The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 15, 2001, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Last night, during a J/V game, we had an overly zealous scorer. Everytime my partner or I would call a foul or award a time-out, the scorer would anticipate the call and record it in the book before we ever got to the table. As we reported the foul or time-out, the scorer would just sit there and shake his head affirming that he already had the info. I actually watched him record the call in the book before it was reported. Granted, many times it is obvious who committed the foul and undoubtedly they are aware of who called the timeout. But, isn't that unappropriate for a scorer?
Old Sat Dec 15, 2001, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

no scorer i ever had be that smart to even try to do that. maybe that is a good thing
Old Sat Dec 15, 2001, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

in the nba announcers sometimes announce who fouled and what the foul was before the officials report. they are very good. the nba guys seem to like it.
Old Sat Dec 15, 2001, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Scorer Behavior

Rev.Ref63:

This sounds like the work of an inexperienced scorer.

I've been workiing both sides of the table, so to speak, for over ten years. When keeping score, I'll sometimes nod to the official immediately after the report just to let him/her know I understand. Even though I may be in a hurry to record the information, I try to hold eye contact as long as he/she does.

Never would I anticipate the call; been burnt too many times.

Plus, I use a pen.

Sven
Old Sat Dec 15, 2001, 03:29pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink

Next time, try this. After calling a foul, go toward the table and say, "Blue (pick a color neither team is wearing) 66, illegal crackback block. 15 yard penalty and the goalie is seatbelted for violation of the infield fly rule."

See what he does then.
Old Sat Dec 15, 2001, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Mark, have you been working with Dave again?:-)
Old Sun Dec 16, 2001, 12:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Spaman_29
Most scorers know who fouled because of either you bird-dogging or of how a player reacts. I usually tell them in the pre-game to humor us and at least look at us report. This will usually get a chuckle but unless there is a problem don't worry about it.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2001, 02:41am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Scorers and Timers are part of the team....

All of us (especially those who work lower level games) can quickly identify how miserable life can be when you have a timer and/or scorer who obviously are NOT interested in what is happening on the court.

If you have a scorer who is "anticipating the report" and honestly listens when you do report, LIFE IS GOOD. Consider the alternative.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2001, 06:13am
Official Forum Member

Don't fight it!

Most scorekeepers care and will do
the right thing.
The best you can do is go to your spot
and report as if they are giving you eye-contact.

War story from long ago:
Young female (20) married to coach,is the scorer.
When asked "How many team fouls?", her response
was "We're not in the bonus yet." This happened
every time I worked that school. After using several
different approaches without success, I gave up.
Some people are stubborn and think they have
the power.
It wouldn't be productive or professional to
cause a scene, and now many, many years later,
we interface in a business sense.
I'm glad I didn't force the issue.
Don't burn bridges.
Don't fight unecessary battles.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2001, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

A couple of weeks ago had a scorer running the possession arrow who wanted to point the arrow at the bench so "he" could keep it straight who got the ball next jump. I told him to set it the direction of travel and he said "hey you guys work for me, who signs your paycheck?" My response was as long as I'm on the court and I'm wearing the stripes you are working for me. Besideds I dont recall your name ever being on my check. Come to find out this guy was the head coach of the girls varsity team at the school where I was working. I did win the debate and got paid!!!
Old Sun Dec 16, 2001, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by co2ice
A couple of weeks ago had a scorer running the possession arrow who wanted to point the arrow at the bench so "he" could keep it straight who got the ball next jump. I told him to set it the direction of travel and he said "hey you guys work for me, who signs your paycheck?" My response was as long as I'm on the court and I'm wearing the stripes you are working for me. Besideds I dont recall your name ever being on my check. Come to find out this guy was the head coach of the girls varsity team at the school where I was working. I did win the debate and got paid!!!
At least he was consistant. The worst is the scorers who switch the arrow either after the throw-in is released or, even worse, switches the arrow before the player even has the ball for the throw-in.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2001, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

I've had more problems this year with the AP arrow than ever before. Had a giy a couple of nights ago that wanted to point the arrow towards the team's bench, not their basket.

BTW, when I ask a scorer what the team fouls are, I don't want to know if we're in the bonus or not. I want to know what the team fouls are. If I didn't, I wouldn't have asked. I don't have to make a scene to find out. But the good news is that I'm getting better at remembering without the help of the scorer or board.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Dec 16, 2001, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

I get that in intramurals, too.

How many fouls on B?

"We're not at the 1 and 1 yet."

You ask again and again, then just drop it and hope they get it right when it's time for the 1 and 1.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2001, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

I don't drop it. I simply walk over to the table and very professionally ask them how many team fouls there are or I look at the book myself.

I don't want to know when we get to 7. I want to know when we get to 6, so that I'm prepared to get the shooter when the next foul is called. That way, I don't get caught wondering, "Oh $hit, who got fouled?"

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Dec 16, 2001, 04:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Pregame issue.

If the scorer has his/her head in the book when you are trying to report the foul just stand there. Wait until the scorer or the other table people realizes that you are just standing there. Then report your foul. Then after you have done that, go directly to the table and tell him/her, "it is not a foul until I or my partner(s) report it."

Who cares if you birddog or not, I have been on the floor and did not realize who exactly my partner called a foul on. I tell the table that this is a "pet-peeve" of mine to get across the point that I am the one that reports the fouls, they just record it.

In my first year, I had two players with the same number guarding each other. We called several fouls between the two, and the scorer put the wrong #45 in the book after he began to start writing after I called a foul. Well it happen to be the home team player, and he was fouled out of the game with 4 fouls (5 in the book). But it was too late because it was not until later in the game it was realized. Too late then to start assuming what happen 2 quarters ago. This has never happen to me since.

Peace