the ball to inbound it, a home player decides that it's a great idea to jump up and snap the rim. Trail official decides to call a technical foul. So Visitor shoots the two free throws and then they inbound the ball opposite the table and the game continues. Home coach doesn't seem to care because he knows he's going to win (ended up being by 40+ points).

Later in the 3rd quarter, there is a held ball and the officials give the ball to the Visitors. Home coach doesn't like this and asks why. Official says that because there was a technical foul Visitor never "used" their AP throw-in. Home coach politely protests and the official then tells him that "technical fouls trump everything."

Who's correct?
You were doing the varsity game?
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 09:19am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Let me ask this.

Held ball situation between A1 and B1. AP goes to A. After the whistle, A1 shoves B1 away from him, you call the T. Who gets the ball, and does the arrow switch?
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Let me ask this.

Held ball situation between A1 and B1. AP goes to A. After the whistle, A1 shoves B1 away from him, you call the T. Who gets the ball, and does the arrow switch?
Team B would get the ball as a result of the T... The AP arrow would stay with team A...
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 04:41pm
C'mon man!!

Remind me... When does a player become a player and no longer bench personnel in this situation? When the ball becomes live, or as soon as the player enters the court to start the second half?
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 05:42pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAREF View Post
Team B would get the ball as a result of the T... The AP arrow would stay with team A...
Sorry, I was being rhetorical.

I should flip it around and ask the OP what he'd do if the arrow is pointing the other way.

Held ball, arrow to A. Coach for B subs in B56, who is not in the book. Now we have a T, so A will get the ball for the T and keep the arrow.

Is this unfair?