The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Start of 4th quarter..

Can someone point me in the right direction...

NFHS - Team A has the arrow to start the 4th quarter. I am the lead, and the trial administers the ball to team B by mistake. I notice because the action is going away from me so at first I think I am mistakenly gone to the wrong end, but my partner notices and blows the play dead. Five seconds has come off the clock. My partner decides just to kill the play and give Team A the ball at the division line. Was this the proper procedure.

I see that this is not covered in 2-10 correctable errors, and nothing in 6-4 regarding the arrow. Some "direction" would be appropriated. Thanks!
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 12:57pm
We don't rent pigs

There is a case play on this. 6.4.1 Situation D This is not a correctable error. Once the throw-in ends, it is too late. Leave the arrow where it is. Play on.
Say oops. Don't ever let it happen again.

Lonesome Dove

Last edited by just another ref; Wed Feb 25, 2009 at 01:00pm.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 12:59pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewPV View Post
Can someone point me in the right direction...

NFHS - Team A has the arrow to start the 4th quarter. I am the lead, and the trial administers the ball to team B by mistake. I notice because the action is going away from me so at first I think I am mistakenly gone to the wrong end, but my partner notices and blows the play dead. Five seconds has come off the clock. My partner decides just to kill the play and give Team A the ball at the division line. Was this the proper procedure.

I see that this is not covered in 2-10 correctable errors, and nothing in 6-4 regarding the arrow. Some "direction" would be appropriated. Thanks!
Nice pun.

Once the ball is touched inbounds, you can no longer retract this error.

Since you had 5 seconds comes off the clock, this was obviously the case, so your partner's decision was in error. However, with no changes of possession, etc., it does seem very much the right thing to do!

I officiate college football and we're told that if anything happens and we're unsure of the ruling, to not let the next play happen, and to question the Referee (white hat) of the ruling. I think the same should have been done here: even though you thought for a second that you were out of position, kill the play with your whistle, and now it's official's time. You then can either get to the other end of the court, or give the correct team the ball.

Secondly, when you're the Umpire, do you have a quick conversation with the Referee that includes what direction and who gets the ball for the throw-in to start a quarter? If not, consider adding it to your quarter-time habits.

Here's a thread where it was discussed that maybe it should be a CE: NOT a Correctable Error, BUT should it be???

You'll also need to tell the coach not receiving his rightful first possession of the quarter: "Coach, you'll get two of the next three."
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

No books
I am not sure if the throw in has to be completed or once it is at the disposal but if the throw in is given the wrong way there is nothing you can do about, however the arrow does not change the team that was slighted gets the next throw in.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 01:02pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF View Post
No books
I am not sure if the throw in has to be completed or once it is at the disposal but if the throw in is given the wrong way there is nothing you can do about, however the arrow does not change the team that was slighted gets the next throw in.
Yes - great idea to make sure that the arrow points in the proper direction for the next held ball situation!
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 01:05pm
Courageous When Prudent

Matthew, something I do at the end of every quarter (and when we walk back on the court after halftime) is confirm with my partner(s) who will be making the AP throw-in when the next quarter commences. Just something real quick that doesn't need a whole bunch of conversation: "White ball coming out" and proceed to my T-O position.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 01:07pm
#thereferee99

just to pick nits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Once the ball is touched inbounds, you can no longer retract this error.
Once the ball is legally touched inbounds... the throw-in ends.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 01:10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by referee99 View Post
Once the ball is legally touched inbounds... the throw-in ends.
Nice catch.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 01:22pm
#thereferee99

My empirical observation is that 4 out of 5 officials (HS and below) will blow the whistle, and re-do this, thinking that it is correctable and that they are entitled to "make it right."
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

The odd thing about all of this is that we did have a discussion about the arrow and color. My partner even said "white ball" and then handed it to blue. I didn't think you could stop the play, but i went with it. Game wasn't close so no one complained.

With that being said...say my partner kills the play, we discuss it, then proceed with the "wrong" team with the ball at the spot where we killed it, correct? And the arrow would stay with the "right team" and not be changed, correct?
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The odd thing about all of this is that we did have a discussion about the arrow and color. My partner even said "white ball" and then handed it to blue. I didn't think you could stop the play, but i went with it. Game wasn't close so no one complained.

With that being said...say my partner kills the play, we discuss it, then proceed with the "wrong" team with the ball at the spot where we killed it, correct? And the arrow would stay with the "right team" and not be changed, correct?
Correct.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 02:00pm

Quote:

If you do decide to create your own CE for this game, then yes, give B (correct team) the ball with A (incorrect team) getting the next arrow, provided that the elements to switch the arrow are met. Who knows: B might commit an illegal screen and give A the ball back anyways.

The only other option is to reset the clock to 8:00 and throw-in again from the division line opposite the table. If I'm the R on this game, I imagine that's what I would likely do.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
The only other option is to reset the clock to 8:00 and throw-in again from the division line opposite the table. If I'm the R on this game, I imagine that's what I would likely do.
JR - realize that probably no one int hte gym but you and your partner knows what to do here, and it isn't going to make a difference one way or the other,
but now you start really screwing things up if you put time on the clock and re-issue the throw in to the right team, knowing my luck if I did this, the coordinator for a conference I'm trying to get into is in the stands and I just kicked a couple of rules in front of them!

Don't do it!
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

I have to admit that my partner and I did the same thing a couple weeks ago. It was the start of the fourth quarter in a freshman game. Red had the arrow. I'm T and my partner takes his spot as L on red's end. For some reason, white's player walks over to the division line and after we count players, I bounce him the ball. They threw it in but we immediately blew it dead and brought it back. I realized after the game without even looking at the book that technically we should have let it go since the throw in had ended, but we made our own CE like someone said. At least I know now to not have my head firmly planted in my butt in between quarters, as this was pretty embarrassing.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 08:02pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Place your seats and tray tables in the upright, locked position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
There is a case play on this. 6.4.1 Situation D This is not a correctable error. Once the throw-in ends, it is too late. Leave the arrow where it is. Play on.
*6.4.1 SITUATION D: It is Team B’s turn for the next throw-in under the alternating procedure. By mistake, Team A is given that throw-in. RULING: Once the throw-in ends – it is too late to change anything. The possession arrow will remain or be pointed toward B’s basket so Team B will have the next throw-in under the alternating procedure.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)