The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 07, 2014, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

I've never seen the action described in the clarification - not once. And I'm with Rocky on the explanation of the unclear clarification.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jan 07, 2014, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

It's from a long, rambling e-mail

This is from a rambling email sent to IAABO members in which he claims as many as 66 calls a night (or one every 36 seconds) are being blown in your typical game.

Here are some of the other points in this missive:

"Substitution – substitutes are not to be admitted (beckoned-in) until the Timer sounds the HORN. The Official Scorer & Timer determine when a substitute should be admitted/beckoned-in. Don’t override the Scorer & Timer."

Yes, boys and girls. The home team, through its employed, untrained scorer, gets to decide when substitutions are allowed. So if the home book decides it's inappropriate for the high scoring visiting player who has been sitting with 4 personals to come back in with the game tied and 2 minutes left, we're supposed bow to their untrained wisdom, even though Official Scorer & Timer [sic] is never mentioned in 3-3. Neither, for that matter, is the horn. On the basis of this I presume that the Official Scorer & Timer (such as some of those who have posted here over the past couple of years) should also have sole responsibility for calling T's for not reporting.

Apparently, we just plain stink when it comes to fouls...

"*Observations find very obvious 2-3 dozen contact situations per game where Illegal contact
is ruled as being Legal (no-whistle) or Legal contact is ruled as being Illegal contact (wrongly penalized by inaccurate ruling)."

And we're not so hot on traveling either...
"*Observations find upwards of 20-30 situations per game where Legal use of the pivot foot is rule Illegal and Illegal use of the pivot foot ruled Legal. The result is a possession lost when it shouldn’t be and a possession maintained when it shouldn’t be. SERIOUS INJUSTICE!!!!!"

So, if the math is right, we're blowing 44-66 calls/nocalls every night! If we're wrong so often, maybe coaches should only be ejected on a third direct T since they are apparently correct when they take animated and profane note of our apparently non-stop mistakes.

On the bright side, there is apparently a lot of competition for "the worst reffed game ever," a stat on which I always thought I was the clubhouse leader.

Last edited by amusedofficial; Tue Jan 07, 2014 at 11:42pm. Reason: added doses of coherence
Old Tue Jan 07, 2014, 11:46pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Tryin' To Make A Livin' And Doin' The Best I Can ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by amusedofficial View Post
... rambling ... we're blowing 44-66 calls/nocalls every night.
Rambling? You bet. I thought the same exact thing when I read the email. I can't write to save my life, but you can certainly bet that if I were to send out an email "blast" to thousands of IAABO members, I would have put a lot more time, and effort, into its editing. I've seen texting from teenagers that looks better than the email in question.

The email mentions that many of these "blown" calls were observed in Maine. Someone certainly must be doing a poor job of educating IAABO officials in The Pine Tree State. Wait? I'm being told ... Who? Coordinator of Interpreters? From which state? Never mind.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jan 07, 2014 at 11:56pm.
Old Wed Jan 08, 2014, 02:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amusedofficial View Post
This is from a rambling email sent to IAABO members in which he claims as many as 66 calls a night (or one every 36 seconds) are being blown in your typical game.
You'd think that IAABO would only let trained officials send out announcements to their members.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Wed Jan 08, 2014 at 12:25pm.
Old Wed Jan 08, 2014, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

I'd like to give him(?) the benefit of the doubt and assume that the 66 missed calls are from all the games on a given night. Maybe that's a baker's dozen, so 5 or so per game.

I'm not sure I can do that, though.
Old Wed Jan 08, 2014, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

This was the response I received.

As you, I and all know...one can not toss the ball from one hand to another. I can not recall the last time I have seen that occur. It would never an area of concern.

Even though I did re-read 3 times, I did not notice that i should have included the word "bounce": Additionally, it is not a traveling violation...it simply was placed below the Heading.

The area of concern is bouncing/dribbling the ball from one hand to another....the ball coming to rest and the dribble ending/palming each time. As in the description, it occurs very often...it is always illegal. It is NOT RULED ILLEGAL.

Maybe my writing MISTAKE will result in making the correct ruling, a violation, rather than officials simply watching the illegal action and ruling it Legal.

With proof and evidence his first paragraph still contradicts the current rules. I asked our local interpreter what the justification is when the casebook is very explicit that he is wrong, but I think this is a sticky situation for a local interpreter to comment on. Albeit the right response would be, "He's 100% wrong"
Old Thu Jan 09, 2014, 07:20am
Esteemed Forum Member

Quote, Unquote ...

Upon reading the description of the situation you probably realized.....I did not mean tossing the ball from one hand to the other hand. I can't recall the last time I have seen that occur. My writing mistake was in not using the word "bounce".to finish clarifying what the area needing attention is.The issue that was addressed is something that officials need to enforce and we simply watch this violation occur. Please make the clarification with your Board members if you share the memo with them. (Peter Webb, Coordinator of Interpreters, IAABO)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Jan 09, 2014, 08:50am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Upon reading the description of the situation you probably realized.....I did not mean tossing the ball from one hand to the other hand. I can't recall the last time I have seen that occur. My writing mistake was in not using the word "bounce".to finish clarifying what the area needing attention is.The issue that was addressed is something that officials need to enforce and we simply watch this violation occur. Please make the clarification with your Board members if you share the memo with them. (Peter Webb, Coordinator of Interpreters, IAABO)
No, his mistake was in using the word "throws."