Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 06, 2013, 08:45am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
Next time you are writing a report at work, a cover letter for a new job, or anything else that requires a degree of professionalism, go ahead and start sentences with coordinating conjunctions and see how it works out for you. Doing so is a grammatical trick that should be used judiciously and is really only effective in narratives and story telling.
The web is informal, we are not writing dissertations. However, even informal writing requires punctuation and capitalization.
Old Fri Dec 06, 2013, 08:45am
Esteemed Forum Member

Are We Using A Blue Font For Sarcastic Posts ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I doubt I could find one person that matters that actually cares anything about a preposition at the beginning of a sentence. There would be very few jobs that depend on rigid academic grammar that would be worth having. Most intelligent hiring managers care about how well you might actually do the job, not some archaic grammar rule.
NFHS editor? Those that write the "User's Manual" for products that are made in China?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Dec 06, 2013, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
NFHS editors? Those that who write the "User's Manual" for products that are made in China?
FIFY.

Just to join in on what seems to be an amazing morning of off topic posts and pointless bickering.

And, I am not making any claim that my grammar and spelling is worthy of even a passing grade in a JH English class.
Old Fri Dec 06, 2013, 09:00am
Esteemed Forum Member

Correct Spelling And Grammar Guy ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I am not making any claim that my grammar and spelling is worthy of even a passing grade in a JH English class.
It's still better than many of us.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Dec 06, 2013, 09:07am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Since we're nitpicking, we can tell the age of posters on the Forum by how many spaces they place after a period at the end of a sentence. Old timers like me, who learned to type on a typewriter (look it up younguns, or watch for one on Antiques Roadshow) were taught to hit the space bar twice after the period at the end of a sentence. Forum members who grew up during the digital age, and learned to "type" on a keyboard, are taught to only hit the space bar once after the period at the end of a sentence, which is now considered the accepted practice.
This depends on which writing style you're using. Chicago uses one space, for example. Others use two. I had a crappy time editing my Chicago Style papers for this reason.
Old Fri Dec 06, 2013, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Someone once told me never to end a sentence with a preposition.
Reminds me of a story...

There once was a guy who asked his mechanic, "where is my car at?"

The mechanic replied, "Sir, you do not end sentences with a preposition."

The inquiring guy said, "Ok... where is my car at, A$$hole?"
Richland, WA

Last edited by RookieDude; Fri Dec 06, 2013 at 09:52am.
Old Fri Dec 06, 2013, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Since we're nitpicking, we can tell the age of posters on the Forum by how many spaces they place after a period at the end of a sentence. Old timers like me, who learned to type on a typewriter (look it up younguns, or watch for one on Antiques Roadshow) were taught to hit the space bar twice after the period at the end of a sentence. Forum members who grew up during the digital age, and learned to "type" on a keyboard, are taught to only hit the space bar once after the period at the end of a sentence, which is now considered the accepted practice.
Dang it, Billy! Thanks for placing me squarely in the "old timers" category!
Old Fri Dec 06, 2013, 10:55am
Often wrong never n doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMOzebra View Post
Dang it, Billy! Thanks for placing me squarely in the "old timers" category!
Put me in that category. I am 35 but I learned on a typewriter and I still double space after a period.
Old Fri Dec 06, 2013, 11:15am
Esteemed Participant

Try being married to a HS English teacher. And having her correct me all the time for starting sentences with conjunctions. But I just shrug and keep on. Or ending sentences with a preposition. For that matter, forgetting to capitalize often gets me in trouble. Nor does that faze me. Yet I struggle on.

Did I get all the conjunctions?
Old Fri Dec 06, 2013, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

When I'm consoling those who make grammar mistakes, I often give them a hug and say "There, their, they're."

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Try being married to a HS English teacher. And having her correct me all the time for starting sentences with conjunctions. But I just shrug and keep on. Or ending sentences with a preposition. For that matter, forgetting to capitalize often gets me in trouble. Nor does that faze me. Yet I struggle on.

Did I get all the conjunctions?
Fragment...

Quote:
While not strictly forbidden, it is considered acceptable only in informal written communication.
"While not strictly forbidden" is a passive transition. Tighten this up.

Quote:
Perhaps we are not that formal. It is still ironic to point out another's lack of grammar using sentence structure that isn't widely accepted.
One should avoid the passive voice as much as possible.
Old Fri Dec 06, 2013, 12:10pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I'm not sure if you know this or not, but vBulletin removes the superfluous space. Go ahead, edit your post and see how many spaces there are from the period to the first letter of the next sentence.

And (yes, I did this on purpose) johnny d, feel free to continue being a jerk. The guy's posts are virtually unreadable and, yet, here you are defending him by trying to make some obscure point with me. I'd actually like to hear what the guy has to say, but I'm not going to bother trying to translate his text-speak into English. And I'm being nice by assuming it's just text speak, because the alternative...

(Why is it when I text someone I still manage to find the shift key and the punctuation?)
Old Fri Dec 06, 2013, 12:50pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I'm not sure if you know this or not, but vBulletin removes the superfluous space. Go ahead, edit your post and see how many spaces there are from the period to the first letter of the next sentence.

And (yes, I did this on purpose) johnny d, feel free to continue being a jerk. The guy's posts are virtually unreadable and, yet, here you are defending him by trying to make some obscure point with me. I'd actually like to hear what the guy has to say, but I'm not going to bother trying to translate his text-speak into English. And I'm being nice by assuming it's just text speak, because the alternative...

(Why is it when I text someone I still manage to find the shift key and the punctuation?)

Thanks for granting me permission to continue being a jerk. I am quite sure I would have done so regardless.

If you want to consider facts, I have one that you failed to notice even though it is not obscure. I did not ever defend anyone's poor grammar. I will be nice and assume that you weren't thinking clearly at the time you made that statement because the alternative........
Old Fri Dec 06, 2013, 12:55pm
Esteemed Participant

Looks like the asshats are coming out of the stands early this season.
Old Fri Dec 06, 2013, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

OP's question answered...check

Bonus grammar lesson...check

Think we're done here.

Quote:
Thanks for granting me permission to continue being a jerk. I am quite sure I would have done so regardless.

If you want to consider facts, I have one that you failed to notice even though it is not obscure. I did not ever defend anyone's poor grammar. I will be nice and assume that you weren't thinking clearly at the time you made that statement because the alternative........
Added by Rich:

Not quite, APG.

Deflecting my choice to ask him to write something readable by ripping apart my (considerably better) grammar is, in effect, defending him.

Now you can lock the thread. Sheesh.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Closed Thread