The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 06, 2014, 06:19pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
Got this too and I can't figure out what exactly they are talking about. Can't visualize the play they are talking about.
I live in Virginia also, but fortunately I have not received such a ridiculous email. What are the origins?
Old Mon Jan 06, 2014, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
Ask'em what's illegal about the act.
i already sent my email to my interpreter with the case play as well as the wording about how a dribble is defined.

Will let you know when I hear back.
Old Mon Jan 06, 2014, 07:12pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I live in Virginia also, but fortunately I have not received such a ridiculous email. What are the origins?
Came from IAABO directly. Check your SPAM.
Old Mon Jan 06, 2014, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm in Northern VA. As others stated, it was a mass email tied to IAABO. My association must have signed everyone else up, or I got on their mailing list somehow--still fairly new so not sure exactly.
Old Mon Jan 06, 2014, 10:21pm
Administrator

Mark, Jr., and I received the same email this afternoon. The email came from IAABO Headquarters and was sent to all IAABO members. I cannot believe it was included because every basketball officials knows that this is not traveling.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Jan 06, 2014, 11:46pm
Courageous When Prudent

My boards are members of IAABO, but I personally am not. Keeps me from being assigned to games in Connecticut.
Old Tue Jan 07, 2014, 07:08am
Esteemed Forum Member

We'd Never Let You Past The Border ...

Quote:
Keeps me from being assigned to games in Connecticut.
Varsity fee: $91.32. Added bonus: All the taxes that you could afford to pay, plus more.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Jan 07, 2014, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Clarification from IAABO:

The item was not intended to address standing and tossing/throwing/passing the ball from one hand to another, which is legal. I am guilty of not being as clear as I had intended to be. I hope this effort clears your concern up. Very seldom do I observe a player standing and tossing/throwing/passing the ball from one hand to the other. The concern with officials and officiating is that they watch a player begin and end 4, 5, 6, 7, dribbles and do not rule a violation.....I see that on a very regular basis. The situation in the memo was intending to address the player who begins a dribble by throwing/bouncing the ball toward the opposite hand and"catches"/palms the ball, which ends the dribble.
Situation:
End of quarter & end of game...little time remaining. Team wants to consume some time prior to progressing. Usually the "point Guard" has the ball he/she:
Bends his/her knees, bends at the shoulders, instead of standing and holding the ball. Player pushes/bounces the ball from one hand to the other hand,
palms the ball, ball comes to rest in/on a hand/ (ends the dribble) should be ruled a palming violation. Player immediately he/she pushes/bounces the back to the original hand. Palms the ball. Ball comes to rest in/on the hand (ends this second dribble). At times this action continues several times. Officials simply observe and rule this illegal repeated act as being legal.
Old Tue Jan 07, 2014, 10:05am
Archaic Power Monger

Smells like...CYA.
Old Tue Jan 07, 2014, 10:12am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG_Ref View Post

The item was not intended to address standing and tossing/throwing/passing the ball from one hand to another, which is legal. I am guilty of not being as clear as I had intended to be. I hope this effort clears your concern up. Very seldom do I observe a player standing and tossing/throwing/passing the ball from one hand to the other. The concern with officials and officiating is that they watch a player begin and end 4, 5, 6, 7, dribbles and do not rule a violation.....I see that on a very regular basis. The situation in the memo was intending to address the player who begins a dribble by throwing/bouncing the ball toward the opposite hand and"catches"/palms the ball, which ends the dribble.
Situation:
End of quarter & end of game...little time remaining. Team wants to consume some time prior to progressing. Usually the "point Guard" has the ball he/she:
Bends his/her knees, bends at the shoulders, instead of standing and holding the ball. Player pushes/bounces the ball from one hand to the other hand,
palms the ball, ball comes to rest in/on a hand/ (ends the dribble) should be ruled a palming violation. Player immediately he/she pushes/bounces the back to the original hand. Palms the ball. Ball comes to rest in/on the hand (ends this second dribble). At times this action continues several times. Officials simply observe and rule this illegal repeated act as being legal.
I'm with Welpe.
Old Tue Jan 07, 2014, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG_Ref View Post
The situation in the memo was intending to address the player who begins a dribble by throwing/bouncing the ball toward the opposite hand and"catches"/palms the ball, which ends the dribble.
Wish they had a video example of what is seen "on a regular basis" that officials are missing. I tried to find an example on video somewhere and all I could find was this exagerated example of what I think they are talking about(first 10 seconds).
Old Tue Jan 07, 2014, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Smells like...CYA.
And a poor one to boot....

Last edited by asdf; Tue Jan 07, 2014 at 12:33pm.
Old Tue Jan 07, 2014, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

The clarification is just as wrong as the original release.

EDIT...unless he was trying to say this was just a simple dribble with a lot of carries but pushing it to the other hand doesn't sound like a dribble.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Tue Jan 07, 2014 at 01:48pm.
Old Tue Jan 07, 2014, 02:33pm
Esteemed Participant

Interesting clarification...I basically read it as

"Oops. After having several hundred of you tell me I am wrong, what I really meant was this situation which is entirely different from what I sent out before."

And, even in the clarification...I honestly don't think I have ever seen any player doing this so exaggeratedly that it needed to be called.
Old Tue Jan 07, 2014, 02:36pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
The clarification is just as wrong as the original release.

EDIT...unless he was trying to say this was just a simple dribble with a lot of carries but pushing it to the other hand doesn't sound like a dribble.
The clarification references "bouncing" so I think he's trying to say it's a situation of repeated dribbles with the dribbler grabbing the ball with one hand between a few dribbles.

Frankly, I've never seen this, and it's a stretch for me to think it is what he meant in the initial email.

I haven't seen his clarification, however: only the initial email.