The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 13, 2014, 08:11pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
So what if you know there was... say... .2 seconds on the clock when he was fouled. Do you then count the basket? But if the clock was out when he got the shot off, would the time of the foul matter?

Oh, I don't care about stats, so I didn't mean to go there with that. I was only speaking in terms of how we handle things.
If you have definite knowledge of the time on the clock when he was fouled, then you would put the time on the clock and count the basket, regardless of whether the horn sounded prior to the release.
Old Thu Feb 13, 2014, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
So what if you know there was... say... .2 seconds on the clock when he was fouled. Do you then count the basket? But if the clock was out when he got the shot off, would the time of the foul matter?
Yes. That basket would count since time didn't really expire. The horn erroneously sounded.

Technically, the clock should stop at the exact time of the foul. In practice, there will always be a bit of delay between the foul and the whistle and then from the whistle to the stopping of the clock. If you know how much time was on the clock when the whistle sounded, then you can put that back.

A slow whistle at the end of the game can disadvantage a team if time ultimately expires by the time you put air into the whistle for a foul and they can't get the shot off. The presence of the foul may have been the reason they couldn't get the shot off in time. If we call that foul when it actually occurs, the offended player will not get the shorted a shot they deserved.
Old Thu Feb 13, 2014, 08:57pm
Stubborn Member

Thanks, guys
Old Thu Feb 13, 2014, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

I don't necessarily have BI. You say, As the ball is going inside the hoop/net and before it leaves the net..

What's the intent of the rule? If the ball is through the basket but still in bottom of net, did touching net affect the ball? As I see this in my head, ball is in bottom of net and I got nothing. If still on rim, obviously yet but from what I read in your post I say count basket, shoot one. Warn A player he could have been called for BI if he touched net before ball went through. If I'm reading it wrong, then my reply would be different.
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 04:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mregor View Post
I don't necessarily have BI. You say, As the ball is going inside the hoop/net and before it leaves the net..

What's the intent of the rule? If the ball is through the basket but still in bottom of net, did touching net affect the ball?
Probably not, but you can't know that. Until it drops through, it has the possibility of getting flipped back out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mregor View Post
As I see this in my head, ball is in bottom of net and I got nothing. If still on rim, obviously yet but from what I read in your post I say count basket, shoot one. Warn A player he could have been called for BI if he touched net before ball went through. If I'm reading it wrong, then my reply would be different.
Practically, I'm probably doing nothing if it is falling through the bottom of the net....but if is still up in the net, it has to be BI.
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 04:18pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Probably not, but you can't know that. Until it drops through, it has the possibility of getting flipped back out.

Practically, I'm probably doing nothing if it is falling through the bottom of the net....but if is still up in the net, it has to be BI.
Follow up question to the BI/ GT, in 3-man, who has this call? L, T, or either?
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
Not L. L should not be looking up at the basket (at least in the half-court game)
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 04:31pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
The outside guys better get 99.9999999% of these.
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 04:59pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Not L. L should not be looking up at the basket (at least in the half-court game)
My mistake, I actually meant C or T. Does one have more responsibility or is it shared between both.
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My mistake, I actually meant C or T. Does one have more responsibility or is it shared between both.
In general, it falls on whoever does NOT have the shooter.