The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Wrong Way to Start Quarter

I was watching a game last Friday. Three man crew doing a great job so far in a well contested close game. Black's ball to start 3rd quarter. For some reason black is setup to go the wrong way and nobody, including the officials, notices. A1 throws ball in to A2 in what he thought was his backcourt (actually FC). A2 slowly dribbles toward what he thinks is his basket. Some hub bub starts up as coach, some fans and some players begin to realize he's going the wrong way and has a free path to his basket if he just turns around. A2 crosses the line with the ball before realizing. BC violation.

I was very surprised to see this as the officials were setup going in the wrong direction. Momentary mental lapse by all 3 officials... shouldn't happen but it did. I was spectating (on vacation in Ft Myers, decided to check out a game) and realized the error about the same time as the officials did, as A2 caught the ball. I could see them looking at eachother and preparing to sprint the other way.

Question: at what point does our option of stopping the game, getting everyone straightened out and then restarting, end? When ball is at thrower's disposal? If everyone stops and looks at us officials like "what should we do?" Or are we powerless once the mistake is made? Wait for A to score or violate...
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 03:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcof83 View Post

Question: at what point does our option of stopping the game, getting everyone straightened out and then restarting, end? When ball is at thrower's disposal? If everyone stops and looks at us officials like "what should we do?" Or are we powerless once the mistake is made? Wait for A to score or violate...
There is no point. This is not a correctable error; there is not a time limit on this issue. Once you notice the mistake, you fix it immediately.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

My understanding is that if this is an "everybody" mix up, then you stop it at whatever point it's discovered and turn everybody around. If it's a player or two that are confused, then you let it play out.

If letting it play out results in a score at the wrong basket or a violation...then take steps to get everybody straightened out before putting the ball back in play.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 03:55pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Was white defending the wrong basket? Were the officials set up incorrectly? If so, stop play and turn them around. If not, let it play out, IMO.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Was white defending the wrong basket? Were the officials set up incorrectly? If so, stop play and turn them around. If not, let it play out, IMO.
Yes and yes. OK, thanks.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 04:12pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

No problem. I believe there's a case play that spells this out, but my book is at home, so I can't verify.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

My only confusion in this is where the OP says A2 realizes it and crosses the division line for a backcourt violation. I thought that, in this case, where everyone is lined up incorrectly, the officials stop play when they realize it, and then just turn everyone around and continue on. I don't think this would be a BC violation. Wouldn't you stop the play, turn everyone around and give A a throw-in at the spot closest to where A2 is and then continue in the correct direction? If A2 had driven the length of the court and scored at the wrong basket (but the one everyone thinks is right) it would still be Team As points, right?
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

I've seen something like this set up as a designed play usually at the beginning of a quarter. A goes to the wrong end of the court on purpose. B follows. So A's real basket is unguarded and wide open. Thrown-in, dribble dribble dribble, then layup. This was going on in Iowa, primiarily in the girls games and the athletic union said that the officials should watch for this and not let it happen. Take time to notice how the teams are set and if they seem to be going the wrong way, let them know. Once they put the hammer down on this play, I haven't seen it happen since.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 07:38pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Roy "Wrong Way" Riegels ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
No problem. I believe there's a case play that spells this out.
5.2.1 SITUATION E: During the pregame practice period, the visiting team
properly uses the east goal and the home team the west goal. The officials, by
mistake, allow the jumpers to face the wrong direction to start the game. A1 controls
the tap by tapping the ball back to A2. A2, realizing that he/she had warmed
up at the basket behind A1, dribbles to that basket and scores an uncontested
basket. RULING: Score the basket for Team A. The officials should stop the game
and emphasize to both teams the proper direction. The mistake is an official's
error by allowing A1 and B1 to face the wrong direction; not a correctable error.

5.2.1 SITUATION F: During the pregame practice period, the visiting team
properly uses the east goal and the home team the west goal. The officials, by
mistake, allow the jumpers to face the wrong direction to start the game. Several
baskets are scored before it is recognized that both teams are throwing the ball
into the opponent’s basket. RULING: All points scored count as if the teams had
gone the right direction and scored in their own basket. Once the mistake is recognized,
play shall continue with each team attempting to score in its own basket.
(4-5-4)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Dec 09, 2009 at 07:41pm.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

Depends

My answer is it depends, sounds from the OP it was an officials error so get it straight.

But if the administrating official does what he is supposed to do, which is indicate color and point the direction, then there is nothing to be done.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckrog64 View Post
I've seen something like this set up as a designed play usually at the beginning of a quarter. A goes to the wrong end of the court on purpose. B follows. So A's real basket is unguarded and wide open. Thrown-in, dribble dribble dribble, then layup. This was going on in Iowa, primiarily in the girls games and the athletic union said that the officials should watch for this and not let it happen. Take time to notice how the teams are set and if they seem to be going the wrong way, let them know. Once they put the hammer down on this play, I haven't seen it happen since.
WOW! I believe that the athletic union in Iowa has overstepped. What are the officials supposed to do, not let the players line up in the backcourt? Deem all trick plays illegal?

I don't see how this is either enforceable or proper.