The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 10:52am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG_Ref View Post
In some areas, officials are expected to go to the table to verify the final score. Maybe this is one of those areas.
What a horrible policy. We are required to confirm, but it doesn't require our actual presence at the table after the final horn.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 10:55am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
Coaches and players are going to say things "in the heat of the moment". We've all seen/heard it before. We're taught to ignore statements, which is what this coach made. I don't know about PA rules, but something tells me this coach wouldn't be able to blackball the official from working any games in that league. So who cares about what he said?

Looks like a case of an official that's too thin-skinned. The coach clearly did not intend to bump him, and the official should have just ignored the coach's statement and left the court.
Do you know what was said? A threat "You'll never..." is not just a statement that can be ignored. Calling an official thin skinned for reacting to that is part of the sportsmanship problem, not the solution.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Not a BB Official however, if after 30 years of officiating anything, this little incident bothers you that much??

("Tucci has told the high school athletic governing body that the incident has "affected me horribly")

Then I have to question your reaction or over-reaction to a ordinary foul.

Without condoning any contact, just maybe, the Coach is right!!!
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 10:59am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Do you know what was said? A threat "You'll never..." is not just a statement that can be ignored. Calling an official thin skinned for reacting to that is part of the sportsmanship, not the solution.
It's not like the coach threatened the official physically. Like I said, unless coaches in PA really can get an official blackballed by the league, then it's more of an emtpy-threat than anything. And why make a big deal about an empty-threat?

I didn't see the whole game, so the context may be totally different than what I know, but if I put myself in the video I would have just ran off the court and forgot about the entire ordeal. Just another coach complaining about a call/no-call. And in that case, I'd go into the locker room and ask my partners if something was missed.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 11:01am
Back from the DL

Incidental contact. Move on.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 11:04am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
It's not like the coach threatened the official physically. Like I said, unless coaches in PA really can get an official blackballed by the league, then it's more of an emtpy-threat than anything. And why make a big deal about an empty-threat?

I didn't see the whole game, so the context may be totally different than what I know, but if I put myself in the video I would have just ran off the court and forgot about the entire ordeal. Just another coach complaining about a call/no-call. And in that case, I'd go into the locker room and ask my partners if something was missed.
Around here, and everywhere I have worked, if a coach makes this threat, it's a flagrant T. It doesn't matter how empty that threat is. As far as I know, it's the same for most locations.

That said, I'm not going to be at the table after a game anyway. I know too many officials that, for whatever reason, like to go shake hands with the table crew after the game.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 11:13am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Around here, and everywhere I have worked, if a coach makes this threat, it's a flagrant T. It doesn't matter how empty that threat is. As far as I know, it's the same for most locations.

That said, I'm not going to be at the table after a game anyway. I know too many officials that, for whatever reason, like to go shake hands with the table crew after the game.
Really? A flagrant T? That seems a bit excessive, but okay.

I've never heard anything like that said, and maybe this is why.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

How would you have delt with this? Would you have blown you whistle and given him a post game ejection?

a la baseball?

Not being sarcastic, I am legitimately asking how your area would handle it.

-General George S. Patton, Jr.

Last edited by j51969; Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 12:07pm.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 12:06pm

Incidental contact. The coach to me is walking around the official as the official is backing up and away from the table. That being said, get out of dodge after the final whistle. Having to go to the table is ridiculous.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 12:30pm
Esteemed Participant

I seriously doubt that there was any such policy in that area, based on the fact that the two partners were standing over by the door waiting for this official. They were headed off and had to stop and wait.

As far as the "bump"...good grief. The official had as mush to do with that contact as the coach did.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not convinced there was any physical contact between the coach and ref based on the video. Seems like there was some awkward steps by the ref and a quick stop by the coach. When the ref turns there is some distance between the two.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I've never had a coach threaten me with the "You'll never work here again" line. I did have a coach threaten to give me a bad rating last year during a game and he earned a T. I didn't really consider a Flagrant T for that threat to be honest. I felt the T was enough.

As far as shaking hands with the table: That's what you do before the game. If you need to thank them later on, do it during a late timeout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j51969 View Post
How would you have delt with this? Would you have blown you whistle and given him a post game ejection?

a la baseball?

We have to file reports with the state for all technical fouls that involve sportsmanship. I have given a postgame technical before just so I could report it to the state. A coach didn't say anything to us the last several minutes of the game, then when I had to run by his bench on the way off the court he decided to get a shot in, knowing that the game was over. With most other coaches I would have ignored it, but this guy's reputation didn't help him very much.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 12:51pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

a la baseball?

Something like that. It's all in the paperwork at this point. Have the scorer mark it, and be sure to report it. The second step is more important than the first.

Again, none of this happens if the official gets off the court.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

a la baseball?

If there was really a bump, or if the comments rose to that level, yes. At least report it to the table.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 01:03pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Film don't lie, Mr. Official.