The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 18, 2014, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

3 easy ones

I haven't lurked for a while, but as my son starts his BB season, the things that make me wonder . . .

1. Opening tip, red center hits ball past his teammate, who never secures it, OOB. Ball inbounds to white, and red gets the arrow, right?

2. Halftime buzzer. White coach yells at referee. T. 2 FTs to start the half, and red gets the ball w/o taking into account the P.A., right?

3. In H.S., no such thing as a "flagrant" foul, but an "intentional" foul is almost the same thing, right? (Is HS supposed to use the crossed arm signal?)

4. oops,won't let me edit the title -- does CA HS use the seatbelt rule if a coach gets a T?

(In fairness, this is a Jr. High league, so in practice I think many of our refs have a minimal class, so while the rules say we play HS rules, I think in practice we play HS rules mixed with what the refs remember from TV games they've seen . . . (beautiful jump stop followed by a jump shot: traveling call and ref explains he can't jump once he does the stop?!) . . . .but I'm also trying to help my kid know what the rules are for when he's in HS and the refs actually know the rules . . . .

Last edited by so cal lurker; Sat Jan 18, 2014 at 10:03am.
Old Sat Jan 18, 2014, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
I haven't lurked for a while, but as my son starts his BB season, the things that make me wonder . . .

1. Opening tip, red center hits ball past his teammate, who never secures it, OOB. Ball inbounds to white, and red gets the arrow, right?

2. Halftime buzzer. White coach yells at referee. T. 2 FTs to start the half, and red gets the ball w/o taking into account the P.A., right?

3. In H.S., no such thing as a "flagrant" foul, but an "intentional" foul is almost the same thing, right? (Is HS supposed to use the crossed arm signal?)

(In fairness, this is a Jr. High league, so in practice I think many of our refs have a minimal class, so while the rules say we play HS rules, I think in practice we play HS rules mixed with what the refs remember from TV games they've seen . . . (beautiful jump stop followed by a jump shot: traveling call and ref explains he can't jump once he does the stop?!) . . . .but I'm also trying to help my kid know what the rules are for when he's in HS and the refs actually know the rules . . . .
1. The AP arrow will be set towards red once the ball is at white's disposal for the throw-in. The laymen's answer to your question would be yes

2. The AP arrow would not be changed. The offended team will get possession at the start of the 2nd half because possession is part of the penalty for a technical foul under NFHS (HS) rules.

3. Flagrant fouls do exist under NFHS (HS) rules but the penalty is different. All flagrant fouls under NFHS rules result in ejection. Intentional fouls result in two shots and possession for the offended team.

*Intentional fouls under NFHS rules = Flagrant 1 fouls under NCAA rules (as far as the penalties are concerned).
*Flagrant fouls under NFHS rules = Flagrant 2 fouls under NCAA rules.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sat Jan 18, 2014, 10:15am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Who ever last touched the ball had violated if the ball goes OOB. Then you give the ball to their opponent and that starts the AP. So the team that violated after the throw-in gets the next arrow.

Quote:
A Technical foul Administration is not an AP throw-in. The arrow is not changed or affected by a TF situation.

Quote:
There is such a thing as a "Flagrant foul." The are not the same as an Intentional foul at the HS level. A Flagrant Foul in HS means the offender is ejected from the contest. At other levels that only applies to a Flagrant 2 Foul.

Quote:
4. oops,won't let me edit the title -- does CA HS use the seatbelt rule if a coach gets a T?
I have no idea.

Quote:
I do not know this for a fact, but it is possible that where you are they do not play under all NF rules and have other rules that apply to specific situations. That would not be uncommon depending on the league or the governing body if there is one over those games. I now my state is the only one I have been told that has an Elementary School Statewide Organization called the IESA. And there are often many rules that are not applied from the NF. And all schools are not members of the IESA too. So you get a lot of games with specific league or conference rules that cold apply even in these situations.

Peace
Old Sat Jan 18, 2014, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I do not know this for a fact, but it is possible that where you are they do not play under all NF rules and have other rules that apply to specific situations. That would not be uncommon depending on the league or the governing body if there is one over those games. I now my state is the only one I have been told that has an Elementary School Statewide Organization called the IESA. And there are often many rules that are not applied from the NF. And all schools are not members of the IESA too. So you get a lot of games with specific league or conference rules that cold apply even in these situations.

Thx. This is a CYO league, and it has a few differences they play with (like running clock till last 2 minutes, which still offends my personal BB sensibilities . . .), but not much, and nothing pertinent here.
Old Sat Jan 18, 2014, 11:24am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
All flagrant fouls under NFHS rules result in ejection.
Quote:
A Flagrant Foul in HS means the offender is ejected from the contest.
No. Players are disqualified (NFHS 4-14-1), coaches and adult bench personnel are ejected (NFHS 10-5-4 NOTE).
Old Sat Jan 18, 2014, 11:49am
Ok is the new good

[QUOTE=so cal lurker;918951]I haven't lurked for a while, but as my son starts his BB season, the things that make me wonder . . .
he same thing, right? (Is HS supposed to use the crossed arm signal?)

Yes Seatbelt Rule in California at HS level..Rec leagues might modify rule
Old Sat Jan 18, 2014, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thx. This is a CYO league, and it has a few differences they play with (like running clock till last 2 minutes, which still offends my personal BB sensibilities . . .), but not much, and nothing pertinent here.
Old Sat Jan 18, 2014, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
For the most part...

HS Intentional = NCAA/NBA Flagrant 1
HS Flagrant = NCAA/NBA Flagrant 2

The NCAA just renamed them a few years ago (not sure when the NBA started using the terms). The underlying rules are essentially the same. They're just named different.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Sat Jan 18, 2014 at 02:30pm.
Old Sat Jan 18, 2014, 03:01pm
AremRed

Quote:
All flagrant fouls under NFHS rules result in ejection.
Quote:
A Flagrant Foul in HS means the offender is ejected from the contest.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
*Intentional fouls under NFHS rules = Flagrant 1 fouls under NCAA rules (as far as the penalties are concerned).
*Flagrant fouls under NFHS rules = Flagrant 2 fouls under NCAA rules.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
HS Intentional = NCAA/NBA Flagrant 1
HS Flagrant = NCAA/NBA Flagrant 2
Déjà vu x3
Old Sat Jan 18, 2014, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Déjà vu x3
You're right. I didn't see the part of JetMet's post that covered what I said. The rest of the answers, however, didn't actually answer the question being asked. They poked at it but left the picture unclear.
Old Sat Jan 18, 2014, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
(Is HS supposed to use the crossed arm signal?)
I didn't see if this was answered for you...

YES...crossed arm signal for intentional foul. (Signal #38, Official NFHS Basketball Signals)
Richland, WA
Old Sat Jan 18, 2014, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I think this is now three times in the past couple of weeks that this question has been asked. What is happening that it needs to be asked so much -- it should be pretty basic.