The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 19, 2014, 12:28am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
How?
Didn't you say the official usually hang around because they are working another game? There you go.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 19, 2014, 12:41am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Didn't you say the official usually hang around because they are working another game? There you go.

Peace
I said sometimes they never leave at all. In this case, the game ended on the opposite end of the gym from their exit. They headed straight out, skirted around the celebrating mob near the division line and were about to turn the corner of the bleachers when I saw them stop and realized what the deal was. Did they sprint to the exit? No, but I don't either. I see some that do.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jan 19, 2014, 01:17am
Do not give a damn!!

Whatever the ultimate reason, I do not see T'ing up a coach that first should not be seen in the first place because the officials are off the court immediately. And secondly I do not see why a coach being on the court after the game is any of our concern. If it is that much of a concern, here we could post that in the report that we file as apart of the story about the ejection. I would let the state handle it from there. Otherwise I would not be giving a T for simply being on the court after the game is clearly over. Yes our jurisdiction is still present, but for me and most officials I know, we do not spend much time trying to find anything on the court after the game is over. If that is how you want to roll, be my guest.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 19, 2014, 01:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
For the record: Guys can say "I wouldn't have seen the coach" if they want, but that was not the point of the discussion. They did see her. That is a given, and it wasn't because they lingered after the game. My question was what if you did see her. Imagine that you literally bumped into her on your way out and her way in if you must, but she was there and very much visible so that is where the discussion begins.

Another twist. Around here, game assignment are near %100 girl/boy doubleheaders. It is not unheard of for the officials to not leave the gym at all between games.
I still wouldn't see her.

And if I did, the penalty would not be a T. If a coach who has been ejected is in the gym at some later point before my jurisdiction is over, I'd put it in the ejection report and let the state deal with it. If I heard correctly, they have forfeited games in such cases....not necessarily a post game celebration like this but before the game ended.
Old Sun Jan 19, 2014, 05:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
This is a state association issue-here if a coach is ejected they are to immediately leave the gym and not allowed to have contact with their team until they leave said gym.Said coach is also barred from coaching for 1 game.

Common Question-Does this rule apply to a varsity head coach who gets ejected while sitting on the JV bench and serving as an assistant? Yes-the varsity head coach must serve his JV suspension before he can coach varsity again.Penalty is immediate forfeiture of the contest for not leaving the gym or being in attendance while suspended from coaching.
Please post documentation of that policy as well as if it is only particular to your local league or Section or if it for the entire CIF.
Old Sun Jan 19, 2014, 10:33am
NFHS Official

Quote:
For the record: Guys can say "I wouldn't have seen the coach" if they want, but that was not the point of the discussion. They did see her. That is a given, and it wasn't because they lingered after the game. My question was what if you did see her. Imagine that you literally bumped into her on your way out and her way in if you must, but she was there and very much visible so that is where the discussion begins.

Another twist. Around here, game assignment are near %100 girl/boy doubleheaders. It is not unheard of for the officials to not leave the gym at all between games.

Even if I looked right at the coach, I didn't see her! Why go looking for trouble when it can be avoided. This seems to me that these guys were just trying to say I'm I charge here, and throw their power around.
Old Sun Jan 19, 2014, 10:35am
Get away from me, Steve.

I'm not sure how I'd see her there celebrating when I'm jogging off the floor.
Old Sun Jan 19, 2014, 11:19am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

Honestly, unless I trip over her on my way off the court, I'm not doing anything.
Old Sun Jan 19, 2014, 11:24am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Honestly, unless I trip over her on my way off the court, I'm not doing anything.
And not leaving the court is a mistake. When I lived in a G/B DH state, we *always* left the floor, got a drink, took a few minutes, then came back out as if it's a new day / new game.
Old Sun Jan 19, 2014, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

I'm outta there.

Don't go looking for trouble, enough trouble finds you.
Old Sun Jan 19, 2014, 11:36am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
And not leaving the court is a mistake. When I lived in a G/B DH state, we *always* left the floor, got a drink, took a few minutes, then came back out as if it's a new day / new game.
Agreed. We go to the dressing room to retrieve jackets, drink some water, and take a couple of minutes to re-focus.
Old Sun Jan 19, 2014, 12:26pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Only way I see her, and penalize her, is if she cuts us off on the way out the door. Other than that, I'm gone. If someone were to complain to the conference or supervisor, I would just be honest and say the game was over and I saw nothing wrong with her actions.

I'm not forfeiting (the proper penalty, not a T) a game after the final buzzer.
Old Sun Jan 19, 2014, 02:21pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
...I do not see why a coach being on the court after the game is any of our concern.
It's been established that the game is over, not at the "final buzzer," but when the officials leave the floor (NFHS 2-2-4 and 5-3). Two thoughts on this...

We whine and complain that coaches, players, and fans, don't know the rules. Most everyone believes the myth that the game is over at the final buzzer, but we know that's not true. And here, all the ejected coach had to do was wait a few seconds for the officials to leave before hitting the floor and celebrating. How can we complain about a coach's ignorance when we perpetuate the myths by allowing the coach on the floor? Say what you want about plumbing, but at least this crew let the coach know where they line was, and gave the coach a chance to stay on the right side of it.

Last year, we had a thread started by a coach who thought it wasn't fair that he earned technical fouls "after a game" for questioning the officiating. (His actions led him to be banned from the next game.) A great majority of us came down on this coach, for not knowing the officials' jurisdiction remains as they remain on the court.

And now, we're coming down on this official for doing his job?
Old Sun Jan 19, 2014, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Short of the coach actually doing something unsporting to the official, you're job is to get off the court...not go seeking out trouble.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Jan 19, 2014, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Only way I see her, and penalize her, is if she cuts us off on the way out the door. Other than that, I'm gone. If someone were to complain to the conference or supervisor, I would just be honest and say the game was over and I saw nothing wrong with her actions.

I'm not forfeiting (the proper penalty, not a T) a game after the final buzzer.
I agree with BNR and others. I'm not penalizing the coach unless .... .

Don't Put S*** In The Game!!