Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 05:47pm
Esteemed Forum Member

In My Humble Opinion ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Yep, it's still a dribble, but it's interrupted.
It's one, or the other, it can't be both.

Or do we need a new definition for an uninterrupted dribble.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 05:57pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
It's one, or the other, it can't be both.

Or do we need a new definition for an uninterrupted dribble.
How exactly are they mutually exclusive?
A1 pushes the ball towards the floor as a regular dribble, then, he trips over his teammate before he can grab it again and he falls out of bounds. Are you calling him OOB?

More importantly, if the same action (as the OP) occurred in the middle of the court:

A1 trying to dribble around B1 pushes the ball ahead to the left of his defender and goes the other direction around B1. B2 sees the ball and starts to grab it. A1 requests a timeout?

Your call?
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 07:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Circular Logic ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
A1 pushes the ball toward the floor as a regular dribble, then, he trips over his teammate before he can grab it again ...
Good point Adam. Interrupted dribble, because the ball "momentarily gets away from the dribbler", which certainly fits the definition of an interrupted dribble, even though this started out as a "intentional" dribble.

Still, to me, the original post seems like it's not an interrupted dribble.

Maybe we have to use that circular logic, that I really, really hate to use, asking the question, "Would you grant a timeout?", to help us decide whether, or not, its a dribble, or an interrupted dribble? Man, I even hate typing those words.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 08:27pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Good point Adam. Interrupted dribble, because the ball "momentarily gets away from the dribbler", which certainly fits the definition of an interrupted dribble, even though this started out as a "intentional" dribble.

Still, to me, the original post seems like it's not an interrupted dribble.

Maybe we have to use that circular logic, that I really, really hate to use, asking the question, "Would you grant a timeout?", to help us decide whether, or not, its a dribble, or an interrupted dribble? Man, I even hate typing those words.
To me, it's similar to the whole (bogus) concept of the "controlled" tap. IMO, if the players isn't in control enough to grant a TO, he's not a dribbler. It may be a "controlled" interrupted dribble, but it's still interrupted. He voluntarily gave up control in order to avoid a violation; nothing wrong with that, IMO.
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

As I said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
The player made a smart, legal play. There will always be officials who see this as something that should be penalized but by rule, it's nothing.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith