The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 08:03am
Go Blue

Officials demanding coach’s suspension for bumping ref even after video shows otherwi

I have not seen this posted yet.

Y! SPORTS

Last edited by Adam; Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 11:06am. Reason: video added
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 08:30am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Ye old, "you need to let the kids determine the game," argument.

I guess they made ALL their foul shots and layups.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 08:33am
Do not give a damn!!

My question is why the official even over there at that time of the game? The game is over, get off the court.

I do not see a deliberate bump, but the coach is saying something to the official. Not sure what, but saying something. So he is not totally clean possibly if the officials has reported the comments. But the official should have never been there in the first place.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 08:41am
Eschew obfuscation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
My question is why the official even over there at that time of the game? The game is over, get off the court.

I do not see a deliberate bump, but the coach is saying something to the official. Not sure what, but saying something. So he is not totally clean possibly if the officials has reported the comments. But the official should have never been there in the first place.

Peace
That was my first thought as well... There is no reason for us to be over there after the game is over and teams are shaking hands.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace
In some areas, officials are expected to go to the table to verify the final score. Maybe this is one of those areas.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

I am sure the coach said something completely ignorant in conjuctjion with what was reported (nothing none of us haven't heard before). He didn't touch this guy, and is clearly looking for a path around him. The coach held up in order to not bump into him. The official couldn't get out to there fast enough, and wasn't watching where he was going. This Tucci guy is a douche, and clearly setting himself up for a law suit. Tucci has told the high school athletic governing body that the incident has "affected me horribly. I have a very uncomfortable feeling as soon as I step on the floor". Looks like it's time to retire.

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 09:26am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG_Ref View Post
In some areas, officials are expected to go to the table to verify the final score. Maybe this is one of those areas.
And still stupid if required. Get off the damn floor. Nothing good can come out of doing what he did in this video.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I do not see a deliberate bump, but the coach is saying something to the official. Not sure what, but saying something.

Peace
Quote from the story:

"While Bisignani can be seen expressing his displeasure to the official on the tape (Tucci told the WPIAL that Bisignani shouted, "you'll never work another GCC game again; you need to let the kids determine the game”)"
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

So does not the governing body there not have the ability to suspend the coach a few games if they deem it necessary? Why penalize the entire team here if they gave fulfilled all other requirements to enter the playoffs?
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j51969 View Post
I am sure the coach said something completely ignorant in conjuctjion with what was reported (nothing none of us haven't heard before). He didn't touch this guy, and is clearly looking for a path around him. The coach held up in order to not bump into him. The official couldn't get out to there fast enough, and wasn't watching where he was going. This Tucci guy is a douche, and clearly setting himself up for a law suit. Tucci has told the high school athletic governing body that the incident has "affected me horribly. I have a very uncomfortable feeling as soon as I step on the floor". Looks like it's time to retire.
My feelings are similar. After looking at the video and reading an article about what happened, I would be more inclined to suspend the ref than the coach or team. He is making a big deal out of nothing.

Last edited by Hartsy; Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 09:44am. Reason: additional comments
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

I agree that it doesn't appear that the coach intended to bump him. He did, however, intentionally get within a few inches of the official in order to threaten him and in that process inadvertently bumped the official when the official tried to leave.

So don't suspended him for the bump; suspend him for threatening an official.

(Yes, the official shouldn't have been there. That doesn't give the coach carte blanche.)
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
So does not the governing body there not have the ability to suspend the coach a few games if they deem it necessary? Why penalize the entire team here if they gave fulfilled all other requirements to enter the playoffs?
No they don't...

"We have no jurisdiction over personnel at schools," WPIAL executive director Tim O'Malley told the Post-Gazette, placing Bisignani's team on probation through 2014-15 and recommending he attend a coaching seminar. "That's a district issue. But we do have jurisdiction over schools. Greensburg Central can do what they want. But if they choose not to follow our directive, then they will be kept out of the postseason."
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen View Post
No they don't...

"We have no jurisdiction over personnel at schools," WPIAL executive director Tim O'Malley told the Post-Gazette, placing Bisignani's team on probation through 2014-15 and recommending he attend a coaching seminar. "That's a district issue. But we do have jurisdiction over schools. Greensburg Central can do what they want. But if they choose not to follow our directive, then they will be kept out of the postseason."
I found that whole statement a little confusing -- not knowing how PA structures it's "athletics association" or exactly what the WPIAL is.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 10:39am
Stubborn Member

Coaches and players are going to say things "in the heat of the moment". We've all seen/heard it before. We're taught to ignore statements, which is what this coach made. I don't know about PA rules, but something tells me this coach wouldn't be able to blackball the official from working any games in that league. So who cares about what he said?

Looks like a case of an official that's too thin-skinned. The coach clearly did not intend to bump him, and the official should have just ignored the coach's statement and left the court.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

1. Get rid of the requirement to physically go to scorers table to verify final score. A quick reminder at some point during the 4th QTR to the table (R will make eye contact we are good to go at the final buzzer).

Result:

1. Coaches can loss his Sh!t in the locker room where it belongs.

2. Mr. Tucci can run off the court to his locker room, and is not suffering from post tramactic stress.

-General George S. Patton, Jr.