The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 19, 2014, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
It's been established that the game is over, not at the "final buzzer," but when the officials leave the floor (NFHS 2-2-4 and 5-3). Two thoughts on this...

And now, we're coming down on this official for doing his job?
Apples and oranges. In one, the coach was committing an unsportsmanlike act after the horn. In the other, they were not.
Old Sun Jan 19, 2014, 04:09pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Apples and oranges. In one, the coach was committing an unsportsmanlike act after the horn. In the other, they were not.
Assuming you're talking about the OP's sitch, Cam, if an ejected individual comes back to the game, how is that not unsportsmanlike?
Old Sun Jan 19, 2014, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

I'd get fired for whacking this coach before I'd get fired for missing a catch and shoot with only with .2 remaining on the clock.

One's a brain fart, the other is just plain silly officiating.

Last edited by asdf; Sun Jan 19, 2014 at 04:24pm.
Old Sun Jan 19, 2014, 04:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
It's been established that the game is over, not at the "final buzzer," but when the officials leave the floor (NFHS 2-2-4 and 5-3). Two thoughts on this...

We whine and complain that coaches, players, and fans, don't know the rules. Most everyone believes the myth that the game is over at the final buzzer, but we know that's not true. And here, all the ejected coach had to do was wait a few seconds for the officials to leave before hitting the floor and celebrating. How can we complain about a coach's ignorance when we perpetuate the myths by allowing the coach on the floor? Say what you want about plumbing, but at least this crew let the coach know where they line was, and gave the coach a chance to stay on the right side of it.
Yes but 10-5, Note says, basically an adult does not have to be around for the rest of the contest. The game is over at this point. So noticing a coach at this time is rather irrelevant at this point. If they are not committing an unsporting act that stands out, why would we care? It is a little more than knowing the rule, it is does it really matter at this point. Now if your state or association states this is to be penalized, OK. But that is not what I am going to do on my own. I just do not see the big deal, sorry.

Quote:
Last year, we had a thread started by a coach who thought it wasn't fair that he earned technical fouls "after a game" for questioning the officiating. (His actions led him to be banned from the next game.) A great majority of us came down on this coach, for not knowing the officials' jurisdiction remains as they remain on the court.

And now, we're coming down on this official for doing his job?
Complaining about something after the game and being present on the court are two different things. And if this was any other situation where I knew a coach was not following a procedure, that is something I just inform the state. I would not take it upon myself and call a penalty to compound the situation just because I noticed the coach. Again, I would be gone and you would have to tell me about that in the locker room. I would not be doing anything. And then I would let the state decide if they needed to address any other part of this behavior. But it is not our job (at least in my state) to enforce further penalties. If I noticed a coach was in the hall way and not completely away from the court, I would do the very same.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 19, 2014, 04:28pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Can Change A Washer In A Leaky Faucet, Does That Make Me A Plumber ???

Unless the coach was doing something unsporting, then I would simply send an email to my assignment commissioner about the situation, and he can take it from there, possibly contacting the state high school interscholastic sports association. I am not confronting the coach if nothing unsporting is going on.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jan 19, 2014, 04:45pm
AremRed

If the coach doesn't want to chance getting a technical called on her, then she shouldn't be at center court celebrating before the officials leave the floor.
Old Sun Jan 19, 2014, 07:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
If the coach doesn't want to chance getting a technical called on her, then she shouldn't be at center court celebrating before the officials leave the floor.
That is true, but I am not going to be "That guy" after a game. If you or others want to be "That guy" go right ahead.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 19, 2014, 07:44pm
We don't rent pigs

Okay, here's my final assessment. (subject to adjustment if anything fresh comes up) First, I'm really glad that I went to the game and witnessed this. You can read situations all day, whether actual or hypothetical, and it's still not as effective as seeing it firsthand. This is especially true on your home turf. I have called in this gym before and I have T'd this coach before. Overall, I'm with the consensus on this, if I just see her on the floor as I'm leaving, I'm not interested. As others have said, there is already a report to file because of the ejection, so this is probably worthy of mention in that report. If I get a nasty e-mail back saying the contest should have been forfeited, well I'll know next time. In the case of the doubleheader, if I'm not leaving, that would probably actually work in her favor. That game is over. On to the next one. But, having said that, she best not say one word to us or all bets are off.

