View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 19, 2014, 04:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
It's been established that the game is over, not at the "final buzzer," but when the officials leave the floor (NFHS 2-2-4 and 5-3). Two thoughts on this...

We whine and complain that coaches, players, and fans, don't know the rules. Most everyone believes the myth that the game is over at the final buzzer, but we know that's not true. And here, all the ejected coach had to do was wait a few seconds for the officials to leave before hitting the floor and celebrating. How can we complain about a coach's ignorance when we perpetuate the myths by allowing the coach on the floor? Say what you want about plumbing, but at least this crew let the coach know where they line was, and gave the coach a chance to stay on the right side of it.
Yes but 10-5, Note says, basically an adult does not have to be around for the rest of the contest. The game is over at this point. So noticing a coach at this time is rather irrelevant at this point. If they are not committing an unsporting act that stands out, why would we care? It is a little more than knowing the rule, it is does it really matter at this point. Now if your state or association states this is to be penalized, OK. But that is not what I am going to do on my own. I just do not see the big deal, sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Last year, we had a thread started by a coach who thought it wasn't fair that he earned technical fouls "after a game" for questioning the officiating. (His actions led him to be banned from the next game.) A great majority of us came down on this coach, for not knowing the officials' jurisdiction remains as they remain on the court.

And now, we're coming down on this official for doing his job?
Complaining about something after the game and being present on the court are two different things. And if this was any other situation where I knew a coach was not following a procedure, that is something I just inform the state. I would not take it upon myself and call a penalty to compound the situation just because I noticed the coach. Again, I would be gone and you would have to tell me about that in the locker room. I would not be doing anything. And then I would let the state decide if they needed to address any other part of this behavior. But it is not our job (at least in my state) to enforce further penalties. If I noticed a coach was in the hall way and not completely away from the court, I would do the very same.

Peace