The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Scorer behavior (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/96693-scorer-behavior.html)

AremRed Wed Dec 04, 2013 05:51pm

Scorer behavior

Varsity game. Player A1 is fouled hard and injured. His father is the home scorer. The scorer leaves his post and comes onto the floor to check on his son. As he does so he yells at and berates the officials.

Do you:

Remove him?

Remove him and eject him?

Technical foul against the home team?

Any combo of the above?

#olderthanilook Wed Dec 04, 2013 05:53pm

If this is a youth level game, I remove him and alert game management immediately to minimize the odds of any further antics.

AremRed Wed Dec 04, 2013 06:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by #olderthanilook (Post 912868)
If this is a youth level game, I remove him and alert game management immediately to minimize the odds of any further antics.

It was a varsity game.

Raymond Wed Dec 04, 2013 06:19pm

I'm telling game mgmt we need a new scorer, and I'm asking game mgmt to have him removed from the gym.

rpirtle Wed Dec 04, 2013 07:12pm

If his comments were loud enough for all to hear...there's really no choice. He has to leave. If the comments were not heard by all...I might try to find a way for him to stay...it depends on his demeanor.

It's a shame the evening had to go SO bad for the guy. But he kind'a brought it on himself.

Adam Wed Dec 04, 2013 07:36pm

If he's quiet he might get to stay in the gym. No way he stays at the table.

rpirtle Wed Dec 04, 2013 08:18pm

Oh absolutely...that's what I meant. Thanks for pointing that out so I could clarify.

JetMetFan Wed Dec 04, 2013 08:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 912880)
If he's quiet he might get to stay in the gym. No way he stays at the table.

What Adam said…he might be able to stay in the gym. There’s no way he’s staying at the table.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 912866)
Technical foul against the home team?

Regarding this idea – remember, the scorer and timer(s) are table officials. They’re not bench personnel. They work with/for us.

RookieDude Wed Dec 04, 2013 08:28pm

Replace him...

"You are now a fan sir...go yell all you want in the stands."

BryanV21 Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:50am

No technical foul. But he certainly gets removed from the table. As for removal from the gym... nah. Let him be a fan and yell at me like the other fans do. :rolleyes:

AremRed Thu Dec 05, 2013 01:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 912884)
Regarding this idea – remember, the scorer and timer(s) are table officials. They’re not bench personnel. They work with/for us.

At my association meeting several members said "you can't tech a member of the officiating crew!"

dee33 Thu Dec 05, 2013 07:20am

Question

why is a parent of a player working the score anyway just curious but to answer the question he's my number 1 fan now cheer me on.

deecee Thu Dec 05, 2013 07:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dee33 (Post 912934)
why is a parent of a player working the score anyway just curious but to answer the question he's my number 1 fan now cheer me on.

A lot of times the scorers will be parents of one player or another.

dee33 Thu Dec 05, 2013 08:38am

??????

does happen probably but should that be the case on a varsity level i wouldnt allow it honestly

bob jenkins Thu Dec 05, 2013 08:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dee33 (Post 912941)
does happen probably but should that be the case on a varsity level i wouldnt allow it honestly

You're going to start quizzing all the table personnel to see if they have a kid on the team and have them removed if they do? (I must be misreading your post)