The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 04, 2005, 12:37am
I got a Basketball Jones!

Fed rules
Is there a Fed rule that dictates players must retreat beyond the division line during technical free throw administration??
If so, please provide rules citation.

Thx
Old Mon Apr 04, 2005, 01:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by justacoach
Fed rules
Is there a Fed rule that dictates players must retreat beyond the division line during technical free throw administration??
If so, please provide rules citation.

Thx
Don't have my books with me, but technical free throws are shot with the lane cleared - meaning all players except shooter must be behind both the 3 point arc and the free throw line extended. I don't recall there being any specific provision requiring them to be behind the division line, but it's late & I'm unable to verify that. Correct me if I'm wrong guys.......
Old Mon Apr 04, 2005, 02:06am
In Memoriam

Tim be correct. Rules references are NFHS rules 8-1-3 and 8-1-5.
Old Mon Apr 04, 2005, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

... not just during technicals, but during any shot when the ball will remain dead after the shot.
Old Mon Apr 04, 2005, 10:39am
certified Hot Mom tester

Thinking there is an NF rule that the players must be behind the division line in this situation is an old wives of coaches tale.

Put it in the same category as not being able to legally request a timeout when a five count is past four, not being able to take a charge when you are standing directly under the basket and getting the ball at midcourt following a timeout near the end of the game after rebounding a missed free throw.
Old Mon Apr 04, 2005, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Thinking there is an NF rule that the players must be behind the division line in this situation is an old wives of coaches tale.

Put it in the same category as not being able to legally request a timeout when a five count is past four, not being able to take a charge when you are standing directly under the basket and getting the ball at midcourt following a timeout near the end of the game after rebounding a missed free throw.
I'm glad you brought up the charge under the basket. I had an assistant coach go nuts on me about something like that. I don't see what kind of advantage standing under the basket and getting run over would be anyway.
Old Mon Apr 04, 2005, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

At least that ones you mention, Mark, either are or were once rules at some level.

[Edited by Camron Rust on Apr 4th, 2005 at 04:34 PM]
Old Mon Apr 04, 2005, 03:05pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Tim be correct. Rules references are NFHS rules 8-1-3 and 8-1-5.
Thanks, JR.. This will earn a game check for the charity that ran the tournament where a technical foul was assessed because of the application of a non-existant rule.
Old Mon Apr 04, 2005, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The idea of this is to avoid confusion. I noticed that if we tell the players to "stand outside the 3-point arc" or to "clear the lane", they will try to get the rebound after the 2nd FT (at least for younger players). Saying "everybody behind the division line" avoid such confusion, though I know there is no rule supporting it.