The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Where to take the ball out. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97135-where-take-ball-out.html)

jeremy341a Wed Jan 29, 2014 09:52am

Where to take the ball out.

Player is holding the ball with his left foot in front of his right. His left foot is in the top of the key circle. His right foot is not. The ball is being held very closely to the circle but not actually over it. The coach requests time out. Is the ball put in play on the sideline due to the ball not being in the circle or is it put in play on the end line because the foot in the circle causes the ball to have "in the circle status"?

bob jenkins Wed Jan 29, 2014 09:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 920205)
Player is holding the ball with his left foot in front of his right. His left foot is in the top of the key circle. His right foot is not. The ball is being held very closely to the circle but not actually over it. The coach requests time out. Is the ball put in play on the sideline due to the ball not being in the circle or is it put in play on the end line because the foot in the circle causes the ball to have "in the circle status"?

Well, if he shot from there, would it be a 2- or a 3-point shot? (rhetorical)

that's how I'd rule on it.

Lotto Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:09am

I'd use the ball location to determine the spot. Since OP says that the ball was not over the circle, I'd put the throw-in at the spot on the sideline nearest the ball.

MathReferee Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 920207)
Well, if he shot from there, would it be a 2- or a 3-point shot? (rhetorical)

that's how I'd rule on it.

I like this rationale. But after thinking about it a little more and following this same logic, if there is just a toe on the line, but the rest of the players body and the ball are outside the circle then I am putting that ball in play on the sideline. So, I am thinking that location of the ball is more my determining factor and when in doubt, I am putting in play on the end line.

bob jenkins Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lotto (Post 920209)
I'd use the ball location to determine the spot. Since OP says that the ball was not over the circle, I'd put the throw-in at the spot on the sideline nearest the ball.

If the ball is touching a player, then ball location = player location.

Adam Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MathReferee (Post 920212)
I like this rationale. But after thinking about it a little more and following this same logic, if there is just a toe on the line, but the rest of the players body and the ball are outside the circle then I am putting that ball in play on the sideline. So, I am thinking that location of the ball is more my determining factor and when in doubt, I am putting in play on the end line.

How is ball location defined in the rules (note, it has little to do with it's actual physical location.)

BryanV21 Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:44am

What about going with the majority of the player's body?

I mean, if most of his/her body is outside the arc, then the ball is inbounded on the sideline. And if most of his/her body is inside the arc, then the ball is inbounded on the endline.

Adam Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanV21 (Post 920228)
What about going with the majority of the player's body?

I mean, if most of his/her body is outside the arc, then the ball is inbounded on the sideline. And if most of his/her body is inside the arc, then the ball is inbounded on the endline.

Ball location is defined specifically in the book, otherwise I'd agree with this.

BryanV21 Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 920231)
Ball location is defined specifically in the book, otherwise I'd agree with this.

I see it now... yeah. The ball would be defined as being inside the arc (as the player in control of the ball is partly inside the arc), therefore the ball would be inbounded on the endline.

MathReferee Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 920224)
How is ball location defined in the rules (note, it has little to do with it's actual physical location.)

Oops. Thanks.

Sharpshooternes Wed Jan 29, 2014 03:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 920205)

That was an excellent question Jeremy. I am going to vote with the others and say ball location. Touching the circle puts the ball in the key. TI on end line. Never thought about it that closely before. Thanks.

jeremy341a Wed Jan 29, 2014 03:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes (Post 920331)
That was an excellent question Jeremy. I am going to vote with the others and say ball location. Touching the circle puts the ball in the key. TI on end line. Never thought about it that closely before. Thanks.

I had the question just by luck as I had it happen last night at the end of the 3rd overtime. Defensive Coach was not happy with our spot.

Sharpshooternes Wed Jan 29, 2014 04:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 920340)
I had the question just by luck as I had it happen last night at the end of the 3rd overtime. Defensive Coach was not happy with our spot.

So did you get it right?

SNIPERBBB Wed Jan 29, 2014 05:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes (Post 920354)
So did you get it right?

Did the coach know where the spot was before going into the huddle for the TO?

Rich Wed Jan 29, 2014 05:20pm

If you have to pick nits, it goes on the end line. Easy enough.