The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 02, 2005, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Okay, now that most of you have actually experienced the new NFHS libero position (we in Michigan have yet yo begin our season)...I have a question regarding the "tracker" we were informed about.

I've scanned the rule book and the rule 6-3 doesn't address it (we were told it did). If you arrive at a site and the home team does not provide a LT but the coach lists a libero on the roster/lineup does the libero still play? If not, when do you inform the coach about the requirement for a LT? Have you had any situations where this comes up?

If the visitor plays with a libero but the home team doesn't is the visitor required to provide a LT? What if the visitor tells you its the home team's job? I can then see the home team, after getting a visiting team's LT at the scorer's table then asking to play a libero.

Again, this is new and I haven't seen any of this...yet. Maybe it won't be such a big deal but they seem to have placed another "administrative" reponsibility on the officials regarding the oversite of this LT position.
Old Wed Nov 02, 2005, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
I've scanned the rule book and the rule 6-3 doesn't address it (we were told it did). If you arrive at a site and the home team does not provide a LT but the coach lists a libero on the roster/lineup does the libero still play? If not, when do you inform the coach about the requirement for a LT?
I've asked during the coach/captains meeting.

(to home coach): Coach, are you using a libero this evening?
Coach: Yes
Me: Then we'll need you to supply a libero tracker.

If the answer is no, then I'll remind them that if they choose to use one in game 2 or beyond, they'll need to supply a libero tracker.

Hasn't been a problem at all this year. I think from my tone of voice, they understand if they want to use the libero, we'll need them to supply a tracker.

Quote:
If the visitor plays with a libero but the home team doesn't is the visitor required to provide a LT?
Yes.

Quote:
What if the visitor tells you its the home team's job?
Tell them they're wrong.

Quote:
I can then see the home team, after getting a visiting team's LT at the scorer's table then asking to play a libero.
Lineups are due early enough that you can swap trackers once you've determined the home team is using a libero. Easy enough problem to solve.

Quote:
Again, this is new and I haven't seen any of this...yet. Maybe it won't be such a big deal but they seem to have placed another "administrative" reponsibility on the officials regarding the oversite of this LT position.
Nah. Just get comfortable with who is supposed to supply the tracker.

Home team using (regardless): they supply the tracker
Visiting team using: They supply ONLY if home team is NOT using the libero.
Both teams using: see home team
Neither team using: tracker unnecessary, but make sure no one decides to list one in subsequent games.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Wed Nov 02, 2005, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Ditto to what Felix said. Actually, the Libero wasn't nealy as big an adjustment as most of us thought it would be. After the first game or so it became second nature. Hope you have a good season. Let us know how it goes. By the way, why is the Michiagn season so late?
Old Wed Nov 02, 2005, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by refnrev
...By the way, why is the Michiagn season so late?
Don't EVEN get me started!

Michigan has had the girl's basketball and volleyball season "swapped" for as long as I remember. There was a big lawsuit over the seasons two years ago, and it looked as if the MHSAA lost and the seasons would switch to match everyone else earlier this year. But that was not to be. A judge overturned the ruling and the fight continues. Basically it boils down to "gender equity". Until then we aparently enjoy being different???? Girls Basketball in the Fall and Volleyball in the Winter.
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Michiganders are a unique species, aren't they?
Old Sat Nov 05, 2005, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by FMadera
Quote:
Home team using (regardless): they supply the tracker
Visiting team using: They supply ONLY if home team is NOT using the libero.
Both teams using: see home team
Neither team using: tracker unnecessary, but make sure no one decides to list one in subsequent games.
That's it in nut shell!

We did it that way last year, but this year the powers that be in Oregon decided that the home team would always provide the tracker - no big deal really, as I'd guesstimate 90% of the varsity & 60% of the sub-varsity teams I had this season used a libero.

[Edited by TimTaylor on Nov 5th, 2005 at 08:37 AM]