The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Auburn-Mississippi Long Distance (video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/96994-auburn-mississippi-long-distance-video.html)

JetMetFan Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:46pm

Auburn-Mississippi Long Distance (video)

Thoughts?

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/T-2_4UWjA_4?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BryanV21 Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:52pm

How did the lead official see that? I'm not saying it was or wasn't a foul, but as the lead official I don't think I've ever been looking at the player shooting a three-pointer (unless it's taken from the corner on my side). I mean, that is WAY out of his primary.

JRutledge Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:17am

The Lead saw it because he had nothing in front of him and a possibility of the ball coming to him. No competitive match-ups around him too. I think it was a good call, but not what you would normally see.

Peace

Nevadaref Sun Jan 12, 2014 04:40am

Crew saver!
In this specific case, the Lead does not have a competitive match-up in his PCA. Thus he expanded helped with the players on the wing. Freeze the video 7 seconds into it. Where would you be looking as Lead? Either on the wing or near the FT line as that is where the closest players are. Now throw in a little awareness of your partners: C is in a great spot and can certainly see the guys in the FT semicircle, but the T stops near the division line and has a poor angle for the shot attempt. So it is clear which partner needs secondary help. Finally, notice the game situation: time & score dictate that a quick basket is needed and alerts us that the trailing team may well go for 3 shortly after getting into the frontcourt. The Lead was ready for that, the Trail wasn't.
While unusual, the Lead did a fantastic job on this play and helped the crew. Clear whack on the right arm of the shooter. Not sure if the C could spot this from his angle across the court.

twocentsworth Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:03am

Thoughts?......That is a foul 100 times out of 100 and MUST be called.

Four players in an "action area" require two sets of eyes. Since Lead had no competitive match ups in his area, he expanded to this action area and got the call right (and he "sold it" so everyone knew what he had).

bob jenkins Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:12am

"Stay in your primary" doesn't mean "put a solid wood fence aroound your primary and never look beyond it"

Lcubed48 Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:14am

I agree that the play needed a whistle. The L made the call, and he did a good job of selling it.

Did I notice that the T just prior to the release of the shot doing his impersonation of the famous Hightower pose?

jeremy341a Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:44am

That's why it is called Primary coverage area and not Exclusive coverage area.

BillyMac Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:52am

The Geologic Time Table ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 917830)
That's why it is called Primary coverage area and not Exclusive coverage area.

Agree. The word primary might infer that there is a secondary, tertiary, and maybe even a quaternary, coverage area.

My quaternary coverage area, and thus, way down on my list of important coverage areas, usually involves either the concession stand, or hot single moms in the bleachers.

BryanV21 Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:32am

Point taken... thanks.

Nikki Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:23pm

If you watch the trail official - he starts to signal a 3 pt attempt but quickly drops his arm...to me this means that he recognizes that lead has the play. And from leads body language, to me he picked up the play as soon as it crossed half court and never released the play to trail. It may be unusual to see L have to come this far out of his pca to pick up a secondary match up but in my opinion this is a great call and he did a good job of making sure everyone knew what he had.

Rich Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:27pm

I'm not sure why the trail decided to stop 2 steps across the division line.

johnny d Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 917815)
Crew saver!

This type of hyperbole diminishes the credibility of anything that might be worthwhile in the rest of your post.

Raymond Mon Jan 13, 2014 02:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny d (Post 918042)
This type of hyperbole diminishes the credibility of anything that might be worthwhile in the rest of your post.

I would say it applies more to this situation than the other play (block/charge JetMet put up) that occurred in the first few minutes of the game.

Here we have a foul in the last 20 seconds, that if not called, really hurts the team that is down and still has a chance to tie up the game.

AremRed Mon Jan 13, 2014 02:30pm

I've been focusing recently on ignoring contact that is incidental to a blocked shot. In this play it looks like the player blocks the shot (gets hand level up to the ball), can someone explain why the resulting contact is not incidental?