The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 06:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
It says he can restore what he saw on the clock, sure. It doesn't say that he can restore only what he saw on the clock. I'm backing up what Scrapper says. He had a count in his head which started with the whistle. "one thou....."
That was definitely some time.
I would say that one enters dangerous territory when using a non-visual count as definite information to correct timing errors. I wouldn't do it. If I'm going to correct a timing error, I want my count to be visual so that it can be verified on video if questioned about it later.
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 07:20am
Esteemed Forum Member

Definite Knowledge ???

Quote:
I'm backing up what Scrapper says. He had a count in his head which started with the whistle. "one thou.....".
Did Scrapper1 actually say that ("count in his head")? If he did, then I also agree with him, but I may have missed him saying that. Without a mental count, or a visual on the clock, from the table, or from the officials, there is no definite knowledge. The NFHS doesn't allow us to guess.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Around here we would put sometime back up. Our high school competitive season has home and homes between conference teams where in case of a split the point spreads matter. If Team A loses by 8 in Nov, but goes on the road and wins by 7 in Jan. They still lose the split when it comes down to records.

Several officials have gotten their knuckles wrapped for not being concerned whether about timing/scoring issues when the game was "in hand" and coaches/AD's filed complaints.

In regards to the OP. I'm putting something back on the clock after discussions with my partners and the table. The kid staring at his clock monitor had to have some info based on when the whistle went. After all consultation something is going back on the clock.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

In concept / theory, I agree with Scrapper / JAR. Put something back up.

But, according to the FED (and, I think, NCAAW) rules, if the official doesn't see the clock, or have a count going, then you can't put anything up.

Now, if your state association has said to do something different, then follow that advice, of course.
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 09:07am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
In concept / theory, I agree with Scrapper / JAR. Put something back up.

But, according to the FED (and, I think, NCAAW) rules, if the official doesn't see the clock, or have a count going, then you can't put anything up.

Now, if your state association has said to do something different, then follow that advice, of course.
Sometimes the letter of the rule has to be superseded by some common sense. If I know there's time left, I'm putting time up. Period.
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

So I'm curious: HS refs, do you make it a habit to look up at the clock on a whistle in the last 10 seconds so that you will have definite knowledge if the operator doesn't stop the clock?
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

This situation is exactly why it is SO important for the crew to talk during the last minutes of the game anytime they have an opportunity during a deadball. We all know these things - trail has clock, signal each other at 1 min & 20 sec to go, etc. - but there is nothing wrong with getting together to be ready for all of the things that can happen at the end of a good game. You could even make an alternative plan by having lead and trail glancing up if there are two score boards and take time to talk to the table to ensure they are starting/stopping on our signal as you check fouls, TO's left, etc.

All that being said, I don't know that I would add time to the clock in the OP situation if I don't have any reliable knowledge of what to add. If the horn blew several seconds after the whistle (let's say approx. 5 or more) so I know with confidence there was SOME time on the clock I might be convinced by my partners in discussion to add 2 or 3 seconds based on "common sense" but I'm not guessing how much time to add when we start talking about tenths of a second unless I see the clock or was doing a count.

Also, the ultimate decision here lies on the shoulders of the R so I will go with whatever he decides. But when I'm the R, I would go with what I wrote above if I were ever in that situation.
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
So I'm curious: HS refs, do you make it a habit to look up at the clock on a whistle in the last 10 seconds so that you will have definite knowledge if the operator doesn't stop the clock?
Yes, if I can.

I also count down the last xx seconds in my head, glancing at the clock when the situation permits to "reset" the clock.
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Yes, if I can.

I also count down the last xx seconds in my head, glancing at the clock when the situation permits to "reset" the clock.
Same.
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Sometimes the letter of the rule has to be superseded by some common sense. If I know there's time left, I'm putting time up. Period.
Very well said, I agree 1000000%

To all who are saying you can't put time back on, lets say it's a closer game, 2 or 3 points, and the foul happens with 5ish seconds left. If time is never stopped, and no one notices it, and the horn goes off when you are reporting your foul, what would you do? Would you really not put any time back up there?? And yes, I realize the correct answer here is to never get to this point, because you should look at the clock in this situation, as I'm sure most of us probably do, but if it somehow gets missed, then what?
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 02:19pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
Very well said, I agree 1000000%

To all who are saying you can't put time back on, lets say it's a closer game, 2 or 3 points, and the foul happens with 5ish seconds left. If time is never stopped, and no one notices it, and the horn goes off when you are reporting your foul, what would you do? Would you really not put any time back up there?? And yes, I realize the correct answer here is to never get to this point, because you should look at the clock in this situation, as I'm sure most of us probably do, but if it somehow gets missed, then what?

Yes, I had a count. Next question.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
I make it a habit to look at the clock on every whistle....especially if I'm the off official.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 04:13pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Works For Me ...

Quote:
Yes, I had a count. Next question.
Good answer.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)