The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 28, 2011, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

Need Help! Can't decide

I have been looking for a new low profile chest protector for working high school games. I have read many reviews this week and most seem to endorse the Platinum or the Gold. I have been using a Platinum that I bought a couple years ago along with an old Honig's protector for lower levels. I love the protection of the Wilson but I don't like the bulkiness and the "linebacker" look that the Platinum is known for. I'd like to find a new low profile protector that will provide adequate protection for high school baseball. I also LOVE the mesh harness of the K1 and Davishield. I had decided on the Davishield before reading the reviews of some on several forums. I'd like to hear more from some guys who have worn the Davishield for several games and taken shots in games rather than someone just trying it out. I think that would give a more accurate review of the product. I've thought about the new Wilson Gold, Pro, K1, Honig's Zero Gravity, and the Davishield. Does anyone have any knowledge on these products? Any suggestions would also be greatly appreciated.
Old Mon Mar 28, 2011, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

I have a K1, and gave it to my son to work kiddie ball. It's not bad at all, but it doesn't offer the same level of protection, IMO.

I use a WV Gold, which suits my stance better than the Platinum. I wouldn't use anything less for HS and up.
Old Mon Mar 28, 2011, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I have a K1, and gave it to my son to work kiddie ball. It's not bad at all, but it doesn't offer the same level of protection, IMO.

I use a WV Gold, which suits my stance better than the Platinum. I wouldn't use anything less for HS and up.
I've heard that from many people. Is it as bulky as the Platinum?
Old Tue Mar 29, 2011, 06:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKCATSFAN View Post
I've heard that from many people. Is it as bulky as the Platinum?
Yes. The bulk serves a purpose: as the software guys like to say, it's not a bug, it's a feature!
Old Tue Mar 29, 2011, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

I use a K1 that is about 5 years old. I've been hit square by foul balls at the HS level and never felt a thing. Bulk in of it self is not a "feature". The engineering design behind a chest protector is to quickly spread the point force of the ball over a much larger area thus significantly lowering the force you feel (This is the same concept used in bullet proof vests and they are barely noticeable under a shirt). If the point force of a baseball is one square inch, transferring that force over one square foot would reduce it by 144 times. It is not quite linear but you get my meaning.
Old Tue Mar 29, 2011, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKCATSFAN View Post
I have been looking for a new low profile chest protector for working high school games. ......
About 8 years ago, I was using a "low profile" CP in a HS Varsity game. I took a foul ball straight to my sternum. I remember very little after the hit but I came to in the hospital. I wasn't released for more than an hour, when I placed an order for the WV Platinum. Been using that ever since. Cheap CP's can kill you - that's how you make your choice!
Old Tue Mar 29, 2011, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dileonardoja View Post
I use a K1 that is about 5 years old. I've been hit square by foul balls at the HS level and never felt a thing. Bulk in of it self is not a "feature". The engineering design behind a chest protector is to quickly spread the point force of the ball over a much larger area thus significantly lowering the force you feel (This is the same concept used in bullet proof vests and they are barely noticeable under a shirt). If the point force of a baseball is one square inch, transferring that force over one square foot would reduce it by 144 times. It is not quite linear but you get my meaning.
Have you tried using a kevlar vest as a chest protector? I have. Sounded like a good idea. Took a foul shot and it dropped me. Different technology at work there.

I'll take the "bulk" of the WV, thank you.
Old Tue Mar 29, 2011, 11:40am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
About 8 years ago, I was using a "low profile" CP in a HS Varsity game. I took a foul ball straight to my sternum. I remember very little after the hit but I came to in the hospital. I wasn't released for more than an hour, when I placed an order for the WV Platinum. Been using that ever since. Cheap CP's can kill you - that's how you make your choice!
I was fortunate enough to buy a Riddell Power from someone who no longer umpires. To me, it is the perfect match between a low-profile protector and a properly protecting one. I'm hoping it lasts the rest of my umpiring days.

My K1 is sitting here as a backup protector. I do not trust it for high level games, although I did use it for a few seasons.
Old Tue Mar 29, 2011, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

I used a K1 for several years, working many high school games in it. Never had a problem with it and trusted it completely. I now use a Platinum. In my opinion, the Platinum offers a little better protection in this sense; on rare occasions when I took a hard square shot in the K1 it didn't hurt, but I could feel it, something like a very slight sting. I never feel anything in the Platinum. Comfort wise there's no comparison; the K1 is far more comfortable, much cooler and it fit me better. At 6'2 I also liked the 14 inch length of the K1; the Platinum is a little too short in my opinion. I passed the K1 down to my son last year; I wouldn't hesitate to wear it for a varsity high school game again. Just the 2 cents worth from a guy who has worn both extensively.
Old Tue Mar 29, 2011, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
Have you tried using a kevlar vest as a chest protector? I have. Sounded like a good idea. Took a foul shot and it dropped me. Different technology at work there.

I'll take the "bulk" of the WV, thank you.
Because you thought it was a good idea to wear a bullet proof vest as an umpire chest protector, I feel compelled to tell you that it would be a worse idea to wear your west vest to a shootout

Last edited by dileonardoja; Tue Mar 29, 2011 at 03:13pm.
Old Tue Mar 29, 2011, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dileonardoja View Post
Because you thought it was a good idea to wear a bullet proof vest as an umpire chest protector, I feel compelled to tell you that it would be a worse idea to wear your west vest to a shootout
Thanks...I'll try to remember that.

The experiment was done at the urging of a friend who was a New York State Trooper. After the hit, I started wondering how much a friend he was.
Old Tue Mar 29, 2011, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Took foul shot off the right shoulder of my hard shell tonight, as soon at it happened, I thought "d*mn, why does my ear hurt". The ball bounced off the hard shell and hit me in the ear. Had short delay of game while trainer stopped the bleeding. First time that has ever happened to me.

My shoulder is fine. CP is a knockoff brand, but Champion makes one that looks to be identical. I have taken lots of shots with it and have not been hurt at all by a shot to the CP.