The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 09:52am
Often wrong never n doubt

Where to take the ball out.

Player is holding the ball with his left foot in front of his right. His left foot is in the top of the key circle. His right foot is not. The ball is being held very closely to the circle but not actually over it. The coach requests time out. Is the ball put in play on the sideline due to the ball not being in the circle or is it put in play on the end line because the foot in the circle causes the ball to have "in the circle status"?
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
Player is holding the ball with his left foot in front of his right. His left foot is in the top of the key circle. His right foot is not. The ball is being held very closely to the circle but not actually over it. The coach requests time out. Is the ball put in play on the sideline due to the ball not being in the circle or is it put in play on the end line because the foot in the circle causes the ball to have "in the circle status"?
Well, if he shot from there, would it be a 2- or a 3-point shot? (rhetorical)

that's how I'd rule on it.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
I'd use the ball location to determine the spot. Since OP says that the ball was not over the circle, I'd put the throw-in at the spot on the sideline nearest the ball.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Well, if he shot from there, would it be a 2- or a 3-point shot? (rhetorical)

that's how I'd rule on it.
I like this rationale. But after thinking about it a little more and following this same logic, if there is just a toe on the line, but the rest of the players body and the ball are outside the circle then I am putting that ball in play on the sideline. So, I am thinking that location of the ball is more my determining factor and when in doubt, I am putting in play on the end line.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotto View Post
I'd use the ball location to determine the spot. Since OP says that the ball was not over the circle, I'd put the throw-in at the spot on the sideline nearest the ball.
If the ball is touching a player, then ball location = player location.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 10:41am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathReferee View Post
I like this rationale. But after thinking about it a little more and following this same logic, if there is just a toe on the line, but the rest of the players body and the ball are outside the circle then I am putting that ball in play on the sideline. So, I am thinking that location of the ball is more my determining factor and when in doubt, I am putting in play on the end line.
How is ball location defined in the rules (note, it has little to do with it's actual physical location.)
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 10:44am
Stubborn Member

What about going with the majority of the player's body?

I mean, if most of his/her body is outside the arc, then the ball is inbounded on the sideline. And if most of his/her body is inside the arc, then the ball is inbounded on the endline.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 10:46am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
What about going with the majority of the player's body?

I mean, if most of his/her body is outside the arc, then the ball is inbounded on the sideline. And if most of his/her body is inside the arc, then the ball is inbounded on the endline.
Ball location is defined specifically in the book, otherwise I'd agree with this.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 10:48am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Ball location is defined specifically in the book, otherwise I'd agree with this.
I see it now... yeah. The ball would be defined as being inside the arc (as the player in control of the ball is partly inside the arc), therefore the ball would be inbounded on the endline.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
How is ball location defined in the rules (note, it has little to do with it's actual physical location.)
Oops. Thanks.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 03:12pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
That was an excellent question Jeremy. I am going to vote with the others and say ball location. Touching the circle puts the ball in the key. TI on end line. Never thought about it that closely before. Thanks.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 03:40pm
Often wrong never n doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
That was an excellent question Jeremy. I am going to vote with the others and say ball location. Touching the circle puts the ball in the key. TI on end line. Never thought about it that closely before. Thanks.
I had the question just by luck as I had it happen last night at the end of the 3rd overtime. Defensive Coach was not happy with our spot.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 04:10pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
I had the question just by luck as I had it happen last night at the end of the 3rd overtime. Defensive Coach was not happy with our spot.
So did you get it right?
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
So did you get it right?
Did the coach know where the spot was before going into the huddle for the TO?
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 05:20pm
Get away from me, Steve.

If you have to pick nits, it goes on the end line. Easy enough.