The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 22, 2014, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
JetMet, looks to me like you blew at 20. Isn't the violation supposed to occur at 19, due to 30 not being a whole second?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountTheBasket View Post
No, think about it like this:

20.0-20.9999 (1 sec).....21.0-21.99999....all the way to 29.0-29.99999 (10 sec)
It depends on the design of the clock. At least two styles exist....most, I think, operate like CountTheBasket is implying.

The clock, internally, starts at 30.000000 but only displays 30.

At the very instant it is turned on, it internally drops to 29.999999. However, it may either still show 30 (rounding up) or it may show 29 (rounding down). In either case, it will remain the same until is crosses below 29.000000.

In the case of a clock that rounds up for the display, the violation would occur the moment it shows 20. In the case of a clock that rounds down for the display, the violation would occur when it shows 19.

An easy way to tell is to see if the horn sounds the instant it reaches 0 (a clock that rounds up) or if there is a delay of 1 second between the horn reaching 0 and the horn (a clock that rounds down).

I believe that most, if not all, modern clocks operate by rounding up so that when it shows 0, it is truly 0.0000000 and not 0 and a fraction.....or that when it shows any whole number, it has passed below that whole number but not yet reached the next whole number.
Old Wed Jan 22, 2014, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
JetMet, looks to me like you blew at 20. Isn't the violation supposed to occur at 19, due to 30 not being a whole second?
Only if he was using an NBA shot clock.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Jan 22, 2014, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
MOST game clocks will "instantly" shift from 20:00 to 19:59 -- the tenths are still there, they just aren't shown; the clock therefore "rounds down." IF the clock doesnt' display tenths, then there will be a second delay between the clock showing 0:00 and the horn.

MOST shot clocks stay at 30 (or 35) for a second before changing. They round up. THe horn sounds as soon as the clock shows 0.

In any event, the rule / mechanics are clear to blow the whistle as soon as the clock hits 20 (or 25).
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 01:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As Bob said, for NCAAW the violation occurs when the shot-clock reads :20 or on the tenth second after the ball is legally touched inbounds, whichever applies. That's the interpretation we received from the moment the rule was established.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
I would have asked them to turn one set off, either the on the backboards or the one on the wall. It sucks that the sticking problem was occurring, but I think it got compounded by having two clocks on each end that could potentially have different times. I would rather have one set and deal with those problems than try to reconcile two sets on each end.
By rule (1-19-2 to be exact) "two visible shot clocks are required, and shall be recessed and mounted on the backboard supports behind each backboard." 1-19-3 calls for an "alternate timing device" to be available if the visible clock malfunctions but there's the rub: the visible clocks did work. They jumped but the horn went off at 30 seconds. The fact the alternate - and hard-wired - shot-clocks were having issues made it a tough decision. Our R figured we were better off with all four active. One of the alternates had to be shut down because it started jumping worse than those on the backboards. At any rate, both teams were willing to deal.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)