The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 18, 2014, 03:57pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Four On The Floor ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
I'd love to meet the rigid soul that could object to that.
Pleased to meet you. I actually don't object to what you did, but may I ask why the head coach couldn't be the head coach from his wheelchair in the coaching box? Here, in my little corner of Connecticut, we have a high school varsity head coach in a wheelchair and he does everything a head coach does, legally, in his wheelchair, in his coaching box. You haven't lived until you "serve tea" to a head coach in a wheelchair. Man, does that crowd boo, with the booing coming from fans of both teams. Makes you want to run and hide behind the police officer in the corner of the gymnasium, but he's booing too.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jan 18, 2014 at 04:03pm.
Old Sat Jan 18, 2014, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loners4me View Post
I rang up a VB coach during the JV game last night. He was assisting the JV coach. I told him he'd get his chance next game but not now. He gave me the "go to hell" wave and thats all I needed.

He wouldnt look at me the rest of the game. He caught a loose ball and when I headed to him to retrieve ball he just rolled it the other way.

He just about got tossed
Here he would have gotten to go get his V team ready early. Buh-bye.
Old Sat Jan 18, 2014, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggravy View Post
Here he would have gotten to go get his V team ready early. Buh-bye.
I'd toss a coach too. Does he want us to mop the gym after the game too?
Old Sat Jan 18, 2014, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

That would be me.

Quote:
I'd love to meet the rigid soul that could object to that.
That would be me. Unless the HC was going to just sit (pardon the obvious) and only the AC would be moving around the box then I would address it.

I have officiated several games with a team in our area from a totally deaf school. In the first game when I advised the bench that only the HC could stand they informed me they had 3 co-head coaches. I told them to choose 1 for today to serve as HC and the others would need to sit. In another game the chosen HC would walk 10 feet onto the court in front of the table during live action to communicate (sign language) with his team. My partners and I had already agreed to give him some leeway by extending his box but he took it too far and needed a stern warning before he got it. Last game, my partner informed the HC a player had fouled out by telling an intrpreter and by specifically flashing the players number to the HC's face from about five feet away. HC calls time out and when we come out of it to shoot free throws who lined up in the lane? That's right and it earned them a T. HC claims he misunderstood but I feel we were very clear with him.

In discussions with other refs who have worked their games a pattern has developed and there may be a purposeful effort to take advantage of our good intentions. Having taught special needs students for almost 20 years I have learned that for the most part they WANT to be treated just like every one else. And to me that means that rules are rules (except for reasonable or approved accomodations) and I enforce them that way. To do any thing else is unfair to other contestants and borders on offensive to he special needs community.

Last edited by Rich1; Sat Jan 18, 2014 at 11:01pm.
Old Sun Jan 19, 2014, 01:41am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I actually don't object to what you did, but may I ask why the head coach couldn't be the head coach from his wheelchair in the coaching box?
First, very tight quarters. The coaching box was less than a foot deep. Second, this was not a fit coach who used his arms freely to move the chair. This was a joystick-operated (for the lack of a better term) chair with little moving space around him. The HC was pretty much stuck in his spot for the entire game.

Last edited by bainsey; Sun Jan 19, 2014 at 04:51pm.
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
First, very tight quarters. The coaching box was less than a foot deep. Second, this was not a fit coach who used his arms freely to move the chair. This was a joystick-operated (for the lack of a better term) chair with little moving space around him. The HC was pretty much stuck in his spot for the entire game.
Coaching box in a middle-school game?
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 11:05pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplagrow View Post
Most states use the box at all levels. We're the "strange one" in that regard.
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 11:12pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplagrow View Post
Such as they are, often times. Sideline space is very cramped at some places.
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 11:29pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
That would be me. Unless the HC was going to just sit (pardon the obvious) and only the AC would be moving around the box then I would address it.

I have officiated several games with a team in our area from a totally deaf school. In the first game when I advised the bench that only the HC could stand they informed me they had 3 co-head coaches. I told them to choose 1 for today to serve as HC and the others would need to sit. In another game the chosen HC would walk 10 feet onto the court in front of the table during live action to communicate (sign language) with his team. My partners and I had already agreed to give him some leeway by extending his box but he took it too far and needed a stern warning before he got it. Last game, my partner informed the HC a player had fouled out by telling an intrpreter and by specifically flashing the players number to the HC's face from about five feet away. HC calls time out and when we come out of it to shoot free throws who lined up in the lane? That's right and it earned them a T. HC claims he misunderstood but I feel we were very clear with him.

In discussions with other refs who have worked their games a pattern has developed and there may be a purposeful effort to take advantage of our good intentions. Having taught special needs students for almost 20 years I have learned that for the most part they WANT to be treated just like every one else. And to me that means that rules are rules (except for reasonable or approved accomodations) and I enforce them that way. To do any thing else is unfair to other contestants and borders on offensive to he special needs community.
In a middle school game, I have no problem with making some allowances; until such time as the AC decides to officiate while standing.

In a high school game, however, I'd be inclined to let them know that only the HC gets to call TOs and stand in the box to coach. So, if the AC decides to play HC, he will be the one requesting TOs.