The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 21, 2001, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

At about this time last year, there was a very informative discussion on this board regarding reporting fouls to the table, focusing on very specific techniques. If any new participants/officials are interested, you can do a keyword - subject only - search for "reporting foul" to take you directly to the comments. The thread was “Reporting Foul - Hand Signal.”

Of particular value are the suggestions of BktballRef, Mark Padgett, mick, and mikeref regarding position of the hand, speed of the signal, and how verbalize the offender's number.

Following their advice is of invaluable help to the scorer in preventing mistakes in the book.

The National Federation has for some years recommended that the official scorer wear stripes. When working the table, I never have because I've thought it seemed pretentious. The only time I've seen a scorer in uniform in this area is at the state tournament.

How about you guys? Are there many (any?) high school scorers doing so, and more importantly, in your view, has it helped the game or had any noticeable effect?

Sven
Old Fri Dec 21, 2001, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

I must say, as a person with several years of timing and scoring under my belt, that I have NEVER seen the scorer wear a striped jersey at ANY high school game I have attended.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2001, 11:18am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up Scorer stripes

Quote:
Originally posted by Sven
At about this time last year, there was a very informative discussion on this board regarding reporting fouls to the table, focusing on very specific techniques. If any new participants/officials are interested, you can do a keyword - subject only - search for "reporting foul" to take you directly to the comments. The thread was “Reporting Foul - Hand Signal.”

Of particular value are the suggestions of BktballRef, Mark Padgett, mick, and mikeref regarding position of the hand, speed of the signal, and how verbalize the offender's number.

Following their advice is of invaluable help to the scorer in preventing mistakes in the book.

The National Federation has for some years recommended that the official scorer wear stripes. When working the table, I never have because I've thought it seemed pretentious. The only time I've seen a scorer in uniform in this area is at the state tournament.

How about you guys? Are there many (any?) high school scorers doing so, and more importantly, in your view, has it helped the game or had any noticeable effect?

Sven
Sven,
Yes, I love it when the scorer wears stripes. But we only have a couple high schools that follow that dress code.
In a new gym where the scorer is not familiar, the stripes point me to the proper face.
We've got two universities in our area. One uses stripes and one does not.
I think the uniform adds to the ambience (if you are allowed to do that in a basketball game)
mick
Old Fri Dec 21, 2001, 01:07pm
9 times

I did a game laast Friday night and while the scorer wore the same turtle neck and sweater combination aas the rest of the table crew, he raised his hand every time I reported a foul so I sould quickly identify him. It was great--he was easy to find and he gave us great eye contact.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Fri Dec 21, 2001, 02:12pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink Re: Scorer stripes

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Sven,
Yes, I love it when the scorer wears stripes. But we only have a couple high schools that follow that dress code.
In a new gym where the scorer is not familiar, the stripes point me to the proper face.
I think the uniform adds to the ambience (if you are allowed to do that in a basketball game)
mick
If I was a scorer, I would never wear stripes, especially at a HS game. It would make it appear I was "on the side of those biased refs who are screwing my team again" and make me too easy a target. That might add to the ambulance of the game.
Old Sat Dec 22, 2001, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

At about 8 or 9 high schools in my area, they pay the officials to do the timing. We never do the scoring. Ususally it is the JV official (or an injured varsity official that can't ref), doing the clock and we wear our stripes. One of the down sides to this is that people at the table ask us if we agree with the call, or to explain a call. I tell them we never, ever, miss a call If you don't believe me, just ask me! We get $25.00 for a varsity game and $30.00 during district/region playoffs.