The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Coach vs Partner (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/96993-coach-vs-partner.html)

pfan1981 Sat Jan 11, 2014 09:11pm

Coach vs Partner

Violation by visiting team right by the table. T calls it and then has to calm down the visiting bench. L comes to administer the throw in, tells the coaches to knock it off and play ball. Should the L have done this? If not, should he just keep his distance and wait for the throw in and keep an eye on the players?

SNIPERBBB Sat Jan 11, 2014 09:25pm

If the T had already handled things, there isn't any need for the L to do anything unless they started back up again.

Nevadaref Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by pfan1981 (Post 917785)
Violation by visiting team right by the table. T calls it and then has to calm down the visiting bench. L comes to administer the throw in, tells the coaches to knock it off and play ball. Should the L have done this? If not, should he just keep his distance and wait for the throw in and keep an eye on the players?

Sounds like a double warning. I don't approve of those. The second correction should involve penalizing the undesired behavior.

egj13 Mon Jan 13, 2014 09:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by pfan1981 (Post 917785)

Did the L come to administer the throw in because they were going the other way? I.E. ball in B's front court, T calls violation so L becomes new T going the other direction?

JRutledge Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:13am

Sounds like two different observations that had nothing to do with the other. I do not have any problem with that action. It sounds like it might have done the trick.

Peace

pfan1981 Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by egj13 (Post 918014)
Did the L come to administer the throw in because they were going the other way? I.E. ball in B's front court, T calls violation so L becomes new T going the other direction?

Yes, the violation was at half court, tableside going the other way, so the L came to the table for the throw in. In this scenario, I was the L and thought I was doing a favor by trying to support my partner and move on with the game. Right? Wrong? Indifferent?

Keep in mind, we work with somewhat random partners around here. So I'm not with my normal partner on a given evening. How would you have handled this with a normal partner or a random one?

Thanks for any input,

pfan

deecee Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by pfan1981 (Post 918032)
Yes, the violation was at half court, tableside going the other way, so the L came to the table for the throw in. In this scenario, I was the L and thought I was doing a favor by trying to support my partner and move on with the game. Right? Wrong? Indifferent?

Keep in mind, we work with somewhat random partners around here. So I'm not with my normal partner on a given evening. How would you have handled this with a normal partner or a random one?

Thanks for any input,

pfan

We work with different partners all the time too. Nothing seemed strange from what you described. I would agree with Nevada if the first official told the coach he's heard enough then told his partner that he had warned the coach, AND then the partner comes over and says the same thing. If my partner ever tells me (and this has happened only once which is surprising because I know many times my partner will tell the coach enough but not communicate to me) that he has warned the coach and I have an instance where I would *normally* warn I pull out the T stick.

Warnings in my book are per crew, not per official.

Adam Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:39pm

Your partner had dealt with it already, and if there was nothing further said by the coaches, there's nothing to be gained by chiming in.

If there was something further said, then I'm with Nevadaref.

Rich1 Mon Jan 13, 2014 09:51pm

[QUOTE=deecee;918034] many times my partner will tell the coach enough but not communicate to me) that he has warned the coach

Ths is why I don't whisper my "official" warnigs. I may casually tell a coach that I got it or have heard enough before his behavior gets bad but if I am going to WARN a coach my partner will have no doubts about it when I do -- especially on those occasions when I have it recorded in the book. A good voice is a valueable tool for the whole crew.

justacoach Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:13pm

[QUOTE=Rich1;918163]
Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 918034)
many times my partner will tell the coach enough but not communicate to me) that he has warned the coach

especially on those occasions when I have it recorded in the book

Is this a Texas thing? Custom or requirement?

Raymond Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by justacoach (Post 918165)

Is this a Texas thing? Custom or requirement?

I worked a game recently with an R who, when I told him V's bench had been warned, told me to record it in the book.

His rationale basically was that once we warn a bench, it's going to stick, and the next behavior that raises to that level will be a T, no debate.

When I came to the table and the V coach and his assistants heard me recording the warning with the scorer, they looked on in disbelief. That was followed by the HC telling his AC's that they were to keep quiet the rest of the game. Not a peep from the AC's the rest of the game.

Maybe that was my Crew Chief's intent all along. He is a wily old veteran.

JRutledge Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 918175)
I worked a game recently with an R who, when I told him V's bench had been warned, told me to record it in the book.

His rationale basically was that once we warn a bench, it's going to stick, and the next behavior that raises to that level will be a T, no debate.

When I came to the table and the V coach and his assistants heard me recording the warning with the scorer, they looked on in disbelief. That was followed by the HC telling his AC's that they were to keep quiet the rest of the game. Not a peep from the AC's the rest of the game.

Maybe that was my Crew Chief's intent all along. He is a wily old veteran.

A "book" warning was given at one of our State Final games (the infamous one) where it was called out as being wrong.

I would actually like to see a rules change where that was allowed so that we could send a better message for sportsmanship. Other methods IMO do not really work very well. I hate the "stop sign" and at least it could be noted officially and probably do the very same thing that happened in this story.

Peace

AremRed Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 918189)
I would actually like to see a rules change where that was allowed so that we could send a better message for sportsmanship. Other methods IMO do not really work very well. I hate the "stop sign" and at least it could be noted officially and probably do the very same thing that happened in this story.

Can't you use 2-3 to justify writing the warning in the book?

JRutledge Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 918191)
Can't you use 2-3 to justify writing the warning in the book?

That is if the people you work for think 2-3 is applicable in this case. The state organization did not in the case I referenced.

Peace

AremRed Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 918189)
A "book" warning was given at one of our State Final games (the infamous one) where it was called out as being wrong.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 918193)
That is if the people you work for think 2-3 is applicable in this case. The state organization did not in the case I referenced.

This game?

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/dsMAUlT5v-o?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>