The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 06, 2013, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetime1 View Post
Team A shooting 2 shots. When the ball is bounced to the FT shooter lane space 1 and 2 simultaneously switch spots before the shot is taken. Whistle is immediately blown to identify the violation. What happens next?
The players in lane space 1 and 2 were lined up correctly. Then they switched simultaneously as the ball was being bounced to the shooter for a 2 shot FT sequence as the first of two shots was about to be executed.
Old Fri Dec 06, 2013, 10:33pm
Courageous When Prudent

Ball not yet at disposal when noticed, kill it and fix it.
Old Sat Dec 07, 2013, 01:19am
C'mon man!!

Had this happen tonight. Two players lined up backwards on the same side. Partner and players caught it before we administered.
Old Sun Dec 08, 2013, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The players in lane space 1 and 2 were lined up correctly. Then they switched simultaneously as the ball was being bounced to the shooter for a 2 shot FT sequence as the first of two shots was about to be executed.
Ball was at disposal of FT Shooter. It was about to hit the floor on the bounce of the pass by the lead official.
Old Sun Dec 08, 2013, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ball was at disposal of FT Shooter. It was about to hit the floor on the bounce of the pass by the lead official.
If your second statement is accurate, then your first statement isn't.

It is not at the disposal until the shooter catches the ball (or the ball is placed on the floor for the shooter who isn't there). Until it is, the ball is still dead before the FT and then there can be no violation.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Sun Dec 08, 2013 at 05:42pm.
Old Sun Dec 08, 2013, 07:33pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Like Cameron said...you probably need to brush up on your definition on "at the disposal of"...
Old Sun Dec 08, 2013, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Like Cameron said...you probably need to brush up on your definition on "at the disposal of"...
Definitions are your friend.
Old Sun Dec 08, 2013, 08:46pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Ball not yet at disposal when noticed, kill it and fix it.
Yeah, what I said Friday.
Old Sun Dec 08, 2013, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ok so forget the word disposal. Ball was on the way up to be caught by the free throw shooter when the two players simultaneously switched. How much of a fraction of a second does that give me to "kill" the play? I still don't know how the situation should have been handled correctly.
Old Sun Dec 08, 2013, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ok so forget the word disposal. Ball was on the way up to be caught by the free throw shooter when the two players simultaneously switched. How much of a fraction of a second does that give me to "kill" the play? I still don't know how the situation should have been handled correctly.
If you're looking for the answer by rule, look at post 9 which is the case book play
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 12:20am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
If you notice it before the ball is at A1's disposal, then hit your whistle, get the ball back, then re-administer the free throw.
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 01:01am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Frankly, if it's happening as the shooter is catching the ball from the official, I'm killing it to restart. I'm going to lean towards avoiding the violation here if I can. If, however, the defender initiated the entire thing, I'll just call the defensive violation (as Camron notes previously) and move on with the delayed defensive violation.
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
When in doubt whether it happened before or after the ball was at the disposal, it happened before. Blow the whistle even if the whistle is after the ball was caught.