The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

free throw violation of outside player

Question: What is the line of violation for a player in the back court after the ball has been handed to the shooter on the foul line? How close or how far can he be to the shooter before a violation occurs and how far upcourt (near the sideline) can he be?
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Take the two points were the free throw line extended meets the three point line and draw a line perpendicular to the corresponding sideline.

Now include the 3 point line between those two points.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 03:08pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen
Take the two points were the free throw line extended meets the three point line and draw a line perpendicular to the corresponding sideline.

Now include the 3 point line between those two points.
or more simply: must stay outside the 3-point arc and can't get deeper than the free throw line extended.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

awesome - thanks!
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esslingerdav
Question: What is the line of violation for a player in the back court after the ball has been handed to the shooter on the foul line? How close or how far can he be to the shooter before a violation occurs and how far upcourt (near the sideline) can he be?
The lines in the backcourt have nothing to do with a free throw violation. Disconcertion could apply, but the backcourt lines wouldn't be involved.

The answers above might need to reference the frontcourt since the backcourt was specifically referenced in the question.

ie. In the frontcourt, Take the two points were the free throw line extended meets the three point line and draw a line perpendicular to the corresponding sideline.

Now include the frontcourt 3 point line between those two points.

Sorry snaqs (below), I decided I was being too much of a smartypants and edited my post.

Last edited by SamIAm; Thu Feb 01, 2007 at 05:09pm.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 04:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm
The lines in the back court have nothing to do with a free throw violation. Disconcertion could apply, but the lines would have no effect.

I could supply more info here, but...
Please do.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

My post above made me stop and think. Does backcourt exist on a free throw? I decided when the official gives the ball to the shooter, you have a BC and a FC, but as soon as the try is on its way, no team possesion, therefore FC/BC is not set.

Is that correct?
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 06:40pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm
Does backcourt exist on a free throw?
The backcourt has no relevance on a FT that I can think off. Both teams always have a backcourt; the rules concerning violations though just apply at certain times. Players can go back and forth during a FT. The FT ends when it is certain that it won't be good or when the ball touches the floor or a player. Therefore if FT shooter throws the ball directly into the backcourt, it's a violation...but that violation really has got nothing to do with the backcourt. It's just a missed FT. Similarly, if a FT clangs off the ring directly into the backcourt without being touched, the FT will end when it touches the backcourt or a player in the backcourt. Or if the missed FT hits a rebounder in the front court and goes into the backcourt, again the FT ended on the touching in the front court. Iow, the backcourt itself doesn't have any significance during the FT...only after the FT ends.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Thu Feb 01, 2007 at 06:43pm.