The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Fun with Assistant Coaches (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97021-fun-assistant-coaches.html)

ARef Wed Jan 15, 2014 01:00am

Fun with Assistant Coaches

I'm C tableside during a fast break. On the drive to the basket the players react to a perceived double dribble. I'm straight lined and no call the play. Player scores, we go back the other way, and the head coach calls me out on the double dribble. I tell him I think he is probably right and we missed the play. Assistant coach tells me "no shit". Whack.

I've seen way too much of this behavior this season, by players and coaches. Anyone else notice an uptick in this kind of behavior?

pfan1981 Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ARef (Post 918404)
I'm C tableside during a fast break. On the drive to the basket the players react to a perceived double dribble. I'm straight lined and no call the play. Player scores, we go back the other way, and the head coach calls me out on the double dribble. I tell him I think he is probably right and we missed the play. Assistant coach tells me "no shit". Whack.

I've seen way too much of this behavior this season, by players and coaches. Anyone else notice an uptick in this kind of behavior?

I can say that at all levels it's been getting worse. The coach of the little ones (horrendous due to lack of knowledge and parent), the middle school coaches (parent ones especially bad, not so much teacher ones), Freshman (Pretty good), JV (Decent), Varsity (Some guys that watch too much college basketball and college coachig), and Assistants (only one bad one so far this year).

I'm sure a lot of these guys watch college ball and see coaches like the Iowa coach the other night. I went to a smaller D1 NCAAW game a few weeks ago and the coaches were on the officials with their volume and body language.

I have a very low tolerance of poor bench conduct. You should be respectful to officials, or sign up to appreciate how difficult it is. I saw this letter (attached) on a couple of sites the other day. We need more thoughtful things like this IMHO.

OK.....I can't attach it for some reason so here it is......this accompanies every game check from this school.......

As a former official, I would like to thank you for assisting the Montgomery County High School Athletics department for this 2013-14 school year.

Yours is a truly thankless job and I appreciate all of your efforts to honestly call the games with confidence. I applaud your integrity despite working in the toughest circumstances. It shows you represent the KHSAA well and demonstrate the sportsmanship that our youth and public see displayed at every event.

The countless hours that you have given to learning and preparing for officiating in these games have not gone unnoticed either. As you continue this season, you should know that you are making a difference in numerous lives of our players and parents, as you emulate what it means to be a professional.

Thank you for your time. We hope that your involvement at Montgomery County High School events remains to be a highlight of your experiences as an official. If we can offer anything in making that happen, please let me know.

Again, Thank You!

Best Regards,

Principal

The picture of the letter cut off some of the words, but I think I made the right translation.

ballgame99 Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:08am

Had a JV assistant stand up after a call and yell "that's terrible" at us once as I was reporting, and again as I was getting back into position. Told her head coach to get control of her bench, which I felt was sufficient to at least address the behavior. But afterword, my mentor and I talked about it and he made a good point, if you T that assistant up once, and seatbelt the head coach for the rest of that game, that assistant will not be behaving that way in the future.

MD Longhorn Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballgame99 (Post 918432)
Had a JV assistant stand up after a call and yell "that's terrible" at us once as I was reporting, and again as I was getting back into position. Told her head coach to get control of her bench, which I felt was sufficient to at least address the behavior. But afterword, my mentor and I talked about it and he made a good point, if you T that assistant up once, and seatbelt the head coach for the rest of that game, that assistant will not be behaving that way in the future.

Assistant coaches are there to assist the coach... not to provide input into the quality of the officiating.

stick Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 918435)
Assistant coaches are there to assist the coach... not to provide input into the quality of the officiating.

I agree 100%!!

j51969 Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:44am

Quote:

+1

It's not about being T happy, or not having thick skin. This has never been exceptable behavior and they know it. This isn't a democracy...Head Coaches and Assistants are not treated alike. However, I have used assistants sparingly in time-outs to address small issues.

SE Minnestoa Re Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:48pm

A number of years ago I was working a girls' varsity contest. The head coach was someone I had known for years. His assistant yipped at me one time down the court and I told him on the way by to knock if off.

Next time down the court and more commentary. Two freethrows followed quickly and I think everyone in the gym heard the head coach telling his assistant "I told you he would T you up if you didn't shut up".

deecee Wed Jan 15, 2014 02:02pm

Quote:

The first time the assistant says that The HC would know what will happen if I have to hear any more opinions for the AC. The second time, even if I didn't warn the HC, I'm Ting the AC. Guarantee he won't be surprised the next time it happens, if it happens at all.

Last night, BJV, about 2 minutes into the second quarter I had heard enough from the home coach. He had feedback on about 60% of the calls no-calls up to that point. I told him I've heard enough, I let my partner know he had been warned. The whole gym knew. The coach said what did I do? The varsity HC behind him said, that means you bug him again he's Ting you up. I was smiling internally.

rockyroad Wed Jan 15, 2014 02:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 918469)
The first time the assistant says that The HC would know what will happen if I have to hear any more opinions for the AC. The second time, even if I didn't warn the HC, I'm Ting the AC. Guarantee he won't be surprised the next time it happens, if it happens at all.

Why would you not just stick the AC the first time he/she did this?

Adam Wed Jan 15, 2014 04:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 918487)

I would.

Just standing up in protest, one warning.

Or.

Just saying something in protest. One warning.

Standing up AND yelling in protest: no warning, just a T.

deecee Wed Jan 15, 2014 05:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 918487)

It's his opinion on the call, and depending on how loud or how big a scene I may. But I generally like to give the HC first crack to address his bench. He won't get to share his opinion a second time that's for sure.

rockyroad Wed Jan 15, 2014 05:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 918511)
It's his opinion on the call, and depending on how loud or how big a scene I may. But I generally like to give the HC first crack to address his bench. He won't get to share his opinion a second time that's for sure.

Hmmmm...ok.

Like Adam said, if they make that comment to me as I run by, from their seat, I will make sure the HC deals with them. But if he is standing and yelling it at me as I am reporting (like ballgame99 posted) then we are going straight to the other end to shoot two. No warnings needed for that, imo.

deecee Wed Jan 15, 2014 05:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 918512)
Hmmmm...ok.

Like Adam said, if they make that comment to me as I run by, from their seat, I will make sure the HC deals with them. But if he is standing and yelling it at me as I am reporting (like ballgame99 posted) then we are going straight to the other end to shoot two. No warnings needed for that, imo.

Standing, sittiing. I care more about how loud, and tone and other body language cues (like arms out wide or jumping around like a fool). A coach can be sitting and get a T from me, and he can be jumping like an idiot and not saying anything and get a T. But we each have different levels of tolerance.

Adam Wed Jan 15, 2014 06:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 918515)
Standing, sittiing. I care more about how loud, and tone and other body language cues (like arms out wide or jumping around like a fool). A coach can be sitting and get a T from me, and he can be jumping like an idiot and not saying anything and get a T. But we each have different levels of tolerance.

I'm just saying there's no way an AC gets to stand and yell at me and only get a warning.

Ref16 Wed Jan 15, 2014 06:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 918526)
I'm just saying there's no way an AC gets to stand and yell at me and only get a warning.

100% agree on this!!!