The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 04, 2014, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

technical administration

Player A1 is fouled by B1 sending to the line for a double bonus. Previous to the foul I noticed player A2 and B 2 taunting each other. I warned them both. After the foul A2 B2 got back together and jawed again. I then called a technical foul on A2and B2. Now how do we administer or where is this in the case play?
Old Tue Feb 04, 2014, 08:59pm
Back from the DL

Double technical, no free throws there. A1 shoots two. That is all.
Old Tue Feb 04, 2014, 11:32pm
Official Forum Member

I understand that part but do you shoot with the lane cleared or do you clear the lane and go with poi if last shot is made and poss arrow if last shot is missed? That is what the R had us do. I thought you would just shoot with persons in the lane
Old Tue Feb 04, 2014, 11:40pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonboys03 View Post
I understand that part but do you shoot with the lane cleared or do you clear the lane and go with poi if last shot is made and poss arrow if last shot is missed? That is what the R had us do. I thought you would just shoot with persons in the lane
I would think that you'd shoot the free throws as you normally would, as the techs negated one-another... making them non-existent outside of the scorebook (meaning they count towards a player's allotted five fouls, a player's allotted two techs, and counted as a team foul for each).
Old Tue Feb 04, 2014, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

It seems the POI is the administration of the free throws for the 1st foul, and that includes any subsequent action, such as the 2nd shot being missed and a rebound being available, or the 2nd shot being successful, and an endline throw-in for team B, anywhere along that endline.
Old Tue Feb 04, 2014, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

OK thanks that was my thinking as well. If anyone can find d a case play on this I would love to find it so my partners and I can learn from this one.
Old Tue Feb 04, 2014, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying that is how it should have been administered?
Old Wed Feb 05, 2014, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

Adminster fouls in the order they occur...

First foul entitled A to 2 FT's

Then you have a double technical foul...administer this next. All double fouls go to the POI. The POI is the 2 FT's in which A was entitled to.

When using the POI, one should think of the possession arrow as the last step in the checklist of way to resume.

So no, your R got the play wrong.

Funny enough, I had this exact play occur in my game tonight, and my two partners wanted to do similar to what your R said. I got them to administer it correctly.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Feb 05, 2014, 12:56am
Official Forum Member

OK APG so just to make sure I'm clear on the understanding we should have reported the common foul, report the double t fouls, do not clear the lane, administer the free throws and allow play to continue?
Old Wed Feb 05, 2014, 12:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
OK APG so just to make sure I'm clear on the understanding we should have reported the common foul, report the double t fouls, do not clear the lane, administer the free throws and allow play to continue?
Correct
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Feb 05, 2014, 08:33am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I understand that part but do you shoot with the lane cleared or do you clear the lane and go with poi if last shot is made and poss arrow if last shot is missed? That is what the R had us do...
That's makes absolutely no sense. POI = A1's 2 free throws

Your crew chief (and APG's crew) needs to get back in the books.
Old Wed Feb 05, 2014, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
OK thanks that was my thinking as well. If anyone can find d a case play on this I would love to find it so my partners and I can learn from this one.
4.19.8D (last years book) -- if you can accept that it doesn't matter if it's a 1-1 or 2-shot foul, and if you can accept that it doesn't matter whether the double fouls were T or P.
Old Wed Feb 05, 2014, 12:53pm
Administrator

Quote:
Player A1 is fouled by B1 sending to the line for a double bonus. Previous to the foul I noticed player A2 and B 2 taunting each other. I warned them both. After the foul A2 B2 got back together and jawed again. I then called a technical foul on A2and B2. Now how do we administer or where is this in the case play?

The Double Technical Foul by A2 ans B2 is the foul that causes this foul sequence to be a False Double Foul. BUT!! The DTF causes the POI Procedure to be applied. The ball is to put into play as if B1's foul against A1 is the only foul that was committed.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio