The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 08, 2001, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Alaska Ref
Question

With the new Emphasis on a tighter called game, what delays if any are you experiencing. My first varsity contest we whistled 28 fouls in the first half, the next varsity contest started about 30 minutes late. Whats happening in your area?

Old Mon Jan 08, 2001, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
I haven't noticed games running later myself because of
fouls but I did have 2 overtime games in December. The
second one went 3 overtimes, visitors lost by 3 when their
last second shot from mid court hit the front of the rim.
The entire gym let out a collective groan when it missed,
no one (except the guys with the striped shirts) wanted
this to end.
Old Mon Jan 08, 2001, 10:59pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Ours are the same length.
Varsity games start at 7:20 with 5 fouls called.
2nd quarter start at 7:35 and we call 7 fouls.
3rd quarter starts at 8:05 and we call 4 fouls.
4th quarter (8:20 start) ends at 8:40. Number of fouls we call depends on the time frame. We allow 2 minutes per.
Overtimes are not allowed (bad game management).
Shower and in car at 8:55.
We are in the restaurant replaying the game at 9:10.
If a coach gets a T, we subtract two of his allotted fouls, which leads to another T, which in turn subtracts two more fouls, but accelerates the game, because we do not talk to the assistant Coach, at all.
When the difference in score in the 2nd half is 40+ the clock stops only on Times-out and ends of periods. The running clock allows us to make many more fouls on the team that is leading, but that evens out quite well by passing on non-bloody calls against the trailing team.
same ol'... same ol'.
Old Mon Jan 08, 2001, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

On the whole, Yes.

However, before Christmas break, a regular partner and I "cruised" through a JV game (7 minute quarters)in little over an hour. There were about 20 fouls in the game, but I believe none were shooting fouls, until the bonus kicked in.
It was two well-coached teams with LOTS of good, clean hustle.

The Varsity Officials were suprized to see us in the dressing room. The hometeam AD came into the dressing room, smiled, (his team lost by 6) and jokingly said, "I should get a rebate on your fees." Then complimented us on our proficient game management.

It appears to me that when you have two organized, well-coached teams the game goes along quicker...
Old Tue Jan 09, 2001, 02:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Alaska Ref
Talking

Thanks guys (i think) our first varsity contest starts at 6:00 and the second at 7:30 my game started at 1 minute after 6 it really was a wild contest and everyone couldn't believe we were calling the game that close and the players didn't seem to get the message either. Halftime score 40 to 8 and it didn't get any closer in the second half but the teams did pulled there press's off.

Mick i sure would like to try your approach! With 28 fouls in the first half you end up going to the line 16 times, but on the other hand trail not having to enter the key is a little faster!

I think we here in Alaska should go back to the varsity games starting at 6 & 8 We don't use 3-man crews and no shot clock.

Good Luck
Old Tue Jan 09, 2001, 07:22am
Official Forum Member

Nice post Mick

We play in a middle school select league. The games tend to run late this year because we play running clock except clock stops on all foul calls (need Mick's foul limits here). Long games cut into our warmup time when we get near the end of the day and the gym supervisor is ready to leave (we're talking 2-3 minutes max). We have great athletes, but the first quarter looks awful when they haven't touched the ball.

Had the 6:00 game this weekend. Since gyms have only one book, we have to wait until first game is over to put our team in (no 10 minute rule here!). We start warming up and the scorer's table calls me over and asks me to fill out the book. I give it to our team manager who dutifully fills it out and gives it to the other coach. I go over to talk to him while his girls are in layup lines. He makes the comment that he is having trouble rememebering the girls names. I see his daughter in one of the lines and say "I bet you don't have trouble with #XX." He says "some days I have trouble with her name as well." The table is asking for the book and saying "once it's ready we can start." I look at a layup line complete with numbers and last names on uniforms (pretty simple to get right), realize what he has done for us, and told him "I think my manager missed a player, please have him check the book one last time when you are done." We got our warm-up time! Oh, and I guess I was wrong about that missing player, but you can never be too careful!
Old Tue Jan 09, 2001, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

My partner and I did a JV/Varsity Girls doubleheader last night. We started the JV game at 6.It was a blowout and we were finished by 6:50. We have a mercy rule in the 4th quarter in Missouri. We started the varsity game at 7:05 and left the gym at 8:25. I was working in my hometown and made it home by 8:30. It makes up for one of those nights when I'm an hour away from home and have two games that go very long.
Old Tue Jan 09, 2001, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Smile Boys No Girls Yes

In general the boys games seem to run right on time like before eventhough this year in one of the conferences I work in went to two 8 min. and two 7 min. quaters in the JV games. The JV games start at 6:00 and the Varsity at 7:30 and the boys seem to be real close to on time.

The girls on the other hand. The JV officials usally walk into the dressing room at about 7:25 which means the varsity game doesn't get going until about 7:45-7:50 or so. The varsity games seem to go like in the past but with the added min. in the JV games you just don't start on time.

One girls JV game I did my partner and I called 28 fouls in the first half and shot the bonus the second quarter. The girls played the game like they didn't have any fouls when they had 3 or 4. I think 4 or 5 girls fouled out and the home team finished with 5 they did not have any one left and that seemed to slow their fouling down some but that was only the last two min. of the game.

I like mick's post!!
Old Tue Jan 09, 2001, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Ours are the same length.
Varsity games start at 7:20 with 5 fouls called.
2nd quarter start at 7:35 and we call 7 fouls.
3rd quarter starts at 8:05 and we call 4 fouls.
4th quarter (8:20 start) ends at 8:40. Number of fouls we call depends on the time frame. We allow 2 minutes per.
Overtimes are not allowed (bad game management).
Shower and in car at 8:55.
We are in the restaurant replaying the game at 9:10.
If a coach gets a T, we subtract two of his allotted fouls, which leads to another T, which in turn subtracts two more fouls, but accelerates the game, because we do not talk to the assistant Coach, at all.
When the difference in score in the 2nd half is 40+ the clock stops only on Times-out and ends of periods. The running clock allows us to make many more fouls on the team that is leading, but that evens out quite well by passing on non-bloody calls against the trailing team.
same ol'... same ol'.
Thanks for that!
Old Tue Jan 09, 2001, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Alaskaref-
Down in Southeast Alaska we start our games at 6 and 8.
We normally start on time!

AK ref SE