As for how it was handled by the guys that night, here's my opinion. While the rule reads, "Failure to comply with the rules of ejection may result in the game being forfeited," I think the only thing everyone involved agrees on is that would have been a lot worse. Good chance she honestly didn't know exactly what the rule is in this case. They said you have to leave. She dismissed them with a wave of the hand. I think that qualifies as unsportsmanlike behavior. Another T. Then she left again. I'm not thrilled but I can live with it.

I'm sure everybody in town went home complaining about the terrible officiating and being robbed of the game, but at the end of the day, the coach has nobody to blame but herself.

Lonesome Dove

Last edited by just another ref; Sun Jan 19, 2014 at 07:55pm.
Old Sun Jan 19, 2014, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Nevada-here is the rule in question:

CIF-SS Bluebook Rule 125.1-Coach Ejection:
Upon the ejection of a coach from any CIF-SS contest, it is the
responsibility of the principal of said school to file a letter of explanation with the CIF Southern Section Office which includes the circumstances surrounding the matter and what action the principal has taken
to prevent a recurrence. Said correspondence is to be filed within
THREE school days of notification of the ejection. Additionally, upon ejection the coach shall be disqualified from participating in the remainder of the game and will be ineligible for the team's next contest. A second ejection will constitute a two contest suspension and a third ejection will cause suspension for the remainder of the season.

QUESTION:
What happens if unknowingly a coach or player who was ejected the previous game
participates in the next contest?
ANSWER:
Being in attendance at or coaching/playing in a contest after having been ejected
from a previous contest will result in the forfeiture of the contest.
QUESTION:
What is meant by attendance at a contest?
ANSWER:
Attendance is defined as being present at the team bench/area, inside or in the
proximity of a gymnasium, stadium or playing area. The intent of this rule is that the
ejected person is not in attendance at the contest.
QUESTION
: How does the Accountability Rule affect a coach who coaches more than one level
of a particular sport?
ANSWER
: A coach who has been ejected from a contest may not be in attendance at ANY contest prior to serving his/her mandatory suspension. (i.e.: An ejected JV coach who is also a varsity assistant may NOT be in attendance at any contest until his/her
mandatory JV suspension has been completed.)
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 01:28am
Official Forum Member

Thank you for posting, and as I suspected that is a Southern Section policy.
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Another hypothical... (Those who don't want to play, don't read this.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Honestly, unless I trip over her on my way off the court, I'm not doing anything.
What if, as you're tripping over her on the way off the court, she says;
(a) "Ha ha! How do you like that?! In your face!"
(b) "You guys are idiots!"
(c) "You guys are fu****g idiots!"
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 09:18pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
Then we're shooting FTs, I'm reporting it to the state, and they can determine whether her team will forfeit (always an option to forfeit after the fact). It's likely this game would be officially recorded as a 2-0 victory.
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 09:22pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Then we're shooting FTs, I'm reporting it to the state, and they can determine whether her team will forfeit (always an option to forfeit after the fact). It's likely this game would be officially recorded as a 2-0 victory.

I don't presume to speak for Adam, but I would hope we would all shoot free throws in a, b, and c, whether the coach had previously been ejected or not.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
To be fair, the official(s) did try to get the coach to leave again before issuing the next T. It wasn't just a "hey -- look, it's the coach!" Tweet!

And I have given one T as I was leaving. Cost the coach the next game.
This makes no sense to me. If the refs leave, the coach is fine to be there. Resolve the problem by leaving the gym.