The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 24, 2014, 11:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

Fights

Just a reminder to those that are on this board. If you have a fight, take your time and do what you feel is right. Call what you see and take your time to administer all the rules.

A couple of my associations talked about fights before the season and I had one tonight and that information helped me slow down to get this situation right to the best of our ability. I still feel like something might have been missed, but that is what happens when chaos takes place.

If it has not happen to you, feel lucky.

Peace
Old Sat Jan 25, 2014, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

Excellent advice. Only so much we can do without video review at the HS level.
Old Sat Jan 25, 2014, 06:35am
Esteemed Forum Member

There But For The Grace Of God, Go I ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Just a reminder to those that are on this board. If you have a fight, take your time and do what you feel is right. Call what you see and take your time to administer all the rules. If it has not happen to you, feel lucky.
Other than two individual opponents "pounding" on each other, I've been lucky for thirty-three years. Your advice to take your time, and administer all the rules, is excellent. I believe that my participation on this Forum will help me do what is needed to be done if, or rather, when, a fight comes my way.

JRutledge: After reading your posts over the past several years, and occasionally debating situations with you , I'm confident that you handled your fight as well as anybody else on the Forum could have.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Jan 25, 2014, 07:36am
Official Forum Member

Chaos

Administering the rules is one thing and catching ALL the action is another. Unless you can watch both benches and all 10 PLAYERS (those on the court) it is going to be hard to get catch everything. Down here, brawls are closely scrutinized via tape and the officials hardly ever catch it all. It is chaotic and there are not a lot of places to practice for these kinds of situations.

Like most on here, I believe that Rut would have administered all that they saw correctly. But, I'd be very interested in Rut's detailed account - number of players fighting, number leaving bench not fighting, number leaving bench and fighting, coaches beckoned or not, free throws shot, coaches ejected or not, number of fouls charged to each team, resumption of play.
Old Sat Jan 25, 2014, 11:24am
Do not give a damn!!

Here is what happened. Of course I will not mention many specifics.

Game was late in the 3rd Quarter. We really no incidents or unsporting behavior.

Well A11 goes to the basket and is fouled by B24. A11 is knocked to the floor and A11 comes up and gets in the face of B24. Players come together and A11 kicks either B24 or one of the B players after he gets up (Flagrant foul on A11).

This all took place in front of the A's bench (visiting team) and I see A 22 come over and push a B player as he passed me to confront the B player. The B player does not react (surprisingly). A22 is given a flagrant foul as well.

Also a lot of security and administrators come in and separate players. I see the HC from B come off the bench and grab a couple of his players as he had to go on the other end of the court to do so.

While all this was going on, A10 who was on the bench came came to the confrontation, but did not appear to participate.

I can honestly tell you I have no idea if any A players came off the bench. If they did we missed it. My partner picked up the B player coming of the bench. The chaos is it happened so fast and with adults that were not directly associated with the teams, it was hard to figure out who was doing what, but we did the best we can. I would love to see the video to see if anyone else participated or even if we missed how some other actions

It took us about 10 minutes to sort everything out. I was the Referee. I told the table personnel to write down all the names and numbers for me so I could put in the report. Administration of the game was very helpful. Everyone but the kids were calm. When we explained to A's coach that he had two players ejected, he was a little upset, but not to us. The B coach who lost the coaching box was also upset, but not with us. It was a bad situation, but a comforting one too, because the people that needed to be calm were.

You are never too experienced to learn something on the court. I learned a lot by this situation.

Peace
Old Sat Jan 25, 2014, 01:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Well Done JRutledge ...

Quote:
We did the best we can ... .
And that's all that anyone can ask of us. Nothing more.

Quote:
It took us about 10 minutes to sort everything out ... .
No need to rush. The kids can't start playing without you.

Quote:
I told the table personnel to write down all the names and numbers for me so I could put in the report ....
Rookies take note. This is a great idea. Why try to commit such details to memory? I do this any time I have any type of incident that needs reporting to my assignment commissioner, and/our the state interscholastic sports governing body.

Quote:
You are never too experienced to learn something on the court. I learned a lot by this situation.
As did we. That's why we keep visiting the Forum.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sat Jan 25, 2014, 02:59pm
beware big brother

JRut,

What two teams, or are you going to make me dig through the paper to find out.
Old Sat Jan 25, 2014, 03:03pm
beware big brother

Never mind, didn't even have to dig, was right on the fist page of southtown sports. Not surprised by one of the teams, they have a number of thugs playing for them.
Old Sat Jan 25, 2014, 07:58pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
Never mind, didn't even have to dig, was right on the fist page of southtown sports. Not surprised by one of the teams, they have a number of thugs playing for them.
Richard Sherman plays on their team?
Old Sat Jan 25, 2014, 08:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Hate JRutledge ...

You heard right. I'll say it again. I hate JRutledge. I've never worked with him. I've never met the man. I don't even know what he looks like. But I still hate JRutledge.

Why? Because he's a jinx. I haven't had any weird plays all season long. So what happens? JRutledge posts a weird play on Friday night, and now I have to post a weird play on Saturday night. JRutledge is a jinx.

Boys varsity. Two good suburban teams. League game, big rivalry. Close game for the entire game. Third period. Absolutely no problems up until this point.

V1 gets a pass at the high post. He pivots, and in doing so, swings his elbows, not excessively, and accidentally strikes H1 in the head. My partner, and I, both sound our whistles for a foul, but before we can do anything else, H1, the foulee, intentionally tries to hit the ball out of V1's hands, and in doing so strikes V1 on the arm. Now, both H1, and V1, start posturing for each other's benefit. I get between them to prevent any bloodshed, and a few seconds later, my partner sees V2 push H1 in the back.

My partner, and I, get together to figure it all out, which take a few minutes. Then we get both coaches together to inform them of our decisions. They have lots of questions for us, so that take a few minutes. The we report the fouls to the scorekeeper: Intentional personal on V1, technical foul on H1, and technical foul on V2. Nothing flagrant, no disqualifications. H1 shoots two free throws. V shoots two free throws. H shoots two free throws. H gets the ball at the division line.

To quote the great Frankie Valli, "Oh What A Night".

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 26, 2014 at 12:12pm.
Old Sun Jan 26, 2014, 01:13am
Get away from me, Steve.

Hey, Jeff, it could've been worse:

South Carolina HS team wins in overtime with three players following brawl (VIDEO) - NCAA Basketball - Sporting News
Old Sun Jan 26, 2014, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

That is worse for sure. The couple games I have had over my careers where there was bad blood between the teams I always made it clear to both coaches that if ANYTHING were to happen on the court to FIRST make sure their bench stayed put and that they were allowed on the court to break things up. I also requested that he convey that message to his/her team before the game.

But hey sometimes sh!t happens.
Old Sun Jan 26, 2014, 11:25am
This IS My Social Life

No Such Thing as a Jinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
JRutledge posts a weird play on Friday night, and now I have to post a weird pay on Saturday night. . . . a jinx.
I did not read this thread. I did not read this thread. I did not read this thread.
Old Sun Jan 26, 2014, 01:23pm
wife loves the goatee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
I did not read this thread. I did not read this thread. I did not read this thread.
What thread?