The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 17, 2014, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Technical foul on substitute—mechanics

Let's say a Team A substitute is sitting on the bench wearing his warmup over his jersey. He says something to me that crosses the line and I call a technical foul. Obviously I have to get his number because it counts as one of his five. What is the best way to go about obtaining his number? Ask him to pull up his warmup shirt or tell the coach to ask him?

Also, what is the best way to report this to the table? Let's say his number is 12. "White, 12, technical foul. That counts as one of his five. That is also charged to the coach. Coach, by rule you must sit for the rest of the game."?

Thanks!
Old Fri Jan 17, 2014, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballref3966 View Post
Let's say a Team A substitute is sitting on the bench wearing his warmup over his jersey. He says something to me that crosses the line and I call a technical foul. Obviously I have to get his number because it counts as one of his five. What is the best way to go about obtaining his number? Ask him to pull up his warmup shirt or tell the coach to ask him?
I'd ask the coach for the number / name.

Quote:
Also, what is the best way to report this to the table? Let's say his number is 12. "White, 12, technical foul. That counts as one of his five. That is also charged to the coach. Coach, by rule you must sit for the rest of the game."?

Thanks!
Table doesn't care about this

Table might not need this reminder (esp. if kid is still wearing his warmups -- it's unlikely he will play enough to get 5 fouls)
Old Fri Jan 17, 2014, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't mean to include the part about the coach having to sit (obviously I would let him know).

But why not let the table know to mark the T to the coach, as well? To avoid accidentally marking two team fouls?

Thanks Bob.
Old Fri Jan 17, 2014, 12:24pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I didn't mean to include the part about the coach having to sit (obviously I would let him know).

But why not let the table know to mark the T to the coach, as well? To avoid accidentally marking two team fouls?

Thanks Bob.
It's not a direct T to the coach, it's an Indirect T. Important distinction.
Old Fri Jan 17, 2014, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
It's not a direct T to the coach, it's an Indirect T. Important distinction.
I understand. I guess that makes sense, though the scorebook has three spaces for technicals on the head coach so I figured we should convey that. But I appreciate the help. Just getting my feet wet.
Old Fri Jan 17, 2014, 01:44pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I understand. I guess that makes sense, though the scorebook has three spaces for technicals on the head coach so I figured we should convey that. But I appreciate the help. Just getting my feet wet.
The coach is allowed a combination of 2 Directs T's, or if at least one of his T's is an Indirect, a combination of 3 T's.
Old Fri Jan 17, 2014, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

You need to read the table to decide how much information to give them. If you give them extra, it's probably better to do so "face-to-face" at the table, rather than from the reporting area.

You should be able to remember how many Ts (D or I) the coach has.
Old Fri Jan 17, 2014, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
The coach is allowed a combination of 2 Directs T's, or if at least one of his T's is an Indirect, a combination of 3 T's.
I am aware. Which is why I thought it would be the proper mechanic to tell the scorer when an indirect T needs to be marked on the coach. But I like what you all are saying and I appreciate it.
Old Sat Jan 18, 2014, 02:21am
Official Forum Member

I never report indirect Ts to the scorer. I just inform the coach.
Old Sat Jan 18, 2014, 04:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I never report indirect Ts to the scorer. I just inform the coach.
I always report them to the scorer. Sort of hard not to since what is being reported is the direct T on the person who committed the infraction and it just gets recorded against the coach.
Old Sat Jan 18, 2014, 06:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I always report them to the scorer. Sort of hard not to since what is being reported is the direct T on the person who committed the infraction and it just gets recorded against the coach.
In that case let me clarify. I always report the direct T, but never mention the indirect. I simply inform the coach of his indirect and loss of the box.
Old Sat Jan 18, 2014, 08:46am
Esteemed Forum Member

Come, Mister Tally Man, Tally Me Banana ...

Quote:
I always report the direct T, but never mention the indirect.
We've got some good scorekeepers here. They're good, but not that good. In most cases, if we didn't report the indirect, it wouldn't get recorded.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 06:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
We've got some good scorekeepers here. They're good, but not that good. In most cases, if we didn't report the indirect, it wouldn't get recorded.
Think about this--do indirect Ts really need to be recorded? If the direct Ts are recorded, there is a record of when an indirect occurred, right?
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 07:24am
Esteemed Forum Member

Shorthand ...

Quote:
Do indirect Ts really need to be recorded? If the direct Ts are recorded, there is a record of when an indirect occurred, right?
Then do team fouls really need to be recorded? If the personal fouls (per half) are recorded, isn't that enough to figure out when the bonus occurs? Just add them up.

Does a running score really need to be recorded? If the player points are recorded, isn't that enough to figure out who wins the game? Just add them up.

Plus, "the scorer shall record ... notify an official immediately when ... the third technical foul is charged to the head coach."

If the scorer is supposed to notify the officials when a third technical foul (direct and indirect) is charged to the head coach, shouldn't he have that information recorded for easy reference?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jan 20, 2014 at 07:32am.
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Then do team fouls really need to be recorded? If the personal fouls (per half) are recorded, isn't that enough to figure out when the bonus occurs? Just add them up.

Does a running score really need to be recorded? If the player points are recorded, isn't that enough to figure out who wins the game? Just add them up.

Plus, "the scorer shall record ... notify an official immediately when ... the third technical foul is charged to the head coach."

If the scorer is supposed to notify the officials when a third technical foul (direct and indirect) is charged to the head coach, shouldn't he have that information recorded for easy reference?
Scorer is required to keep the running total.