The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 02:30pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I would say it applies more to this situation than the other play (block/charge JetMet put up) that occurred in the first few minutes of the game.

Here we have a foul in the last 10 seconds, that if not called, really hurts the team that is down and still has a chance to tie up the game.
I think so too.
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
This type of hyperbole diminishes the credibility of anything that might be worthwhile in the rest of your post.
Hmmm... perhaps you don't know what that phrase refers to then. It's not inaccurate here - and not even remotely used as hyperbole.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 03:28pm
Often wrong never n doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I've been focusing recently on ignoring contact that is incidental to a blocked shot. In this play it looks like the player blocks the shot (gets hand level up to the ball), can someone explain why the resulting contact is not incidental?

IMO it is not incidental because the path the defender took to get the block results in him going into an air born shooter. Without being able to take the path, that leads to the contact post block, I don't feel he can block it.

I also feel like contact after a block should be a foul as the thought of knowing you are susceptible to contact after you release the shot does make it more difficult to focus on your shot.

Last edited by jeremy341a; Mon Jan 13, 2014 at 03:30pm.
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki View Post
If you watch the trail official - he starts to signal a 3 pt attempt but quickly drops his arm...to me this means that he recognizes that lead has the play. And from leads body language, to me he picked up the play as soon as it crossed half court and never released the play to trail. It may be unusual to see L have to come this far out of his pca to pick up a secondary match up but in my opinion this is a great call and he did a good job of making sure everyone knew what he had.
I'd venture he just put the hand down because the shot was blocked and he judged it to be legal..

And nothing from this clip tells me this is a definite foul. It appears to me there is contact with the hand either right before the release or just after the release (and in fact, it looks like he gets contact with the ball before all of that). Afterward, the shooter fails his arms in an attempt to draw the foul.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 04:15pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Hmmm... perhaps you don't know what that phrase refers to then. It's not inaccurate here - and not even remotely used as hyperbole.

I know what a crew saving call is. This play does not fit into the definition. I would be willing to bet that if you asked the T and C about this play, they as others on this forum have said, would say the shot was blocked cleanly and the contact afterwards was incidental or exaggerated by the shooter trying to fool an official into making a call. In fact, I would also be willing to bet that if you polled a group of D1 men's officials, you would find a pretty even split amongst those calling this a foul and those letting it go as incidental, and that a majority of those who think it is a foul would not come and get this from the L because they would not feel they have a clear enough look to come that far on a call.
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
I'd venture he just put the hand down because the shot was blocked and he judged it to be legal..

And nothing from this clip tells me this is a definite foul. It appears to me there is contact with the hand either right before the release or just after the release (and in fact, it looks like he gets contact with the ball before all of that). Afterward, the shooter fails his arms in an attempt to draw the foul.
You could be correct, but the way he starts to go up with the 3 pt attempt and quickly drops it, looks more to me like he recognized L had gone up with the attempt. He's in a horrible position to make this call either way.

I agree there was probably some acting by the shooter, but I do see contact below the wrist after contact with the ball. I think it's a good call.
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
I know what a crew saving call is. This play does not fit into the definition. I would be willing to bet that if you asked the T and C about this play, they as others on this forum have said, would say the shot was blocked cleanly and the contact afterwards was incidental or exaggerated by the shooter trying to fool an official into making a call. In fact, I would also be willing to bet that if you polled a group of D1 men's officials, you would find a pretty even split amongst those calling this a foul and those letting it go as incidental, and that a majority of those who think it is a foul would not come and get this from the L because they would not feel they have a clear enough look to come that far on a call.
You can say that you disagree with this being a "crew saving" call, but just because someone has it as such a call doesn't make it hyperbole. Saying it is hyperbole just detracts from whatever other points you were making.

And -- if it was correct, it was a crew saver, imo. Can't tell from the video (at least on my screen).
Old Tue Jan 14, 2014, 05:52am
Official Forum Member

This was a similar type of play/situation from Game 1 of the Western Conference semifinal game that happened on May 5th last year. Scott Foster was the lead official making the call.

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Jan 14, 2014, 11:45am
Courageous When Prudent

Scott Foster is never wrong.
Old Tue Jan 14, 2014, 11:50am
beware big brother

Similar in that the lead came a long way to make the call. Not so similar in that in this play, the shot was not blocked, and it is clearly a foul.