The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

If a foul was called why was his beef with you unless he wanted a flagarant.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 03:55pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMUplayer View Post
If a foul was called why was his beef with you unless he wanted a flagarant.
A lot of coaches and fans seem to think we have the magical ability to keep players from getting hurt.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Some "fans" think that if players get hurt/injured, it's because the officials didn't do their jobs.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 09:08pm
Esteemed Forum Member

What's The Matter With Kids Today ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Opinions aren't necessary equal. And punctuation would certainly help your presentation.
When my daughter emails me, her emails lack capital letters. I wish that she would get that shift key fixed on her keyboard.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 11:23pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Opinions aren't necessary equal. And punctuation would certainly help your presentation.
Since we have decide to become grammar police I might suggest to you that starting a sentence with a conjunction is not the best way to tell someone their punctuation is lacking. While not strictly forbidden, it is considered acceptable only in informal written communication.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 11:38pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
Since we have decide to become grammar police I might suggest to you that starting a sentence with a conjunction is not the best way to tell someone their punctuation is lacking. While not strictly forbidden, it is considered acceptable only in informal written communication.
Since when are we formal here?

We are, however, a step above ten-year-olds text messaging. I hope.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Since when are we formal here?

We are, however, a step above ten-year-olds text messaging. I hope.
And that "rule" has largely been put to rest.
Old Fri Dec 06, 2013, 12:00am
beware big brother

Perhaps we are not that formal. It is still ironic to point out another's lack of grammar using sentence structure that isn't widely accepted.
Old Fri Dec 06, 2013, 12:06am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Perhaps we are not that formal. It is still ironic to point out another's lack of grammar using sentence structure that isn't widely accepted.
I'll point out that this is merely your opinion.

Quote:
A frequently asked question about conjunctions is whether and or but can be used at the beginning of a sentence. This is what R.W. Burchfield has to say about this use of and:

There is a persistent belief that it is improper to begin a sentence with And, but this prohibition has been cheerfully ignored by standard authors from Anglo-Saxon times onwards. An initial And is a useful aid to writers as the narrative continues.
from The New Fowler's Modern English Usage
edited by R.W. Burchfield. Clarendon Press: Oxford, England. 1996.
Used with the permission of Oxford University Press.
Old Fri Dec 06, 2013, 12:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You'd have a good point if your assertion about its acceptance were actually correct.
Old Fri Dec 06, 2013, 12:46am
beware big brother

Next time you are writing a report at work, a cover letter for a new job, or anything else that requires a degree of professionalism, go ahead and start sentences with coordinating conjunctions and see how it works out for you. Doing so is a grammatical trick that should be used judiciously and is really only effective in narratives and story telling.
Old Fri Dec 06, 2013, 12:52am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Next time you are writing a report at work, a cover letter for a new job, or anything else that requires a degree of professionalism, go ahead and start sentences with coordinating conjunctions and see how it works out for you. Doing so is a grammatical trick that should be used judiciously and is really only effective in narratives and story telling.
Or internet boards. Punctuation still helps - even if it's not correct - with readability. Rich's point is still valid. I'm not sure what yours is.
Old Fri Dec 06, 2013, 12:56am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I'm not sure what yours is.
Someone once told me never to end a sentence with a preposition. I told them prepositions are not things I end sentences with! :)
Old Fri Dec 06, 2013, 02:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sorry, already do most of those things...and not one person cares.

I doubt I could find one person that matters that actually cares anything about a preposition at the beginning of a sentence. There would be very few jobs that depend on rigid academic grammar that would be worth having. Most intelligent hiring managers care about how well you might actually do the job, not some archaic grammar rule.
Old Fri Dec 06, 2013, 08:42am
Esteemed Forum Member

Lost In Space ...

Since we're nitpicking, we can tell the age of posters on the Forum by how many spaces they place after a period at the end of a sentence. Old timers like me, who learned to type on a typewriter (look it up younguns, or watch for one on Antiques Roadshow) were taught to hit the space bar twice after the period at the end of a sentence. Forum members who grew up during the digital age, and learned to "type" on a keyboard, are taught to only hit the space bar once after the period at the end of a sentence, which is now considered the accepted practice.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Closed Thread