View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

This situation is exactly why it is SO important for the crew to talk during the last minutes of the game anytime they have an opportunity during a deadball. We all know these things - trail has clock, signal each other at 1 min & 20 sec to go, etc. - but there is nothing wrong with getting together to be ready for all of the things that can happen at the end of a good game. You could even make an alternative plan by having lead and trail glancing up if there are two score boards and take time to talk to the table to ensure they are starting/stopping on our signal as you check fouls, TO's left, etc.

All that being said, I don't know that I would add time to the clock in the OP situation if I don't have any reliable knowledge of what to add. If the horn blew several seconds after the whistle (let's say approx. 5 or more) so I know with confidence there was SOME time on the clock I might be convinced by my partners in discussion to add 2 or 3 seconds based on "common sense" but I'm not guessing how much time to add when we start talking about tenths of a second unless I see the clock or was doing a count.

Also, the ultimate decision here lies on the shoulders of the R so I will go with whatever he decides. But when I'm the R, I would go with what I wrote above if I were ever in that situation.