The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 23, 2002, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I was always under the impression that we were to administer free throws in the order in which the corresponding infractions happened. For instance, if a common foul occurs that is the team's 7th (making for a one and one situation) and that foul is immediately followed by a technical on the same player, we should shoot the 1&1 first with the lane cleared and then the tech right? This situation happened in a college game I was watching tonight and the officials administered the TECH first and then lined the players up for the 1&1. I was wondering if a) they were right and I was mistaken, b) they were right and it's a difference between NCAA and NFHS, or c) they were wrong.

Would my notion only hold true if the fouls are on different teams?
Old Sat Nov 23, 2002, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by mpeterson_1
I was always under the impression that we were to administer free throws in the order in which the corresponding infractions happened. For instance, if a common foul occurs that is the team's 7th (making for a one and one situation) and that foul is immediately followed by a technical on the same player, we should shoot the 1&1 first with the lane cleared and then the tech right? This situation happened in a college game I was watching tonight and the officials administered the TECH first and then lined the players up for the 1&1. I was wondering if a) they were right and I was mistaken, b) they were right and it's a difference between NCAA and NFHS, or c) they were wrong.

Would my notion only hold true if the fouls are on different teams?
They were right. Under NCAA T's are administered at the
point of interuption. Under NFHS the administration of the
T would follow the 1&1.
Old Sun Nov 24, 2002, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I don't know if Dan's explanation really needs my help here, the procedure for administering technical fouls differs between Fed rules and NCAA rules.

In Fed rules, you would be exactly correct: penalize all fouls in the order in which they occured (if order can be determined). So if the situation you described had happened in a HS game, you would shoot the 1-and-1 with the lane cleared, then shoot the T (obviously with the lane cleared), and then give possession at midcourt.

In the NCAA (like the NBA), technical fouls are penalized immediately and play is resumed from wherever it was interrupted. So the officials in the game you saw did it correctly.

Chuck