The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 13, 2014, 03:21am
Official Forum Member

Weird situation

Have not been able to get a 'correct' answer when asking officials from my association. What do you guys think?

Ball handler goes up for a lay up and gets fouled. As the ball is going inside the hoop/net and before it leaves the net a team mate of the ball handler jumps up and pulls on the net.

Obviously there is basket interference and no points is awarded, but does the player get one foul shot or two?
Old Thu Feb 13, 2014, 03:29am
We don't rent pigs

If you wave off the basket, he gets two free throws. I know what the rule says, but I personally have never seen basket interference called on either team for touching the net, and I wouldn't want to be the first. I'm interested to see what others say about that part.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Feb 13, 2014, 04:45am
AremRed

If the ball has already passed through the ring and is in the net, then I am scoring the basket. Gotta use some common sense, but if the pulling down changes the path of the ball then wipe it off and give the kid two FT's and tell the coach the teammate made a stupid play.
Old Thu Feb 13, 2014, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

If you're calling the BI, then the basket was missed. Two shots.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Feb 13, 2014, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjSpaceCaptain View Post
Have not been able to get a 'correct' answer when asking officials from my association. What do you guys think?

Ball handler goes up for a lay up and gets fouled. As the ball is going inside the hoop/net and before it leaves the net a team mate of the ball handler jumps up and pulls on the net.

Obviously there is basket interference and no points is awarded, but does the player get one foul shot or two?
Players cannot pull the net for any reason whatsoever. On your play I have basket interference. No basket, but the foul still stands. Player is shooting 2 free throws.
Old Thu Feb 13, 2014, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Had something like this last week. Time running out in the 1st quarter with team A on a fast break. While A1 was in his shooting motion he was fouled before the horn sounded.
The weird situation came in when the ball was still in his had when the horn when off, and when he did shoot it the ball went in. We ended up waving off the basket but sending the player to the line to shoot 2 shots.
Old Thu Feb 13, 2014, 04:38pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperbballref View Post
Had something like this last week. Time running out in the 1st quarter with team A on a fast break. While A1 was in his shooting motion he was fouled before the horn sounded.
The weird situation came in when the ball was still in his had when the horn when off, and when he did shoot it the ball went in. We ended up waving off the basket but sending the player to the line to shoot 2 shots.
Wouldn't you still count the basket here, under the "continuous motion" rule? I mean, how can you have a foul on an airborne shooter if the result of the shot doesn't matter? Or is that just the rule?
Old Thu Feb 13, 2014, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks everyone that is kinda what i thought. At the time, I was the one who called the foul and my partner was the one who called the basket good and the basket interference. He chose to give only one foul shot because we didn't know. The shooting team was up by 20 ish so it did not matter only having one shot.
Old Thu Feb 13, 2014, 05:19pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
Wouldn't you still count the basket here, under the "continuous motion" rule? I mean, how can you have a foul on an airborne shooter if the result of the shot doesn't matter? Or is that just the rule?
No. If the shot isn't released before the horn, it cannot count.
Old Thu Feb 13, 2014, 05:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Continuous Motion At The End Of A Period ...

Quote:
Wouldn't you still count the basket here, under the "continuous motion" rule?
No. The ball was still in his hand when the horn sounded. He's still get his free throws, with no rebounders along the lane, but the field goal won't count if the ball goes in.

If the ball had been released, and in the air, when the horn sounded, then the field goal would count, if the ball went in, and one free throw, with no rebounders, would be given to the shooter.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Feb 13, 2014, 05:25pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
No. If the shot isn't released before the horn, it cannot count.
That makes sense, it just seems odd that you can having free throws for a shooting foul if the shot itself doesn't count. Seems to me that either the shot counts and you have the free throws, or the shot doesn't count and there are no free throws.
Old Thu Feb 13, 2014, 05:27pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
No. The ball was still in his hand when the horn sounded. He's still get his free throws, with no rebounders along the lane, but the field goal won't count if the ball goes in.

If the ball had been released, and in the air, when the horn sounded, then the field goal would count, if the ball went in, and one free throw, with no rebounders, would be given to the shooter.
Okay. Just checking.

He was fouled in the act of shooting, therefore he gets free throws. However, since the ball wasn't released until after the horn sounded it's counted as a missed shot.
Old Thu Feb 13, 2014, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Okay. Just checking.

He was fouled in the act of shooting, therefore he gets free throws. However, since the ball wasn't released until after the horn sounded it's counted as a missed shot.
That's assuming you don't have definite knowledge as to how much time was on the clock when the foul occurred.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Feb 13, 2014, 05:45pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Okay. Just checking.

I wasn't aware missed shots counted against stats if the shooter was fouled.

Then again, I couldn't care less about stats.
Old Thu Feb 13, 2014, 07:53pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
That's assuming you don't have definite knowledge as to how much time was on the clock when the foul occurred.
So what if you know there was... say... .2 seconds on the clock when he was fouled. Do you then count the basket? But if the clock was out when he got the shot off, would the time of the foul matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I wasn't aware missed shots counted against stats if the shooter was fouled.

Then again, I couldn't care less about stats.
Oh, I don't care about stats, so I didn't mean to go there with that. I was only speaking in terms of how we handle things.