The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

MLK Tournament - No FIGHTS

We have a big tournament with some of the top teams in the state. Last year during a different tournament on MLK day there were fights in the game.

What should I say in the pregame with the captains & coaches to get the game started off on the right foot? I was thinking that everyone from both teams could meet in the middle for the pregame and we could emphasize sportsmanship.

I thought about mentioning that last year there was a fight in a game I officiatied on MLK day and that we WILL NOT have that happen today.

How about talking to the captains about their leadership and that today they have a great responsibility to look out for their teams and coaches.

My game is in a couple of hours so I was just looking for some ideas.

I am caucasion, does that change how you think I should approach this?

On a side note what would you do if A12 doesn't like a call you make and sits down at half court to "peacefully protest" a call.
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

I think since it's an MLK tourney, you have an opportunity to use that as part of your pre-game. I don't see anything wrong with making mention of it...The fact that I'm white doesn't really play into it to me, cause if MLK were lining up for the tip, he'd be ok with me reffing!

On the question about peaceful protest....I guess I'd have to see the action leading up to the sit in....
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 10:45am
Huck Finn

I think you should do what you normally do in any other game.

BTW, how can you tell the players there will not be a fight in your game and be sure? Since you can't, I would leave that out along with any mention of a previous fight. You know what you are up against. Just call the game.
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Remind the kids to read...

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Heart
We have a big tournament with some of the top teams in the state. Last year during a different tournament on MLK day there were fights in the game.

What should I say in the pregame with the captains & coaches to get the game started off on the right foot? I was thinking that everyone from both teams could meet in the middle for the pregame and we could emphasize sportsmanship.

I thought about mentioning that last year there was a fight in a game I officiatied on MLK day and that we WILL NOT have that happen today.

How about talking to the captains about their leadership and that today they have a great responsibility to look out for their teams and coaches.

My game is in a couple of hours so I was just looking for some ideas.

I am caucasion, does that change how you think I should approach this?

On a side note what would you do if A12 doesn't like a call you make and sits down at half court to "peacefully protest" a call.
... and learn for themselves what MLK was really all about. Not the cartoon character that the media will portray him on this day and 365 days a year. He was on the verge of bringing all of the energy of the civil rights movement to the anti-war movement and communicating clearly to the american people the the American government was "the greatest purveyor of violence on earth". MLK had decided to use the full force of his integrity, moral authority, and international prestige to challenge the government.

Encourage the kids to discover that Dr. King -- the real Dr. King. They can start with William Pepper's book An Act of State.

Wort.

Oh yeah, and to play the whistle!
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 10:58am
Whack! Get Out!!!

I wouldn't mention any of those things... the players aren't really listening to you anyway.

Keep the pre-game SHORT and simple... Mine is usually the following (which I have "borrowed" from another official that I heard use it): "Three things: Respect each other. Respect us. Respect the game."

Another official I know says, "Any questions?" (there never are), "OK - have a good game."
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Nice. That's going into my repertoire immediately

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
I wouldn't mention any of those things... the players aren't really listening to you anyway.

Keep the pre-game SHORT and simple... Mine is usually the following (which I have "borrowed" from another official that I heard use it): "Three things: Respect each other. Respect us. Respect the game."

Another official I know says, "Any questions?" (there never are), "OK - have a good game."
Wart.
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 01:17pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

Peacefully "T" his azz up.
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Peacefully "T" his azz up.
When I was a junior in high school, and taking US history, our teacher was into simulation games as a learning tool. During the WW1 chapter, she had this simulation game where she divided the class up into various countries, and we were supposed to read up about the cultures at that time and try to decide if we would have acted the same way as they did. I got smart-alecky (all out of character! ) and told the teacher that I was a consciensious objector and wouldn't be participating based on my beliefs against war. She was a savvy and capable teacher and made me get up in front of a "draft board" and present my case. They denied my plea, put me "in jail", and made me do "hard labor" -- a 10 page paper on something WW1 related.

In that spirit, I think that "peaceful protester" should be treated the way MLK and others in his movement were treated, which is to beat them, drag them forcibly to jail, starve them and convict them of bogus charges. Bomb their houses, put their kids in "re-culturation" camps, and disallow them voting and drivers' licenses. It would further the education process that MLK day is supposed to engender.

edited to add: Nah, that's a little over the top. But it would be an interesting thing to stage.

Last edited by rainmaker; Mon Jan 21, 2008 at 02:18pm.
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 02:56pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Does this tournament have a special rule that allows teams to have 12 players on the court?