Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 26, 2013, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

You Decide - Off White? (video)

You decide - off white?

Old Thu Dec 26, 2013, 04:18pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I have to ask. Are you planning on discussing any of these videos you're posting?
Old Thu Dec 26, 2013, 04:36pm
NFHS Official

It should be whites ball. 13 travels when she drives
Old Thu Dec 26, 2013, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Travel. And the clock is still running. I guess that is what happens when you do not use the stop clock mechanic?
Old Thu Dec 26, 2013, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Clearly a travel first, also appears to be a foul on white with a hold. Past that it impossible to know who its out on. And I find it funny that whoever is chuckling thinks its so obvious. Maybe they are chuckling because of the missed travel? From the angle and velocity it goes out of bounds it looks entirely plausible that it went off white's knee.
Old Thu Dec 26, 2013, 04:41pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
Clearly a travel first, but past that it impossible to know. And I find it funny that whoever is chuckling thinks its so obvious. From the angle and velocity it goes out of bounds it looks entirely plausible that it went off white's knee.
I see it hitting 13's foot last.
Old Thu Dec 26, 2013, 04:46pm
Get away from me, Steve.

No offense to the OP, but the two videos I saw from this game have to be the most uninteresting I've ever seen posted here.
Old Thu Dec 26, 2013, 04:54pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
No offense to the OP, but the two videos I saw from this game have to be the most uninteresting I've ever seen posted here.
I can give them some leeway on the first one regarding whether or not to count the basket. Perhaps they want to educate themselves as to what the correct ruling should be. I agree that this video is pointless.
Old Thu Dec 26, 2013, 05:49pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Here's my comment: 24 blue wearing white sleeves.
Old Thu Dec 26, 2013, 10:19pm
AremRed

Sleeves, travel, clock keeps running, lack of Trail, mechanics of Lead, Lead chases ball.....take your pick with this one.

Can't say for sure about the OOB from this angle. It does look like the ball touches Blue 13's foot last.
Old Thu Dec 26, 2013, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

What can we learn from this video? Especially as it reagrds the OP..

Waste of time, imo of course.
Old Thu Dec 26, 2013, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

The official does provide some extra information and say "off white's foot" which I like to do on close plays and can help sell some of your calls.

However, he should have a stop clock mechanic, point and say whose ball it is, then provide the extra information at the end if you feel it's needed.
Old Fri Dec 27, 2013, 08:00am
Get away from me, Steve.

Blaming the official for the clock not stopping, though, is idiotic, IMO.

The whistle always stops the clock. The mechanic is in case the timer can't hear a whistle, but the gym is empty and there's no way the timer can't hear the whistle.
Old Fri Dec 27, 2013, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

I agree these videos are pretty pointless but since I'm at the office on a slow between Holidays Friday it at least provides me something else to do. Funny that they are titled, "you decide" though as if they are some great teaching clips.

I'm guessing that this is some sort of pre-season scrimmage since the clock is running and the first video has over 11 minutes on the clock in what clearly looks like a HS game. So maybe it's a running clock scrimmage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
Clearly a travel first, also appears to be a foul on white with a hold. Past that it impossible to know who its out on. And I find it funny that whoever is chuckling thinks its so obvious. Maybe they are chuckling because of the missed travel? From the angle and velocity it goes out of bounds it looks entirely plausible that it went off white's knee.
Agree that it's a clear and obvious travel before the start of the dribble. Disagree that it's "impossible" to know who it's out on. It's very clearly off of blue 13's foot. We've all missed those in real time but on replay its clear as day.

I don't like the L's positioning or body language at all. He's way too lackadaisical in widening from the close down position and is leaning over to see the play, which is likely why he called the OOB incorrectly.

And after missing the obvious travel it very well could have been a foul on white for a hand check. But calling that a "hold" with my assignors would be a no no.
Old Fri Dec 27, 2013, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

I'll give it to you on slow-mo you can see it goes off blue's foot, but full speed that wasn't so clear.

And I'm calling it a hold, because the defender has her arm around the front of the dribbler restricting her movement. Would you call it a 'push'? 'hands'?