The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 18, 2013, 03:36pm
Often wrong never n doubt

T or Intentional?

VB 3 man crew. H1 shots the ball and makes it. During the rebounding actions H2 and V1 get there arms tangled up. I am the C. I hear the new trail tell them "let go." V1 drops his arms and H2 two hand shoves V1. I gave H2 a technical as the ball was rolling on the floor under the basket. This is correct I believe as the ball was dead still.

Confession: I did not take into account the status of the ball when I seen it. I just instinctively called the T. Then I started thinking it should have been intentional as it was during play. However thinking back I am almost certain V had not picked up the ball yet and I know for a fact T had not started a count as he was watching the rebounders. Long story short, I think I got lucky.
Old Wed Dec 18, 2013, 03:52pm
Courageous When Prudent

And when you checked the rulebook, was your luck confirmed?
Old Wed Dec 18, 2013, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

It sounds like it was both intentional and T.

(those aren't exclusive terms.)
Old Wed Dec 18, 2013, 04:02pm
Often wrong never n doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Pretty much.
Old Wed Dec 18, 2013, 04:08pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
VB 3 man crew. H1 shots
I would have given H1 a technical for shooting the ball.
Old Wed Dec 18, 2013, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Did your new trail have a whistle? Sounds like he had this whole play the whole way.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Some of the responses thus far have been sarcastic/vague ...

Can someone confirm that the correct call in this situation is a Technical Foul (because the ball was was dead after a made basket but before it was at the thrower's disposal).

On a side note, I find the "what did the rule book say" type responses very unhelpful. I don't always have my rule book with me 24x7 to look things up.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 08:56am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post

Can someone confirm that the correct call in this situation is a Technical Foul (because the ball was was dead after a made basket but before it was at the thrower's disposal).

On a side note, I find the "what did the rule book say" type responses very unhelpful. I don't always have my rule book with me 24x7 to look things up.
The question comes down to when the ball becomes dead, and when it comes live again. The OP had it correct (perhaps by luck).

The ball becomes dead when the ball goes through the basket, and it becomes live again when the new T starts his 5 second count.

And for the record, Bob's answer was neither vague nor sarcastic. It also had the bonus property of adding more information.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
And for the record, Bob's answer was neither vague nor sarcastic. It also had the bonus property of adding more information.
Thank you ... and I was not necessarily refering to Bob in this case. This time it was BadNewRef (but honestly it's something that I notice with lots of posts and was not intended to be pointed at any one person)

Last edited by HokiePaul; Thu Dec 19, 2013 at 09:06am.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Didn't I answer this a few mintues ago? Maybe I forgot to hit "post".

In any event, it's an Intentional Technical foul.

It's not an Intentional Personal foul.

And, there's always a tension between "teaching a man to fish" and "giving a man a fish."
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 10:02am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post

jeremy already answered the question. And since this happened in his game, he had time to look it up at some point afterwards. I don't see why I need to give the rulebook reference if I know he is going to look it up. I already know the correct answer, but I might not have assess to the rulebook at that moment either, so how am I going to give a reference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Quote:
Pretty much.

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Dec 19, 2013 at 10:07am.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
VB 3 man crew. H1 shots the ball and makes it. During the rebounding actions H2 and V1 get there arms tangled up. I am the C. I hear the new trail tell them "let go." V1 drops his arms and H2 two hand shoves V1. I gave H2 a technical as the ball was rolling on the floor under the basket. This is correct I believe as the ball was dead still.

Confession: I did not take into account the status of the ball when I seen it. I just instinctively called the T. Then I started thinking it should have been intentional as it was during play. However thinking back I am almost certain V had not picked up the ball yet and I know for a fact T had not started a count as he was watching the rebounders. Long story short, I think I got lucky.
Had a play similar to this during a game two weeks ago. I was new lead, and had the call. I went up with a closed fist, but didn't indicate anything else. Went to my partner, who also saw the play...after conferring, we went with intentional.

To the OP, (and the board) the play, as described by the OP, is that the kind of play that you could go with a closed fist, then get with your partners? Or do you feel that a call needs to be made right away?
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

You can definitely get together. Some would say it's preferable (depending on the situation).
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 10:30am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by stir22 View Post
Had a play similar to this during a game two weeks ago. I was new lead, and had the call. I went up with a closed fist, but didn't indicate anything else. Went to my partner, who also saw the play...after conferring, we went with intentional.
My partners had this play last week. I was the Trail and not involved in the play. Lead went up closed fist with the intent of going FF1, but conferred with the C first, then came out with the crossed arms. He then came to me to make sure I knew what was going on. Great communication on his part from beginning to end.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

So if the shot from the OP would have missed and stayed in play and the action played out the same the correct call would have been an intentional foul, with a determination needing to be made of whether the contact was flagrant (player ejection)? But really, whether you call technical or intentional its just semantics because the penalty is the same in this case? Both count towards team fouls, both result in two shots plus ball. Am I missing something?