The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

I have a block on #2. The defender, with nowhere near LGP, cut under the shooters leg and caused him to flip around and to the floor. Shooter would have landed on his feet otherwise. That is a protect the shooter play if there ever was one.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Mon Jan 13, 2014 at 06:15pm.
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 07:07pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I have a block on #2. The defender, with nowhere near LGP, cut under the shooters leg and caused him to flip around and to the floor. Shooter would have landed on his feet otherwise. That is a protect the shooter play if there ever was one.
Now that I've seen the play on a better video, I agree, should have had a whistle for a block on that play. Defender's torso contacted the airborne shooter's leg.
Old Tue Jan 14, 2014, 05:59am
AremRed

Here are some more plays from this game that I wanted to hear some opinions about.

Old Tue Jan 14, 2014, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

1) Foul on white for pushing through the screen.

2) Hard to tell from this angle, but I probably let it go

3) Black begins the motion just past the FT line -- shooting foul

4) Not a shooting foul

5) Good call -- white pushed black back, then got the rebound

6) Seems right, but tough to see. Why did the officials converse immediately after?

7) Looks like a flop by black
Old Tue Jan 14, 2014, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
1) Foul on white for pushing through the screen.

2) Hard to tell from this angle, but I probably let it go

3) Black begins the motion just past the FT line -- shooting foul

4) Not a shooting foul

5) Good call -- white pushed black back, then got the rebound

6) Seems right, but tough to see. Why did the officials converse immediately after?

7) Looks like a flop by black
Agree on all. #2 is iffy but I would like to see another angle before I say it's wrong.

On a different note, I really don't like the pointing to the floor mechanic used in #3 and #4 when they have a non-shooting foul. I just think waving the shot off and then giving the throw-in spot looks a lot sharper.
Old Tue Jan 14, 2014, 01:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

1. Push by the white defensive player.
2. Probably illegal, but I hope it was the first kind of play. I did not see a lot of displacement, just a guy going around the screen on some level.
3. Give him foul shots.
4. Give him shots. BTW, I hate one armed mechanics. Wave the basket off or award shots.
5. I have no idea who that foul was called on. Looks like a play on to me.
6. Common foul. I hope there is not a consideration for anything else. Basketball play that had two out of control players.
7. Looks like more of a flop and little contact. I would rather have a play on here.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 14, 2014, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Agree on all. #2 is iffy but I would like to see another angle before I say it's wrong.
Agree on all counts with the same point on #2. It might be a good illegal screen call...I tend to think so.
Old Tue Jan 14, 2014, 02:26pm
AremRed

1. Is this Lead's call or Trail?
2. I've heard almost a 50/50 split on whether this play is legal or illegal

5. That's me making the call. I felt black had prime rebounding position and was displaced (even just a little) when white returned inbounds. I held my whistle until there was advantage realized. If the basket was good or rolled off the rim the other direction I would have let this go.
6. I ran to my partner to ask him if he wanted to upgrade. He said no.
7. Either a no-call or a block I think.
Old Tue Jan 14, 2014, 02:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
1. Is this Lead's call or Trail?
It could be the C's call if they have a clean look at this play. The Trail is on ball at this play, they would likely catch it late if at all. Well no one caught it or passed on it for some reason.

Quote:
5. That's me making the call. I felt black had prime rebounding position and was displaced (even just a little) when white returned inbounds. I held my whistle until there was advantage realized. If the basket was good or rolled off the rim the other direction I would have let this go.
I just do not see much displacement, but then again you had a much better angle. The video looks more like normal contact.

Quote:
6. I ran to my partner to ask him if he wanted to upgrade. He said no.
Why would you ask him? It was his play and if you had a call I could see the discussion. But it looked like he saw the play the entire way, no need for a discussion IMO.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 14, 2014, 02:52pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Why would you ask him? It was his play and if you had a call I could see the discussion. But it looked like he saw the play the entire way, no need for a discussion IMO.
Based on the game temperature. It was a frustration foul as black was losing by a lot. This, coupled with the dead ball contact from the other video made me think that we should call this an INT to put a foot on any other ideas black had about hard fouls.
Old Tue Jan 14, 2014, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Based on the game temperature. It was a frustration foul as black was losing by a lot. This, coupled with the dead ball contact from the other video made me think that we should call this an INT to put a foot on any other ideas black had about hard fouls.
Trust your partner.
Old Tue Jan 14, 2014, 03:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Well your partner did not seem to be too concerned. If I were you, I would have been more concerned about the players on the floor than talking with my partner at that moment. Let your partner do his job on a play he was mostly responsible for. If he felt it was that bad, he could have called it originally. This was a basketball play. I get thinking on some level this should be upgraded, but this is not a play where that discussion needs to be had.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 14, 2014, 03:28pm
TODO: creative title here

#6) IMHO, as the trail, you shouldn't go sprinting over there... hold your spot, make sure that the fouled player (or his teammate) doesn't get up with "ill intent", so to speak.

If there are "game temperature" concerns, the freeze and observe routine becomes even more important, IMHO.
Old Tue Jan 14, 2014, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree with you. I think that was a good get. Black was clearly displaced by white's shove in the back. It wasn't dramatic. It may have not even been obvious to the casual observer. But, he was displaced.....and it shifted the advantage to white on that rebound. If white didn't get it, it would be a no-call....but it had a possession consequence making it a good call.
Old Tue Jan 14, 2014, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
#6) IMHO, as the trail, you shouldn't go sprinting over there... hold your spot, make sure that the fouled player (or his teammate) doesn't get up with "ill intent", so to speak.

If there are "game temperature" concerns, the freeze and observe routine becomes even more important, IMHO.
I agree on the "sprinting." If I make a call, and I think there's any chance that I might have missed something that would result in an "upgrade" then I'm making eye contact with my partners to see if they have anything to add.

Then, we get together.