Thread: 3 easy ones
View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 18, 2014, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
I haven't lurked for a while, but as my son starts his BB season, the things that make me wonder . . .

1. Opening tip, red center hits ball past his teammate, who never secures it, OOB. Ball inbounds to white, and red gets the arrow, right?

2. Halftime buzzer. White coach yells at referee. T. 2 FTs to start the half, and red gets the ball w/o taking into account the P.A., right?

3. In H.S., no such thing as a "flagrant" foul, but an "intentional" foul is almost the same thing, right? (Is HS supposed to use the crossed arm signal?)

(In fairness, this is a Jr. High league, so in practice I think many of our refs have a minimal class, so while the rules say we play HS rules, I think in practice we play HS rules mixed with what the refs remember from TV games they've seen . . . (beautiful jump stop followed by a jump shot: traveling call and ref explains he can't jump once he does the stop?!) . . . .but I'm also trying to help my kid know what the rules are for when he's in HS and the refs actually know the rules . . . .
1. The AP arrow will be set towards red once the ball is at white's disposal for the throw-in. The laymen's answer to your question would be yes

2. The AP arrow would not be changed. The offended team will get possession at the start of the 2nd half because possession is part of the penalty for a technical foul under NFHS (HS) rules.

3. Flagrant fouls do exist under NFHS (HS) rules but the penalty is different. All flagrant fouls under NFHS rules result in ejection. Intentional fouls result in two shots and possession for the offended team.

*Intentional fouls under NFHS rules = Flagrant 1 fouls under NCAA rules (as far as the penalties are concerned).
*Flagrant fouls under NFHS rules = Flagrant 2 fouls under NCAA rules.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)