Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=justacoach;918165]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post

Is this a Texas thing? Custom or requirement?
I don't think its exclusive to TX and its used sparingly but I have seen it referenced in the rule book or case book. Its not handy at the moment or I'd tell you where. We do have one ref in our chapter who works only the highest level HS and a lot of college work who puts it in the book a lot. Its definetly his thing but not mine unless I really feel I need to drive my point home or have a record of it for later reference.
Old Tue Jan 14, 2014, 12:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post

I don't think its exclusive to TX and its used sparingly but I have seen it referenced in the rule book or case book. Its not handy at the moment or I'd tell you where. We do have one ref in our chapter who works only the highest level HS and a lot of college work who puts it in the book a lot. Its definetly his thing but not mine unless I really feel I need to drive my point home or have a record of it for later reference.
Poor idea IMO. If one needs to "drive my point home" then a T should be charged. All that people are doing by creating a warning which doesn't exist is 1) letting the first instance of unsporting behavior go unpenalized and 2) creating the expectation that a formal warning will be given prior to a T being charged.

At the college level with coaches making 7 figures, the expectations may well be different, but that is not the case at the HS level and your colleague is doing a disservice to the HS game and other HS officials in the area.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Tue Jan 14, 2014 at 01:10am.
Old Tue Jan 14, 2014, 07:02am
Official Forum Member

FWIW, the NFHS Officials' Manual reads (Warnings for behavior) are not documented in the scorebook (2.5.3.B6).

Neither NCAA rule book mentions writing warnings in the scorebook (i.e., that officials should or shoudn't do it).
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Tue Jan 14, 2014, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
FWIW, the NFHS Officials' Manual reads (Warnings for behavior) are not documented in the scorebook (2.5.3.B6).

Neither NCAA rule book mentions writing warnings in the scorebook (i.e., that officials should or shoudn't do it).
Great citation for areas which follow NFHS mechanics.

For behavior that is borderline, a quick verbal warning to alert the player or coach is okay and good communication, but probably won't prove helpful. However, I will stick with my earlier post and disagree with the need for a formal warning as frequently behavior which has reached that point warrants a T and sadly too many officials fail to charge one. Seems that they seek some remedy which doesn't carry a penalty. News flash: unless a poorly behaving individual is penalized, the undesired action usually won't stop. Why several officials seem afraid to penalize is a mystery to me and only causes problems later or for other officials. We are our own worst enemy sometimes.

The first T is the warning that the behavior is unacceptable. It carries a penalty of two FTs (and possession at the HS level). Failure to heed it will result in a stiffer penalty--two more FTs and a disqualification comes with the second T. The rules writers created the two T system for a reason (btw my very veteran friends tell me that it was three way back when!).

I guess this is reflective of my soccer referee training, but I look at this as a first yellow card and then a second yellow card (warrants a red). Of course, for behavior which is extreme in the first instance soccer referees may issue a red card immediately without first giving a yellow just a basketball has flagrant fouls (HS level).
Old Tue Jan 14, 2014, 10:13am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
This game?
Something like that.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 14, 2014, 06:14pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Great citation for areas which follow NFHS mechanics.

For behavior that is borderline, a quick verbal warning to alert the player or coach is okay and good communication, but probably won't prove helpful. However, I will stick with my earlier post and disagree with the need for a formal warning as frequently behavior which has reached that point warrants a T and sadly too many officials fail to charge one. Seems that they seek some remedy which doesn't carry a penalty. News flash: unless a poorly behaving individual is penalized, the undesired action usually won't stop. Why several officials seem afraid to penalize is a mystery to me and only causes problems later or for other officials. We are our own worst enemy sometimes.

The first T is the warning that the behavior is unacceptable. It carries a penalty of two FTs (and possession at the HS level). Failure to heed it will result in a stiffer penalty--two more FTs and a disqualification comes with the second T. The rules writers created the two T system for a reason (btw my very veteran friends tell me that it was three way back when!).

I guess this is reflective of my soccer referee training, but I look at this as a first yellow card and then a second yellow card (warrants a red). Of course, for behavior which is extreme in the first instance soccer referees may issue a red card immediately without first giving a yellow just a basketball has flagrant fouls (HS level).

IOW:

"How do you say 'freeze'?"

"Just shoot."