The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 19, 2014, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

Washington Stanford almost blarge vid request (Clip Added)

:42 left in first half. L rotated over, new T had a block, L was going to punch it the other way, but swallowed his whistle. I took some vid on my iPad but it's fairly horrendous.

Thanks,

Pfan
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan1981 View Post
:42 left in first half. L rotated over, new T had a block, L was going to punch it the other way, but swallowed his whistle. I took some vid on my iPad but it's fairly horrendous.

Thanks,

Pfan
Did T have a block on the primary defender (who got beat) or on the secondary defender?

This may have been a close false double foul, as opposed to a typical blarge
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Did T have a block on the primary defender (who got beat) or on the secondary defender?

This may have been a close false double foul, as opposed to a typical blarge
That's what I was thinking. From the endline, looks like the lead was looking at a charge with the secondary defender.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

The foul was on number 23, the defender trying for the block shot. The trail has that foul before the block/charge contact.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
The foul was on number 23, the defender trying for the block shot. The trail has that foul before the block/charge contact.
Good job by the L in holding the signal -- get the first foul only (despite any case plays that tell how to adjudicate it)
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Good job by the L in holding the signal -- get the first foul only (despite any case plays that tell how to adjudicate it)
Agreed on both points.

Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Agree....T's foul was on the primary D. L's foul would have been a charge with into the secondary D.

They called the first one.

Good job by the T to come in strong knowing the combination of things that occurred and that he L was most likely only getting the secondary D.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

I really enjoy seeing a crew handle things in this manner. The potential for a mess was there, but they showed great control, and communication.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 01:38pm
AremRed

I don't think this would be a blarge, even if the Lead signalled. They are calling two different actions. A blarge is two officials calling the same action differently. If the Lead does signal charge all Trail has to do is say "first foul" and move on. We can't see what Trail signals but I doubt he signalled anything at all, probably just posted with no preliminary.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I don't think this would be a blarge, even if the Lead signalled. They are calling two different actions. A blarge is two officials calling the same action differently. If the Lead does signal charge all Trail has to do is say "first foul" and move on. We can't see what Trail signals but I doubt he signalled anything at all, probably just posted with no preliminary.
By rule, it'd be a false double foul. By practical application, get the first one (which the trail did in taking the call).

Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 01:46pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
By rule, it'd be a false double foul. By practical application, get the first one (which the trail did in taking the call).
It wouldn't be a false double foul, because A1's actions would not be flagrant or intentional.

Plus, you can't penalize A1 for being pushed into B2 by B1.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 01:50pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
It wouldn't be a false double foul, because A1's actions would not be flagrant or intentional.

1. It could be a false double, the ball is still live since a shot was released.
2. I agree, though, don't punish the shooter for being pushed into an opponent by a different opponent.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post

A1 was fouled by B2 in the act of shooting...ball is live...

Presuming the lead calls a charging foul like it appears he does, you would then have a foul on A1 for charging and thus by rule a false double.

Now as a matter of practical application, I wouldn't imagine calling a foul on A1 for being pushed/bumped into a defender. That I agree.

Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
A blarge is two officials calling the same action differently.
A blarge is most commonly used for fouls by / on the same players.

For a (by-the-rule) FED example of the play in the video, see 4.19.9