View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 15, 2014, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARef View Post
I'm C tableside during a fast break. On the drive to the basket the players react to a perceived double dribble. I'm straight lined and no call the play. Player scores, we go back the other way, and the head coach calls me out on the double dribble. I tell him I think he is probably right and we missed the play. Assistant coach tells me "no shit". Whack.

I've seen way too much of this behavior this season, by players and coaches. Anyone else notice an uptick in this kind of behavior?
I can say that at all levels it's been getting worse. The coach of the little ones (horrendous due to lack of knowledge and parent), the middle school coaches (parent ones especially bad, not so much teacher ones), Freshman (Pretty good), JV (Decent), Varsity (Some guys that watch too much college basketball and college coachig), and Assistants (only one bad one so far this year).

I'm sure a lot of these guys watch college ball and see coaches like the Iowa coach the other night. I went to a smaller D1 NCAAW game a few weeks ago and the coaches were on the officials with their volume and body language.

I have a very low tolerance of poor bench conduct. You should be respectful to officials, or sign up to appreciate how difficult it is. I saw this letter (attached) on a couple of sites the other day. We need more thoughtful things like this IMHO.

OK.....I can't attach it for some reason so here it is......this accompanies every game check from this school.......

As a former official, I would like to thank you for assisting the Montgomery County High School Athletics department for this 2013-14 school year.

Yours is a truly thankless job and I appreciate all of your efforts to honestly call the games with confidence. I applaud your integrity despite working in the toughest circumstances. It shows you represent the KHSAA well and demonstrate the sportsmanship that our youth and public see displayed at every event.

The countless hours that you have given to learning and preparing for officiating in these games have not gone unnoticed either. As you continue this season, you should know that you are making a difference in numerous lives of our players and parents, as you emulate what it means to be a professional.

Thank you for your time. We hope that your involvement at Montgomery County High School events remains to be a highlight of your experiences as an official. If we can offer anything in making that happen, please let me know.

Again, Thank You!

Best Regards,

Principal

The picture of the letter cut off some of the words, but I think I made the right translation.