The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 21, 2013, 07:27am
Esteemed Forum Member

Baby Needs A New Pair Of Shoes ...

Girls varsity game. Sixty second time out. I'm at the circle. Partner has ball on end line. Home team breaks huddle early, and all five home players come onto the court. Visitors are still in their timeout huddle. Still no warning horn. Home point guard decides to tie her shoe, right in front of home bench, while on the playing court. She struggles with the knot, and ends up sitting on the floor, and taking off her shoe. Warning horn sounds. Visitors are still in the huddle, while she struggles to put on, and tie shoe. Horn sounds to end timeout, and visitors break huddle, and come onto the court, while point guard is still sitting on the floor, struggling to tie the shoe. I figure that she's just a few seconds away from being ready to play, so I hold up my hand to delay my partner putting the ball in play, so he delays. A few seconds turns into several seconds. Home coach, on his own volition, sends substitute for "knot challenged" point guard to table, and I allow substitute in, after the warning horn.

My other choices? Not allowing substitute and continue to wait with no penalty? Not allowing substitute and force the home team to take a timeout? Send "knot challenged" player to the bench (like discovering jewelry, or an untucked jersey, but I don't think that there's a rule for this) and ask for a substitute? Delay of game warning? Let my partner put the ball into play with the point guard still on the floor?

Comments?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Dec 21, 2013 at 08:33am.
Old Sat Dec 21, 2013, 09:41am
Keeper of the HAMMER

The player is not ready to play due to an equipment issue; I'm letting the sub in.
Old Sat Dec 21, 2013, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

SOME subs are allowed after the warning horn. Use 2-3 to make this one of those times.
Old Sat Dec 21, 2013, 10:37am
Stubborn Member

I can certainly see allowing the substitution due to equipment issues, but I can also see allowing the player to get the shoe tied.

What if the coach doesn't want to take that girl out of the game? Is there a rule that says the player must be sent off the court?
Old Sat Dec 21, 2013, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

You could deem it a safety issue and make her leave. Or maker her play with the shoe "as is". (Both after giving her a "reasonable" (an interpretation that wil vary by official and situation) chance to fix it.)
Old Sat Dec 21, 2013, 10:55am
certified Hot Mom tester

Shoo her off the court.
Old Sat Dec 21, 2013, 11:23am
Esteemed Forum Member

Who Let The DOGs Out ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
What if the coach doesn't want to take that girl out of the game?
Delay of game warning (failure to have the court ready for play following any time-out)? Just like water on the court after a timeout, but, in this case, it's a girl on the court?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Dec 21, 2013 at 11:27am.
Old Sat Dec 21, 2013, 01:27pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Delay of game warning (failure to have the court ready for play following any time-out)? Just like water on the court after a timeout, but, in this case, it's a girl on the court?
Wouldn't a team have to purposely cause the delay for that to happen? In your example, the team left the water out there. Not sure you can blame the player for her shoe getting all screwed up.

I'm a pretty impatient person, so I wouldn't like doing it, but I'd keep waiting for her to get the shoe tied. Or, if the coach wanted to, I'd allow a sub.
Old Sat Dec 21, 2013, 01:28pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Delay of game warning (failure to have the court ready for play following any time-out)?
The court was ready for play; the player wasn't.

I like your decision. Treat it like an untucked jersey and get a sub.
Old Sat Dec 21, 2013, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Sub!
Old Sat Dec 21, 2013, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's way too much interpretation of 2-3, imo.
Old Sat Dec 21, 2013, 02:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It's Not An Untucked Jersey, Jewelry, Or Blood ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
The court was ready for play; the player wasn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
That's way too much interpretation of 2-3.
Thus, the two question marks in my post. Just trying to find a straw to grasp in case the ...

Quote:
...coach doesn't want to take that girl out of the game?

Old Sat Dec 21, 2013, 02:46pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
No.

Quote:
Wouldn't a team have to purposely cause the delay for that to happen? In your example, the team left the water out there. Not sure you can blame the player for her shoe getting all screwed up.

I'm a pretty impatient person, so I wouldn't like doing it, but I'd keep waiting for her to get the shoe tied. Or, if the coach wanted to, I'd allow a sub.
No, the delay doesn't have to be intentional.
None of the DOG warnings require intent.

If the coach doesn't sub, I'm going to wait a reasonable amount of time before requiring one. I will also decide what is reasonable.