The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 01, 2006, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Intentional HBP What to do?

Had a game 2 nights ago with 15 and under girls FP.Player was HBP on 1st pitch, at the end of the inning assistant coach informed me that his player was hit intentionally by Pitcher. I laughed and said to myself no way. Next time up same girl was drilled in her lower back by Pitcher again on 1st pitch.I stopped the game and brought out the other coach and warned him that if the same girl was HBP he and his Pitcher would be ejected for Unsportsman's like conduct. Wouldn't you know next time at bat same girl is hit again in her foot area. (Parents are screaming on both sides) I ejected both Pitcher and Coach, before leaving field Coach that was ejected announced he was protesting game. Note that this was the only Player that was hit during the game. Also player that was hit 3x said there was a problem between her the pitcher and catcher in a diffrent league in the Spring. Please state how you would have dealt with the situation
Old Sat Jul 01, 2006, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIIRISHMAN
Had a game 2 nights ago with 15 and under girls FP.Player was HBP on 1st pitch, at the end of the inning assistant coach informed me that his player was hit intentionally by Pitcher. I laughed and said to myself no way. Next time up same girl was drilled in her lower back by Pitcher again on 1st pitch.I stopped the game and brought out the other coach and warned him that if the same girl was HBP he and his Pitcher would be ejected for Unsportsman's like conduct. Wouldn't you know next time at bat same girl is hit again in her foot area. (Parents are screaming on both sides) I ejected both Pitcher and Coach, before leaving field Coach that was ejected announced he was protesting game. Note that this was the only Player that was hit during the game. Also player that was hit 3x said there was a problem between her the pitcher and catcher in a diffrent league in the Spring. Please state how you would have dealt with the situation
Exactly the same way. You gave a warning, and the same batter was hit again. I also would have informed the person(s) in charge of the league.

Bob
Old Sat Jul 01, 2006, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

100% agreement here. The coach's protest holds no water.
Old Sat Jul 01, 2006, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

The only thing you need to say is, "In my judgement, there was unsportsmanlike conduct and the ejection was the result."
In my judgement are the most powerful words and tools that you have as an official.
Ignore the protest as it was a judgement call.

I know this is stretching it a bit but, you judged it to be an act of unsportsmanlike conduct, therefore it is.

I had this exact thing happen in a National Championship, and it was upheld as a judgement call by the UIC.
Not one of teh things you want to do regularly but it is a tool to be used judiciously.
Old Sat Jul 01, 2006, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

An ejected coach cannot protest a game; he is no longer representing that team.