The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   10 seconds back court violation? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97054-10-seconds-back-court-violation.html)

ronny mulkey Fri Jan 17, 2014 05:58pm

10 seconds back court violation?

Resuming play after a T.O. on opposite end of the court for the offensive team. Time remaining is exactly 1:00 minutes. Throw-in caught and clock starts properly. Offensive team is granted a time out, offensive team is still 5' in the backcourt and the clock reads 48.7 seconds. The C and L have definite knowledge that the clock started properly.

1. If you had been either the C or L would you have blown this violation?
2. During the timeout discussion, the T freely admitted that he wasn't aware of time on the resumption of play but stated that his count had not reached 10.

If your answer is no you wouldn't have blown this violation from C or L, would you have blown it if the clock had gotten to 45:00?

JRutledge Fri Jan 17, 2014 06:01pm

1. No. Not my call to make and clock starting and TC starting are not necessarily the same thing.

2. OK, then he/she needs to do better.

Peace

bob jenkins Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:23pm

There's a specific FED case where the violation cannot be called (same as if it was called but the clock read :51).

In NCAA, C and L have joint responsibility with T on 10-second calls -- they use the shot clock.

ronny mulkey Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 918916)
There's a specific FED case where the violation cannot be called (same as if it was called but the clock read :51).

In NCAA, C and L have joint responsibility with T on 10-second calls -- they use the shot clock.

================================================

Bob,

Using Fed, when (:45, :40, "50) would you be comfortable putting a whistle on this play? Once you start making these kinds of calls, where does it stop - i.e. closely guarded plays, throw-ins, f. throws, etc....

Ref16 Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:53am

Quote:

I know that we use the shot clock in NCAAW to gauge the 10 second count (not a visible count), but I didn't think the NCAA men used the same rule? Or are you saying it is a reviewable call that can be over turned?

Curious to find out the answer!

johnny d Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:57am

New for this year, NCAA-M use the shot clock for the 10 second back court violation as well. Watch the games on tv, you will notice the officials no longer have a visible count.

Ref16 Sat Jan 18, 2014 02:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny d (Post 918925)
New for this year, NCAA-M use the shot clock for the 10 second back court violation as well. Watch the games on tv, you will notice the officials no longer have a visible count.

I wish I still had time to watch games on tv! LoL

bob jenkins Sat Jan 18, 2014 08:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronny mulkey (Post 918919)
================================================

Bob,

Using Fed, when (:45, :40, "50) would you be comfortable putting a whistle on this play? Once you start making these kinds of calls, where does it stop - i.e. closely guarded plays, throw-ins, f. throws, etc....

I would NOT be comfortable doing this as L or C in Fed.

That said, at some point, I would step in. You can't let, for example, a team hold the ball in the BC for 8:00 minutes.

Rob1968 Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:59am

Quote:

It's Case Book 5.10.1 Situation B "If the count was not accurate or was not made, it cannot be corrected. There is no provision for the correction of an error made in the official's accuracy in counting seconds."

JetMetFan Sat Jan 18, 2014 01:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref16 (Post 918924)
I know that we use the shot clock in NCAAW to gauge the 10 second count (not a visible count), but I didn't think the NCAA men used the same rule? Or are you saying it is a reviewable call that can be over turned?

Curious to find out the answer!

In NCAAW if we miss the violation it's over. We can't go back and deal with it much like any other violation.

bob jenkins Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 918974)
In NCAAW if we miss the violation it's over. We can't go back and deal with it much like any other violation.

Agreed. I was only answering the "can the C or L call the violation" question.

stiffler3492 Sun Jan 19, 2014 01:01am

When did they add the ten second violation for NCAA W?

bob jenkins Sun Jan 19, 2014 09:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiffler3492 (Post 919045)
When did they add the ten second violation for NCAA W?

Start of the current season.

Scrapper1 Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:31am

I would definitely blow this violation if I were the L or C, even in high school game. Of course, here in MA, it's a little easier to justify making that call, because we use a shot clock. So everybody knows exactly when 10 seconds has expired in the possession.

I agree with the people who say you can't call the violation once the TO is granted.

ronny mulkey Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 919089)
I would definitely blow this violation if I were the L or C, even in high school game. Of course, here in MA, it's a little easier to justify making that call, because we use a shot clock. So everybody knows exactly when 10 seconds has expired in the possession.

I agree with the people who say you can't call the violation once the TO is granted.

================================================== =======

Scrapper,

Wow! Are there other timing violations that you would step in and handle for your partner? For example, would you blow a closely guarded count out from under your partner if the shot clock indicated that the player had been closely guarded for 6 seconds? Throw in at 6 seconds?

I don't mean to ask these questions in an argumentative manner. I guess I'm just trying to understand how important this particular call is to you verses other violations?????